Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Windfest 2016

Created by Windfest2016 > 9 months ago, 17 Feb 2016
Windfest2016
21 posts
17 Feb 2016 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Windfest news posted in the general section...including today's Local News Video!!

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Windfest-2016/

grich62
QLD, 665 posts
19 Feb 2016 6:41AM
Thumbs Up

is it ok to turn up and join and register when i arrive, i don't know if i am fit enough to do all of the event and how long i can stay.

F2
QLD, 209 posts
19 Feb 2016 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Hi grich62, it is okay to turn up and register on the day, come along you will have a ball

Windfest2016
21 posts
22 Feb 2016 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Two weeks and counting, pre registrations have been great, almost as good as these SE winds we have been getting lately!

Big thanks to our sponsors who have all produced the goods by way of great random prizes to be won.

Bookings and registrations on line at http://www.windwanderers.org.au/Events/BurrumWindfest/OnlineEntryFees.aspx

Windfest2016
21 posts
23 Feb 2016 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

More great news with Jesper @ Vector Fins Australia getting behind the event also!

you could win an awesome go fast fin from Vector simply by attending, all prizes are lucky Random Draw.

You could also win a 'CLIP' harness lines these are a radically different solution to the mucking around of having to pull apart your boom when changing lines,
learn more about them here www.clipharnessline.com/

Windfest2016
21 posts
26 Feb 2016 5:54AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all quick update on events progress, further details on daily events and other information to follow through next few days and upcoming week.

Please note:! The event is very close to FULL! , we are limited to a maximum of 60 competitors due to safety and event permits.

We have approximately 10 spaces left. so grab your entry on line (still few days left at cheap rates save $50!) @ http://www.windwanderers.org.au/Events/BurrumWindfest/OnlineEntryFees.aspx

Windfest2016
21 posts
26 Feb 2016 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Edit to the above limit for safety and permit is 55, last count was 48 already registered, if you or your mates haven't done so, time to get on line and register is now!

Windfest2016
21 posts
26 Feb 2016 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, Windfest 2016 is a sell out!

If you have planned your trip but not yet registered online, please contact us via the Windwanderers Website and we will sort it for you.

More updates on the event during the week , now all we need is some wind.. its going to be a great week.

Enjoy the Surf and or Wind this weekend!

Windfest2016
21 posts
1 Mar 2016 5:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

Windfest is locked and loaded, record crowd, more prizes more activities than ever, now we just need some wind!

Couple of house keeping items to do:

1. you should have received an email from Windwanderes recently asking to do 'register on line' this is your registration form that needs to be completed, different document to your entry fee, so if everyone could do that asap that would be great.

Safety.
Unprecedented safety plans and resources have been implemented this year, with record numbers we ant to keep everyone safe, we ask competitors to help out with this with the following, if you haven't sailed Burrum before its Km's from start to end points, so could be a while before help arrives.

1. PFD , non negotiable, no floatie, no sail!

2. spare 4m tow rope, on person/board when sailing

3. spare equipment rope on board

4. WATER either have a water pac whilst sailing on bring some water down to the bank whilst sailing, you can be away for hours at a time at Burrum and its sure to be hot, very easy to dehydrate, we will have waters back at HQ also.

5. Sunscreen, as above, even if cloudy or wet

6. Booties, there are some sharpies tucked away in the sand flats, not a bad idea to use them at least whilst carrying your gear

7. Pea less whistle on person/pfd...really helpful if we are trying to find you out at sea!

8. give all your a gear a good check over before arriving, check uni's, ropes, cleats, harness lines etc.

9. Follow the event manager and safety officers briefing each day, to be up to date on local conditions.

10. Have fun and keep it real!

kato
VIC, 3398 posts
1 Mar 2016 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

A pity about the OTT safety stuff, that sort of requirements would have stopped my daughter from sailing a few years ago. Any juniors sailing this year ?

grich62
QLD, 665 posts
1 Mar 2016 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

can you tel me if a inflatable pfd is ok can not sail with life vest or jet ski vest as im to big

DavoB
QLD, 7 posts
1 Mar 2016 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Kato I think some rope, a pfd, a whistle attached to your pfd, some water, booties for sharp rocks, sunscreen - all sound fairly standard safety equipment. Which one of these was stopping your daughter from going sailing? I think maybe a helmet would be good for speed sailing too. I hear it is 5km offshore.

Windfest2016
21 posts
1 Mar 2016 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

bring both just in case event safety manager will check what's the best option, the PFD is the non negotiable item on the list, the others just practical really, you can get sunstroke/dehydrated and feet cut to pieces if you wish.

As mentioned you can get a long way from home, depends on where you are we can be talking kilometres! So it can be hard to see anyone floating about out the back, could be a while before you are reached, nice if you can kick back with something to float you and enjoy the serenity!

If you don't like the whistle you can bring a flute or clarinet if you like, so long as its in tune we don't really mind!

F2
QLD, 209 posts
1 Mar 2016 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

As the safety officer for the Burrum event and a person who as sailed Burrum more than anybody you do need all that safety gear, also I wear a helmet all the time I go out at Burrum.

kato
VIC, 3398 posts
1 Mar 2016 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavoB said...
Kato I think some rope, a pfd, a whistle attached to your pfd, some water, booties for sharp rocks, sunscreen - all sound fairly standard safety equipment. Which one of these was stopping your daughter from going sailing? I think maybe a helmet would be good for speed sailing too. I hear it is 5km offshore.

Not a hope for her carting all that stuff. I guess that's were the support boat was very handy. Have fun all, hopefully there some real wind for Daffy. It's not a hard place to sail, hopefully there are some juniors sailing.

DavoB
QLD, 7 posts
1 Mar 2016 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Really! if she cant wear a pfd she cant go in any event.

grich62
QLD, 665 posts
1 Mar 2016 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
grich62 said..
can you tel me if a inflatable pfd is ok can not sail with life vest or jet ski vest as im to big

just got an answer not allowed to use inflatable pfd , as i can not use a bouyancy vest (i am claustrophobic) i have to withdraw ,very disappointed, but there is now 1 spot avaliable for some one

andysails
SA, 79 posts
2 Mar 2016 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
grich62 said...

just got an answer not allowed to use inflatable pfd , as i can not use a bouyancy vest (i am claustrophobic) i have to withdraw ,very disappointed, but there is now 1 spot avaliable for some one

That's a shame Greg, I'll have to show you the run another time you're down this way. Incidentally, I have a couple of spare PFD's in a medium to large size if anyone needs one! Also if anyone needs booties, the local windsurf shop has heaps and they're on special at the moment.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
2 Mar 2016 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
grich62 said...
grich62 said..

I'll miss your company and support Greg

Catch up at Elanda soon??

Cheers Jeff

Surfinfreak
QLD, 289 posts
2 Mar 2016 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andysails said..

grich62 said...

That's a shame Greg, I'll have to show you the run another time you're down this way. Incidentally, I have a couple of spare PFD's in a medium to large size if anyone needs one! Also if anyone needs booties, the local windsurf shop has heaps and they're on special at the moment.

Andy, are you bringing the pfd's along, if you are I may need to borrow one, if thats ok??

DarkHorse
QLD, 129 posts
2 Mar 2016 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

I don't understand why a inflatable vest is not allowed, they often comply to higher standards than most of the current vests I see sailors using.
I often use a manual operation inflatable vest and it is legal to use in the Brisbane to Gladstone which is Cat 2 requirements.
Certainly auto inflatable would not work as the thing would inflate when you fell in... but a inflatable has far more buoyancy once inflated and would hold one's head clear above water when a vest would not?
I'm just a little confused..

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
2 Mar 2016 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
grich62 said..

grich62 said..

Grinch just go, it's a great event with lots of top gals and guys, fun times.

I was just thinking and please don't shoot me if not ethical, can Grinch just sail banks without being in the comp. After he can just compare his speeds with his mates, have a yack, laugh and share a beer ?

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
2 Mar 2016 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

@Darkhorse, I imagine the issue would be that if you manage to knock yourself out or somehow become incapacitated, you won't be able to inflate the jacket. This is still an issue when yacht racing but most guys on boats will use a self inflating type as the plan is not to end up in the water. I don't know about Windfest but I'd be thinking that a foam pfd would simply be an insurance requirement for the event and it actually makes a great deal of sense to me.

grich62
QLD, 665 posts
2 Mar 2016 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
firiebob said..

grich62 said..

grich62 said..

Grinch just go, it's a great event with lots of top gals and guys, fun times.

I was just thinking and please don't shoot me if not ethical, can Grinch just sail banks without being in the comp. After he can just compare his speeds with his mates, have a yack, laugh and share a beer ?

I am going to give the trip a miss .I think me racing around will probably cause tension with other racers and really not right thing to do

snorkel962
QLD, 456 posts
2 Mar 2016 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear Greg that makes the Townsville contingent very small!

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
2 Mar 2016 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
grich62 said..

Yep, I think that could be good solution " in remote future"
1. Ladies should/could have inflatable boobs inserts - instead of just gel that is weight neutral in the water - so could serve only as weight for speed sailors
2. Man could have big air balloon in the belly - this way could explain and excuse that this simply internal PFD safety device not a "beer belly"
This will make sailing simpler , Those will big boobs and belly doesn't require PFD.

DarkHorse
QLD, 129 posts
2 Mar 2016 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

A foam jacket would not save you if you were knocked out either as they are more likely to turn you face down. A majority of sailors on Multi's in B2G actually have manual operated PFD's as Auto inflate are likely to go off when copping waves over you. I have however noticed in the Yachting Aus reg's that inflateable PFD's are not allowed on dinghy's or sailboards. Still seems strange as I would far prefer a Inflatable PFD over a vest if in the water for too long.. Rules are rules I guess.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
2 Mar 2016 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Feeling a little intimidated with the prospect of what happens at windfest. Just checking there will be a place for a 'keen beginner' like myself to make something of the event.

Already signed up and have the time off. Looking forward to lots of sailing. Just checking what to expect as I could go to the lake instead if I've bitten off more than I can chew??

Cheers Jeff
Feeling a little overawed

grich62
QLD, 665 posts
2 Mar 2016 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snorkel692 said..
Sorry to hear Greg that makes the Townsville contingent very small!

Throwing things up in the air at the moment thinking of coming down any way and stay away from racers, and free sailing.

grich62
QLD, 665 posts
2 Mar 2016 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jirvin4505 said..
Feeling a little intimidated with the prospect of what happens at windfest. Just checking there will be a place for a 'keen beginner' like myself to make something of the event.

Already signed up and have the time off. Looking forward to lots of sailing. Just checking what to expect as I could go to the lake instead if I've bitten off more than I can chew??

Cheers Jeff
Feeling a little overawed

don,t give up Jeff you will be fine,I am thinking of coming down any way,maybe as your personal coach.

grich62
QLD, 665 posts
2 Mar 2016 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macroscien said..

grich62 said..

Yep, I think that could be good solution " in remote future"
1. Ladies should/could have inflatable boobs inserts - instead of just gel that is weight neutral in the water - so could serve only as weight for speed sailors
2. Man could have big air balloon in the belly - this way could explain and excuse that this simply internal PFD safety device not a "beer belly"
This will make sailing simpler , Those will big boobs and belly doesn't require PFD.

Funny thing is i already float in water with out vests!!!, spent years getting to this ,just add beer

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Windfest 2016" started by Windfest2016