Thumbs Up

Kellie and Dylan have those. I am sure they will post them

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
13 Mar 2016 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyd said...
I can't remember my name let alone the photographers after that full on week of great sailing. Not going to have a weekend warm up at the lake before the event next year thats for sure.

Tony,
Dont know how you sailed 10 days straight (incl cootharabah). Great to catch up mate.

Big thanks to the race committee and all volunteers who made it a very enjoyable and successful event.

hooray
QLD, 335 posts
13 Mar 2016 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

PHOTO'S are ready thanks to Julie's long hours of preparation.

www.juliehartwigphotography.ifp3.com

tbwonder
NSW, 649 posts
13 Mar 2016 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

A short video of some of the action from last Thursday on the northern bank.

pp0__

GeoGeo
QLD, 146 posts
13 Mar 2016 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

This was my first racing event and what a great week.
Sailing was fantastic despite the wind being on a lighter site and the social part of the event couldn't be better. I've met many great sailors I only new from the Seabreeze forum. I've never seen funnier auctioneer than Sausage, you're really funny to have around despite you nearly took my house and bed over.
Big thanks to organizers and all volunteers who dedicated their time and energy into this event. I can't wait for the next year to do it again.
Well done everybody and thanks to all for having a great time.
Cheers
George (Red Baron)

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
13 Mar 2016 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GeoGeo said..
Sailing was fantastic despite the wind being on a lighter site and the social part of the event couldn't be better. I've met many great sailors I only new from the Seabreeze forum. I've never seen funnier auctioneer than Sausage, you're really funny to have around despite you nearly took my house and bed over.
Big thanks to organizers and all volunteers who dedicated their time and energy into this event. I can't wait for the next year to do it again.
Cheers
George (Red Baron)

George,
I'm just going to rock up next year and make myself at home wherever you're staying . Still laughing about it! Maybe next year you can find something you've never played before unlike pool.
PS - I won't give up my day job for auctioneering just yet.

GeoGeo
QLD, 146 posts
13 Mar 2016 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

GeoGeo said..
Cheers
George (Red Baron)

George,
I'm just going to rock up next year and make myself at home wherever you're staying . Still laughing about it! Maybe next year you can find something you've never played before unlike pool.
PS - I won't give up my day job for auctioneering just yet.

Hey Sausage, next year I'll chase you, I want to have a whole week of fun .
By the way did I tell you I've never sailed before...?? ha ha

ka72
QLD, 580 posts
14 Mar 2016 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

Trophy division winners were

Open division 5x10
1st Vando 30.62
2nd Byron 30.16
3rd Phil 28.94

Open division Nautical Mile Open

1st Byron 27.56
2nd Phil 26.88
3rd Vando 26.71

Overall best 2 second peak
1st Vando 32.24
2nd Steve C 31.71
3rd Shannon B 31.11

Overall best One Hour

1st Byron M 23.86
2nd Vando 22.61
3rd George 22.52

Legends division 5x10

1st Andrew D 27.88
2nd Stewart 26.78
3rd Greg B 26.63

Legends division Nautical Mile

1st Greg B 24.36
2nd Stewart 24.27
3rd Andrew D 24.04

(*apologies to Greg and Stewart I should have re checked results prior to presentation, didn't have Dylan there to double, triple check everything)

Ladies division 5x10

1st Kellie T 26.54
2nd Jo B 25.15
3rd Anne L 23.6

Ladies division nautical mile

1st Jo B 23.91
2nd Kellie T 23.2
3rd Anne L 20.66

Cumulative Overall top three positions for the week

OPEN

Byron M 112.31 point
Vando 112.71
Brian H 107.53

LEGENDS
Andrew D 102.24
Stewart 99.76
Bruce Healy 97.47

Dylan thought it might be interesting to add the total distance sailed for the week (just for bragging rights)
These three sailors spent the most time on the water during the event

Byron M 553.3 km
tibor F 488.21km
Steve C 480.73 km

WindWanderers
QLD, 354 posts
14 Mar 2016 6:33AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Folks,

This is a brief shout out to name names of folks that meant Windfest could run and was a success this year. A full report will be on our website and in the next edition of WindSurf Magazine.

Firstly I would like to acknowledge Justin Boland and Kellie Tusler who are previous organisers of this event and have provided the club a legacy to run the event this year. Thankyou

In no particular order the following people have contributed tirelessly in the last few weeks.

Ray Wilson and Geoff Ringe kept things running everyday from sun up to sun down and especially Friday night for the charity event at his place which raised much needed funds for Fighting Childhood Cancer through the Braver Stronger Smarter foundation. Also Rays wife and friends and the Burrum community who together contributed to make Friday night something special and then backed it up again saturday night for the presentations. And Richie Fish for the entertainment. And Brian for the auctioning work. We will talk more about this in detail. Thankyou to all.

Anne Lewis, the Secretary and Morgan Taylor, the Treasure have been fantastic in planning the event. Anne completed most of the necessary documentation, notice of race, to ensure it was managed on the course. Thankyou.

Michael Jones has worked with many sponsors to bring together all the fantastic prizes and has kept a steady stream of updates flowing leading up to and during the event to keep everyone informed. Thankyou

Dylan Tusler for the amazing KA72. The KA72 platform brought a new level of sophistication and dazzle to the event this year. Also for all the online registration system and management set up and all the other IT bits and bobs we take for granted. Thankyou

Kellie Tusler with her experience at the event kept allot of competitors updated with knowledge of how the event runs and organised the trophies. Thankyou.

Russel Witt, Tony Matta and the Lake Cootharaba Sailing pulled together the equipment and ran the coarse racing for the high tide sailors and did a fanatic job. Thankyou.

Vando for utilising his place for HQ sign on/off, briefings and BBQ. You are a champion in all sense of the word. Thankyou.

Graham from Hervey Bay stand up paddle for the Saturday SUP event at lions park which saw a huge turn out from the community and competitors in a fun SUP race. We hope to see you back next year. Graham and partner and also strongly behind the Braver Stonger Smarter foundation. Thankyou.

Paul Wallis for being on the course every day with his boat and the local marine shop that lent the competition two boats. The local volunteer marine for keeping an eye on us during the event. The local outrigger community for put on the big Wednesday paddle and the bowls club for the Mid week barefoot bowls and dinner. Thankyou

Julia for the great pictures and others like John and Dave which took some sweet shots during the week. Thankyou.

All our sponsors, the list is endless and we will address that with special acknowledgment in a separate communication.

Thankyou to all the competitors, because of you the event was bigger and better this year and we hope to see you all back next year.

To anyone I've overlooked remind me or just post here.

Cheers
WindWanderers

WindWanderers
QLD, 354 posts
14 Mar 2016 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Dwbh
QLD, 829 posts
14 Mar 2016 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WindWanderers said..
Hi Folks,

This is a brief shout out to name names of folks that meant Windfest could run and was a success this year. A full report will be on our website and in the next edition of WindSurf Magazine.

Firstly I would like to acknowledge Justin Boland and Kellie Tusler who are previous organisers of this event and have provided the club a legacy to run the event this year. Thankyou

In no particular order the following people have contributed tirelessly in the last few weeks.

Ray Wilson and Geoff Ringe kept things running everyday from sun up to sun down and especially Friday night for the charity event at his place which raised much needed funds for Fighting Childhood Cancer through the Braver Stronger Smarter foundation. Also Rays wife and friends and the Burrum community who together contributed to make Friday night something special and then backed it up again saturday night for the presentations. And Richie Fish for the entertainment. And Brian for the auctioning work. We will talk more about this in detail. Thankyou to all.

Anne Lewis, the Secretary and Morgan Taylor, the Treasure have been fantastic in planning the event. Anne completed most of the necessary documentation, notice of race, to ensure it was managed on the course. Thankyou.

Michael Jones has worked with many sponsors to bring together all the fantastic prizes and has kept a steady stream of updates flowing leading up to and during the event to keep everyone informed. Thankyou

Dylan Tusler for the amazing KA72 to support the event. The KA72 platform brought a new level of sophistication and dazzle to the event this year. Also all the online registration system and management set up by Dylan. Plenty many more IT bits and bobs we take for granted. Thankyou

Kellie Tusler with her experience at the event kept allot of competitors updated with knowledge of how the event runs and organised the trophies. Thankyou.

Russel Witt, Tony Matta and the Lake Cootharaba Sailing pulled together the equipment and ran the coarse racing for the high tide sailors and did a fanatic job. Thankyou.

Vando for utilising his place for HQ sign on/off, briefings and BBQ. You are a champion in all sense of word. Thankyou.

Graham from Hervey Bay stand up paddle for the Saturday SUP event at lions park which saw a huge turn out from the community and competitors in a fun SUP race. We hope to see you back next year. Graham and partner and also strongly behind the Braver Stonger Smarter foundation. Thankyou.

Paul Wallis for being on the course every day with his boat and the local marine shop that lent the competition two boats. The local volunteer marine for keeping an eye on us during the event. The local outrigger community for put on the big Wednesday paddle and the bowls club for the Mid week barefoot bowls and dinner. Thankyou

Julia for the great pictures and others like John and Dave which took some sweet shots during the week. Thankyou.

All our sponsors, the list is endless and we will address that with special acknowledgment in a separate communication.

Thankyou to all the competitors, because of you the event was bigger and better this year and we hope to see you all back next year.

To anyone I've overlooked remind me or just post here.

Cheers
WindWanderers

You missed one very important person, who played an integral part of the entire process. Yourself Bryn as current president of the Wind Wanderers your leadership was impeccable, inspiring and a credit to you and the people who helped make this happen.

Just saying

Cheers
Morgan and Anita

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8014 posts
14 Mar 2016 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hooray said..
PHOTO'S are ready thanks to Julie's long hours of preparation.

www.juliehartwigphotography.ifp3.com

Brilliant shots!

tbwonder
NSW, 649 posts
14 Mar 2016 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

I have calculated the overall cumulative totals from Dylans results on KA72

Rank Sailor Total
1 Byron Mcilveen ( ) 112.3
2 Vando (Michel Van Der Pligt) 112.18
3 Brian Hooper ( ) 107.53
4 Phil ( ) 107.47
5 TRIMMER (Shannon Blume) 107.09
6 AUS200 ( ) 105.41
7 Chriso ( ) 104.9
8 hugh morgan ( ) 104.69
9 Tony (Tony Dingle) 104.01
10 Red Baron ( ) 103.64
11 Bear (Robert Gordon) 103.35
12 John (John Scott) 103.01
13 Rolz (Roland Schmid) 102.92
14 Sailquik (Andrew Daff) 102.24
15 Andy (Andrew Hansen) 102.12
16 David Sandos ( ) 102.01
17 Andrew Haigh (Andrew Haigh) 101.03
18 Mark Jordan (Mark Jordan) 100.63
19 brynoz (Bryn Somers) 100.05
20 Darren Nicholas (Darren Nicholas) 99.84
21 AUS18 ( ) 99.83
22 Gordo ( ) 99.75
23 nic0 ( ) 97.75
24 Richo ( ) 97.58
25 Mathew ( ) 97.49
26 Bruce Healey ( ) 97.47
27 tibor ( ) 96.77
28 evilC (Clive Churchman) 96.53
29 Macroscien (Peter Bilski) 96.13
30 snorkel962 (michael corkeron) 96.03
31 Da Vecta ( ) 95.81
32 rudi (Greg ) 95.73
33 K T (Kellie Tusler) 94.46
34 starboardsailor (Darryl Jones) 94.33
35 Jo ( ) 92.11
36 Troy Scott ( ) 90.89
37 Tom Cameron ( ) 89.68
38 Adrian Rae ( ) 89.5
39 Michaelbrown1 ( ) 89.44
40 RussellW (Russell Witt) 89.22
41 Rob ( ) 89.07
42 ZbSailor ( ) 88.59
43 Nick Willey (Nick Willey) 87.92
44 Haggar (Glenn Young) 87.17
45 Anne (Anne Lewis) 83.97
46 Richard Jack ( ) 83.25
47 Jeffrey Irvin ( ) 70.91
48 Dean Raphael ( ) 61.01
49 mungaba63 ( ) 48.72

Windfest2016
21 posts
14 Mar 2016 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Well there it is was, Windfest No10! 9th at Burrum, pretty safe to say everyone had a great week, some really good numbers on the bigger kit were achieved, I'm pretty sure the speeds achieved wouldn't have been possible on such big gear 10 years ago, nothing in it at the top of the ladders either all very close.

Saturday was my personal highlight went pretty well in the SUP powered by left over amber ale fumes, then had a nice quiet quick blast early on the long bank Saturday arvo before the mass arrival happened! So glad so many out of towners got to sample the big main run, this is the run that really makes Burrum special, imagine it in 25-30 knts!

Also Saturday night great feast provided by Mrs Wilson and Dot (again backing up from Friday!)...the local effort and hospitality was out of this world and really made the event what it was, thank you again. I know only too well the time that goes into catering...which means these ladies slaved for hours before and on the days where we all gobbled the goodies. a really really big thank you.

Friday night was also massive and in case you missed the charity Auction organised by the Lord Mayor of Burrum raised $2,500! to children's cancer research, I can't think of a better cause...if you think of that issue and cause alone, it makes us very privileged people just to be in the position of windsurfing at Burrum, and it puts it all of it into perspective.

We would like to see that charity event continue in future events and have plans to make that contribution even bigger.

Personally I have no idea what I'm going to with a thick jacket better suited to Tassie or what to do with the ION midget GPS bashers but I'm sure they will all get used..have to wash the jacket though..smells like sausage!
The other weird thing is why the Surf FX pool table has a crucifix imbedded into the cloth...what goes on at that place??!!

Will leave the rest of the banter, stories and rumours for everyone else, but we need to also thanks our sponsors and supporters once again, and don't forget planning for WF 2017 will start shortly! So if you would like to be involved in any way, shape or form, it doesn't have to be a big commitment please let us know by dropping an private email in here.

The more people helping means the smaller the job list for everyone and the more time can be spent having fun! There is a lot of 'talk' about making the event even bigger and better in all sorts of ways in the future...but that is not possible with a decent size crack team of passionate people!

Also keep an eye out on your email later in the week for the Survey form, please take a moment to complete it as the feedback data is extremely important, and this survey form is where you get to have your input, unless of course you are on next years organising team!

In no particular order, big thanks to the following, please support these guys where you can ...

Ka72.com

Hot Sails Maui Australia

Windsurfing Religion

Surf FX

Australian Windsurf and Sup Magazine**, keep an eye out for next edition, also check the names list below.

Burrum elders real estate

Jordon's SUP and Windsurfing & Holiday Park

Sunshine Coast Sailboards

Windsurfing Gear

Board Crazy

Vector Fins

Hervey Bay Volunteer Marin rescue

Bay City Marine Hervey Bay

Burrum Heads Progress Association

Burrum heads outriggers - watch this space next year!

Paul Wallace - the big black boat!

Hervey Bay Stand Up Paddle ---- Special Note The windsurfers went 1 & 2 in SUP races! ..Michael Brown smashed em in the 12ft group! so the challenge has been set!

Julie Hartwig Photography

Clip Harness Lines

Burrum heads Food Worx

Windsurfing one design, was great watching these guys cruise around the SUP zone on Saturday, they are like mobile windsurfing adds for close to shore action!

Fraser Coast opportunities, Fraser Coast Tourism and events, Fraser Coast Council, Qld National Parks, Qld Water Police, the Community of Burrum heads.

'the wilsons' unofficial mayoral offices

Richie Fishes fantastic tones & entertainment on the big stage under the stars!

Sausage's rather questionable yet highly entertaining auctioneering skills

And last but no means least Windwanderers windsurfing club...if you want to get involved in the sport and help foster its growth and see events like this happen, there is no better way than to become a member and get involved, don't leave it to someone else!

If your name is here you have won a free subscription to Australian Windsurf Mag or SUP Magazine, please email through email here on SB us your contact details so we can sort for you.

WINDSURF
Richard Bryant
Paul Wallace
Tony Dingle
SUP
Clive Churchman
Byron Mcilveen
Michael Corkeron

Hope I have everyone covered? Its a long list!

Signing off!

Jonesy

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
14 Mar 2016 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

The best sailing event I've ever participated in, in nearly 45 years of sailing (windsurfers, dinghies and yachts). I'm totally stuffed after 8 consecutive days of windsurfing. Windwanders, you did a marvellous job, well supported by willing windsurfers in light but consistent sailable winds. Bring on 2017

Windfest2016
21 posts
14 Mar 2016 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

thanks John...just one last message...for those that are considering being involved on the organising team next year...
we tape all windfest meetings..they kind of look like this! (borrowed/stolen from Tassie page! )

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
14 Mar 2016 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

My Windfest testimonial. I had a great time. The original plan was just to come up and muck around windsurfing and socialize a bit for a bit of a holiday. I have never speed sailed before. Don't own a GPS. Ray talked me into entering with the lure of winning a prize. Then he lent me a GPS, so I might as well give it a go I thought. Glad I did. What a buzz, whizzing down the speed bank on totally flat water. I don't have the fast gear (yet) but it's still heaps of fun. The ritual became lazing around all morning to conserve energy, then everybody emerges rigs up and wanders over the sandbank to the water. This is followed by full on sailing for about four hours, back to shore, have a shower then off to that nights social activity (beers).Sleep. Repeat daily. I'll be back for more next year.

tbwonder
NSW, 649 posts
14 Mar 2016 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

A few stills extracted from the video posted earlier.

jirvin4505
QLD, 1087 posts
14 Mar 2016 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Txt from my mate Tony.....Was the trip up there worth going? Going next year?

>Overall I think yes. Very arduous getting onto the course. Once out on the course it was all very doable for an early intermediate - I've never had it so good! Opportunity to put names to faces. Lots of helping advice and assistance.

The sailing conditions are like being on another planet - still coming to terms with the long planing runs. Would be much more fun if I had my crew of 'improvers' there to chew the fat with - share our highs and lows.

Never been so close to world standard sailing - so even outstanding from a spectator perspective.

I've got to learn/practice sailing on smaller fins and working on gybes/tacks - lot of energy wasted getting started in deeper water when I pulled up too soon - usually because I was cautious of running aground with big fins

Really echo the testimonials above .. Now that I've been definitely got to go again.

Cheers Jeff
'Keen Beginner'

spanishwog
QLD, 115 posts
14 Mar 2016 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Just wanted to add my 2 bobs worth:
Have been sailing many years but have only recently got myself a GPS. Grew up in HB but sailed Burrum for the very first time at Christmas - WOW - just had to come back - so Windfest here I come!!
Sailed the week on freeride gear - trying to stay out of the way of the much quicker slalom riders (didn't always succeed) but still had an absolute ball.
The highlight was just being on the water with 50 other boards - spectacular.
Anyone thinking about heading to Windfest 2017 - from a first time attendee - I highly recommend it. I will become a 2 time attendee next year. Even have told the boss today that I will be having the whole week!!
Thanks to all the hard workers for putting on the event and all the friendly faces that were more than happy to have a chat about all things windsurfing.
cheers
Troy

wongi
QLD, 51 posts
14 Mar 2016 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

We would like to personally thank the wind Wanderers and windsursurfers and partners that came and attended and donated to the charity through the auction and the sup race, (Jonesy , had I given you a longer board you would've won),
The charity benefiting are blown away a donation from an unlikely source , with a total of over $3500.
And again Ray and Gail deserve a huge thanks for making this happen.
We would love to be part of it again next year.
You never know a Sup'er might even win.
Graham (wongi) and Lisa
Hervey Bay stand up paddle

hooray
QLD, 335 posts
15 Mar 2016 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

Don,t forget to check out the photos of the windsurfing and sup on juliehartwigphotography web site.

if you do not see a photo of yourself, you can email Julie with your description of your rig and she will try to find it amongst the 1000 shots she has taken.

You can purchase 1 or a bundle of photos at a vere reasonable cost.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
15 Mar 2016 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hooray said..
Don,t forget to check out the photos of the windsurfing and sup on juliehartwigphotography web site.

if you do not see a photo of yourself, you can email Julie with your description of your rig and she will try to find it amongst the 1000 shots she has taken.

You can purchase 1 or a bundle of photos at a vere reasonable cost.

They really are fantastic photos mate !
Did Julie or anyone else take any photos on the main bank on Saturday, I'd really like to see those ?

byronmc
NSW, 503 posts
15 Mar 2016 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

I would like to thank all the organisers for a great event and a great week of sailing with so many windsurfers.
I really enjoyed the event.
7 days straight of sailing and just under 700km sailed very happy Chappy .

byronmc
NSW, 503 posts
15 Mar 2016 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Will try and get there next year.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
15 Mar 2016 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
byronmc said..
Will try and get there next year.

No ifs or buts Byron - Queensland law dictates you have to defend your title! I wouldn't want to miss you and Vando going neck & neck for the entire week.

JustinL
NSW, 467 posts
Site Sponsor
15 Mar 2016 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Video of our experience at Burrum. What a fantastic place! My third time, Alex's first.
The video includes the road trip. There is no windsurfing after the footage of the Q1 tower in the Gold Coast.
enjoy
regards Justin
Windsurfing Religion (event sponsor)

.be

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8014 posts
15 Mar 2016 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

I hope to make the trip next year- if its lightwinds it will just be for fun as if my 115 ltre x 75cm board gets over 25kts it's break out the champagne time..

wongi
QLD, 51 posts
15 Mar 2016 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

We made the local news!
C:\fakepath\trim.77D2D703-CAB3-48C9-83E4-3A6F9BCBDFB3.MOV

byronmc
NSW, 503 posts
16 Mar 2016 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Can someone post the news link that will take you directly to it

Subscribe