Windfest 2016

Created by Windfest2016 > 9 months ago, 17 Feb 2016
andysails
SA, 79 posts
2 Mar 2016 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said...
Feeling a little intimidated with the prospect of what happens at windfest. Just checking there will be a place for a 'keen beginner' like myself to make something of the event.

Already signed up and have the time off. Looking forward to lots of sailing. Just checking what to expect as I could go to the lake instead if I've bitten off more than I can chew??

Cheers Jeff
Feeling a little overawed

You'll be right Jeff. I felt the same my first Windfest. Once you start sailing on that flat water it's all good!

Surfinfreak
QLD, 289 posts
2 Mar 2016 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Mate i have never been to windfest either. Starting to get really amped for it, but knowing i am not going to be in the same league as a lot of guys there. Just going for the experience

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
2 Mar 2016 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said...
Feeling a little intimidated with the prospect of what happens at windfest. Just checking there will be a place for a 'keen beginner' like myself to make something of the event.

Already signed up and have the time off. Looking forward to lots of sailing. Just checking what to expect as I could go to the lake instead if I've bitten off more than I can chew??

Cheers Jeff
Feeling a little overawed

Sail Jeff, you'll have a great time , learn at lot and find some new sore bits. It was my 13 year old's first comp and had never planed before Burum, she loved it. Still talks about it. The hard bit is the upwind sailing to get to the flat sand banks. If that's not an issue you'll be fine. Enjoy

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
2 Mar 2016 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

You'll be fine Jeff, you can sail at your own pace, and you can walk along the bank to get upwind if you need to. Theres always a great bunch of folk who love to chat. Its a great place to learn as well.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
2 Mar 2016 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

........and lots of low tide walking

andysails
SA, 79 posts
3 Mar 2016 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

WindGuru forecast has improved this morning...

TRIMMER
QLD, 213 posts
3 Mar 2016 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Wind yes .i thought it was going to be a beer fest .
Something for Wednesday session apparently we are going to have a solar eclipse best seen from Darwin or Indonesia. .
Might get a bit dark if overcast

jamesf
NSW, 992 posts
3 Mar 2016 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Good luck with the event guys, looking great.

If you need a PFD, the NP ones are great. They have a strap to connect to your harness so they don't ride up, and you can get a water pouch to attach to the back. Most of the guys down here racing use these.

http://www.sunshinecoastsailboards.com.au/shop/safety-gear/impact-floatation-vests/np-high-hook-buoyancy-vest-detail

Mine came from Windsurfnsnow in Sydney. Can probably buy them in Brisbane as well at the local NP dealer.

AusMoz
QLD, 1451 posts
3 Mar 2016 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
greenleader said..

........and lots of low tide walking

yeah the walk sux!

But the beer after it is goooooood!

John340
QLD, 3137 posts
4 Mar 2016 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

I understand that perhaps 10 sailors have been unable to register because the limit of 55 sailors for the event. I have registered so I have no vested interest in this , but I would have thought as a sailboarding community we should be maximising the participation in the event

rrdsailor
QLD, 120 posts
4 Mar 2016 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..
I understand that perhaps 10 sailors have been unable to register because the limit of 55 sailors for the event. I have registered so I have no vested interest in this , but I would have thought as a sailboarding community we should be maximising the participation in the event

I have registered too, shame to limit the event to 55 can't see what
difference another handful would make. The more people to come and enjoy
what Windfest has to offer the better.

WindWanderers
QLD, 357 posts
4 Mar 2016 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys and Girls attending windfest,

What we can share it that most, if not all, of what has been raised is subject to governing body guidelines and MSQ applications and approvals.

We hope participants attending this year will have a great time and for those that are not able too attend we will naturally review how capacity can be addressed.

See you there

Cheers

Windwanderers

Custom1111
QLD, 119 posts
5 Mar 2016 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be there on Saturday, love to see more "unregistered " sailors there. It's one of the best spots in the world and just seeing all the sailors out there is a magnificent view. sailing at high tide before the speed run opens is lots of fun...

Have fun and break some records guys!

Windfest2016
21 posts
6 Mar 2016 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Any Windfest readers that are not already on their way up there!

Monday Morning Sign on -

8.45 - 9.45 Am at the Lions Park

Briefing is at 10.00Am Sharp

Pub 6Pm!

T- Shirts are looking Hot this year!

Alewi62
QLD, 158 posts
6 Mar 2016 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Burrum Windfest- all systems go for tomorrows event.
Some sailors having a test run on the course today

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
6 Mar 2016 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

I'm there.

Alewi62
QLD, 158 posts
6 Mar 2016 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

if you are not sure where the lions park is. it is the Western end of Burrum St.
Go past the shops, past the caravan park, past Ross St and then you have found it.

<div class="rytwrp">Lions Park Burrum Heads
Burrum Street

Soulsailor
QLD, 17 posts
7 Mar 2016 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Richie, did Simon F give you a little present to deliver ? My week finished before it began with a back injury, so I'll need to get a mate from Mackay to do the pick up bring it back. If you can get in contact I will give you the mobile so he can hunt you down.
Enjoy the week everyone...Troy

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
7 Mar 2016 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Soulsailor said..
Hey Richie, did Simon F give you a little present to deliver ? My week finished before it began with a back injury, so I'll need to get a mate from Mackay to do the pick up bring it back. If you can get in contact I will give you the mobile so he can hunt you down.
Enjoy the week everyone...Troy

Argh bummer Troy. Have you tried the local hardware - I think they sell cups of cement

Soulsailor
QLD, 17 posts
7 Mar 2016 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Your right, Sausage... I'm getting soft. Bloody frustrating, as this is the first year I've been set up with some decent kit for 20knt+ conditions. You looking like a goer?

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
7 Mar 2016 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Soulsailor said..
Your right, Sausage... I'm getting soft. Bloody frustrating, as this is the first year I've been set up with some decent kit for 20knt+ conditions. You looking like a goer?

Forecast and work dependent atm. Unfortunately not looking too good on either front but hopefully the guys get some decent wind for the week. very frustrating when we all come together and Huey decides that our sacrifices have not been enough.

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
7 Mar 2016 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Yep I brought up your boom. It's at Rays place at the moment. (Here in Burrum.)

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
7 Mar 2016 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

BRIEFING !!!

!

ka72
QLD, 580 posts
8 Mar 2016 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like Byron and Bruce will be the ones to chase down today wearing the yellow and red rashies.

Was a great night at the pub last night for opening drinks and nice to catch up with everyone.

Windfest2016
21 posts
8 Mar 2016 7:04AM
Thumbs Up

Day 1 results, By KA72.com...light winds up there yesterday, followed by not so light drinking at the Pub!

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
8 Mar 2016 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

I think my gps got no signal tucked into my pfd pocket.... I reckon I was doing 20 knots when I hit that sandbank and went
arse over....

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
8 Mar 2016 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

some pics day one.

JustinL
NSW, 467 posts
Site Sponsor
8 Mar 2016 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Im driving up today with my 10 yr old, Alex. We are very excited!!

We are bringing some cool giveaways from windsurfingreligion.com

On the way we are picking up a Allen Windsup Ripper and a new Patrik for Hugh M.

Alex has a BIC Techno plus the Allen windSUP and I have a Patrik F-Race 130 and Slalom 128.

Also have a F-Cross 102 for the road trip on the way home

regards Justin L

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
8 Mar 2016 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Oh yeah, forgot this.

hooray
QLD, 335 posts
8 Mar 2016 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant KA 72, just Brilliant Dylan.

Thanks for your support and sponsorship.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Windfest 2016" started by Windfest2016