DUOTONE Slick 2024 - any rumours yet?

Created by riverripper 9 months ago, 29 Nov 2023
Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
16 Dec 2023 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rolavi said..
I am always eyeing Alan Cadiz videos to see what's in the works via Duotone on prototypes.

My Slicks asks: pentax/Mod3 materials, new Handles like the on newest units and Ventis. Yes I said no boom. Front handle is basically so long it's become a mini boom now and the angles of both handles work great. Boom strut inflation point option for stiffer strut. Padded airport cap. Thanks.

The boom is the whole point of the Slick. Might as well just buy a Unit.

Rolavi
16 posts
16 Dec 2023 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..

Rolavi said..
I am always eyeing Alan Cadiz videos to see what's in the works via Duotone on prototypes.

My Slicks asks: pentax/Mod3 materials, new Handles like the on newest units and Ventis. Yes I said no boom. Front handle is basically so long it's become a mini boom now and the angles of both handles work great. Boom strut inflation point option for stiffer strut. Padded airport cap. Thanks.

I was waiting for that one. I own units and no it's not.

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
16 Dec 2023 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rolavi said..

Faff said..

Rolavi said..

Other brands are adding boom options to their wings. Duotone must have gotten something right.

Rolavi
16 posts
17 Dec 2023 12:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..

Rolavi said..

Faff said..

Rolavi said..

Other brands are adding boom options to their wings. Duotone must have gotten something right.

I can have valid opinions and things can be more nuanced than your comments here. I Ride slick and units. I have ridden booms tbe last 2 years. I like some aspects and dislike others . I like the new handles on my Ventis almost like a mini boom and the handle angles work for me. Best of both worlds for me. I don't like it when my boom gets sloshy in the attachment points. The webbing stretches on my most used wings. I don't like traveling with separate booms so much. Doesn't mean I won't continue on with booms and sls. I can't wait to see what comes. Need to replace my 5m slick. Looking at new unit, ozone flux and ppc m1. But may wait on newslicks.

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
17 Dec 2023 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rolavi said..

Faff said..

Rolavi said..

Faff said..

Rolavi said..

I can have valid opinions and things can be more nuanced than your comments here. I Ride slick and units. I have ridden booms tbe last 2 years. I like some aspects and dislike others . I like the new handles on my Ventis almost like a mini boom and the handle angles work for me. Best of both worlds for me. I don't like it when my boom gets sloshy in the attachment points. The webbing stretches on my most used wings. I don't like traveling with separate booms so much. Doesn't mean I won't continue on with booms and sls. I can't wait to see what comes. Need to replace my 5m slick. Looking at new unit, ozone flux and ppc m1. But may wait on newslicks.

I thought that the webbing would be the weak point, but the Slick SLS is the stiffest and most direct feeling wing I've tried. I do pump them 0.5 PSI higher.

Dspace
VIC, 300 posts
24 Dec 2023 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

I thought that the webbing would be the weak point, but the Slick SLS is the stiffest and most direct feeling wing I've tried. I do pump them 0.5 PSI higher.

Completely agree. Easy to make my own custom carbon booms that are just as good as Duotone SLS carbon booms at a fraction of the cost, and they lock in as tight as ever. No play at all after closing in on 2 seasons
I've also hauled my 4 SLS Slicks (6, 5, 4, 3m) on a seriously long flight twice now ( North Carolina to Melbourne) and no way would I want to deal with the bulk and weight of 4 permanent handle sets versus one boom. Wings pack up really nice and tight. Just gonna start leaving a boom and board here in Australia so no more oversized bags on future trips.

Definitely not trying to make this a boom versus handle debate. I just want to voice my enthusiastic vote for a continued removable boom option.

Rolavi
16 posts
3 Jan 2024 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

You have me given an idea as I will have these slicks for some time. I could make my own carbon boom a tiny bit longer to tighten it on my older most used wings. Thanks.

Rolavi
16 posts
3 Jan 2024 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

You have me given an idea as I will have these slicks for some time. I could make my own carbon boom a tiny bit longer to tighten it on my older most used wings. Thanks.

motogon
183 posts
10 Mar 2024 1:40AM
Thumbs Up

Question to those who already tested 2024 Slick: how big difference compare to 2023 model? I'm on market for new wings (4.0 and 5.0) as my Slick SLS getting too old/used. Should I buy 2023 model or wait (and pay extra) for 2024?

Foxi
125 posts
10 Mar 2024 4:27AM
Thumbs Up

taken from german Oase Forum - same span as 2023, more rounded tips, no on water experience yet

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
10 Mar 2024 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Looks the same 3 years in a row. Maybe that's a good thing.

Bennis123
63 posts
10 Mar 2024 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

Have they figured out how to make a proper front/flagging handle yet?

airsail
QLD, 1347 posts
10 Mar 2024 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bennis123 said..

Yes, I was trying to zoom in on that too.

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
10 Mar 2024 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bennis123 said..

"You are holding it wrong". I hardly ever bother with mine and hold by the boom.

leepasty
371 posts
11 Mar 2024 12:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bennis123 said..

How do you mean? I find the Duotone front flag handle as good or better than any others. it's just as stiff as Armstrong and Fone, and has the nice soft pad behind for knuckles unlike some. I'm not sure I want a hard handle off the front as could see issues with board damage and the current handle on the 24 unit works good for me

Bennis123
63 posts
11 Mar 2024 3:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

Bennis123 said..

How do you mean? I find the Duotone front flag handle as good or better than any others. it's just as stiff as Armstrong and Fone, and has the nice soft pad behind for knuckles unlike some. I'm not sure I want a hard handle off the front as could see issues with board damage and the current handle on the 24 unit works good for me

I find the handle on my SLS way too floppy. Might be other design characteristics playing in too, but I find the wing flaps all over the place when using the flag our handle.

Nikita
QLD, 212 posts
11 Mar 2024 6:09AM
Thumbs Up

Dang, I was really hoping for a rigid front handle. Looks like I'll have to modify it myself for now. Fingers crossed for 2025 wings

leepasty
371 posts
11 Mar 2024 4:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bennis123 said..

leepasty said..

Bennis123 said..

I find the handle on my SLS way too floppy. Might be other design characteristics playing in too, but I find the wing flaps all over the place when using the flag our handle.

23 slick and more 24 Unit way better behaved flagged out than the sls. They did stiffen the handle up a bit since the sls & 23 unit too with extra side webbing and insert inside handle

MrFish
156 posts
11 Mar 2024 4:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

Bennis123 said..

leepasty said..

Bennis123 said..

23 slick and more 24 Unit way better behaved flagged out than the sls. They did stiffen the handle up a bit since the sls & 23 unit too with extra side webbing and insert inside handle

Still **** compared to most manufacturers though, can't get my head around why they can't work it out. All that development and expertise they have in design and get this basic feature wrong from model to model !

leepasty
371 posts
11 Mar 2024 5:00AM
Thumbs Up

I still don't see how the Duotone flag handle is any worse than others? we have big demo event here next month I'm gonna make a video looking at all brands front handles see how they compare

NatHimmeshoff
3 posts
11 Mar 2024 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

Duotone Slick 2024
42240-3520

Designed with a rounded shape that easily recovers from taps against wingtips, the 2024 Slick offers improved stability thanks to a refined panel layout and better fabric tension. It delivers instant power and remains light and neutral. The specially designed MOD3 offers durability and instant power. The improved panel layout means that hand positions do not need to be adjusted during gusts of wind. With excellent control and power management, the 2024 Slick is a versatile wing suitable for freeride and freestyle, providing an enhanced waving experience thanks to advanced features for maximum performance and control.

Features of the Duotone Slick 2024:

Reduced Tip Drag
Improved Draft Stability
Power delivery
Effortless
MOD3 canopy enhancements

NatHimmeshoff
3 posts
11 Mar 2024 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

besides the two colorways posted in the photos above (CO7:Yellow? and C08:Blue? maybe), it also looks like there is additionally going to be a blank/undyed/no-color "Concept Blue" variant colorway of the 2024 Slick as well:

C10:undyed-white

Long time lurker, first time poster. so, I can't post photos or links yet. Is there some way I can get photo posting permissions from the admins, so that I can put some accompanying photos in this thread?

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
11 Mar 2024 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NatHimmeshoff said..
besides the two colorways posted in the photos above (CO7:Yellow? and C08:Blue? maybe), it also looks like there is additionally going to be a blank/undyed/no-color "Concept Blue" variant colorway of the 2024 Slick as well:

Long time lurker, first time poster. so, I can't post photos or links yet. Is there some way I can get photo posting permissions from the admins, so that I can put some accompanying photos in this thread?

What about new DLAB slicks?

MrFish
156 posts
11 Mar 2024 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NatHimmeshoff said..

Yes, one of these being used in my area. Basically all white

MrFish
156 posts
11 Mar 2024 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
I still don't see how the Duotone flag handle is any worse than others? we have big demo event here next month I'm gonna make a video looking at all brands front handles see how they compare

That's because you are a sponsored rider so have one eye closed

NatHimmeshoff
3 posts
11 Mar 2024 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..

Duotone Slick D/LAB 2024
variant C09:clay/royal-blue/white

mostly white or undyed canopy, yellow Aluula frame with purple strips at reinforced seams (which were light blue last year), and to my eyes a deep purple leading edge/luff panel. Not sure why it's referred to as "royal blue", because it is definitely more of a deep purple.

if I can get photo posting permissions, I'll put some accompanying photos up.
Admins?

Foxi
125 posts
11 Mar 2024 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NatHimmeshoff said..

Faff said..

Duotone Slick D/LAB 2024
variant C09:clay/royal-blue/white

mostly white or undyed canopy, yellow Aluula frame with purple strips at reinforced seams (which were light blue last year), and to my eyes a deep purple leading edge/luff panel. Not sure why it's referred to as "royal blue", because it is definitely more of a deep purple.

if I can get photo posting permissions, I'll put some accompanying photos up.
Admins?

my eyes say that the deep purple front panel being exactly the same colour as the one of the Unit dlab 2024. Only difference in the colour scheme of those 2 models is the change in canopee from yellow to white or clay or whatever they might call it. I wonder when DT will be starting to use other Aluula colours though. We have seen enough yellow now.

DWF
609 posts
11 Mar 2024 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

I had a person who was wanting to produce wind wings, tell me you have to order canopy material from Tejin ONE YEAR ahead of when you want it.

So if this is true, it might explain why we see canopy colors stay the same for long periods.

leepasty
371 posts
11 Mar 2024 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrFish said..

leepasty said..

That's because you are a sponsored rider so have one eye closed

I use other wings all the time while coaching and have never noticed a significantly better flag handle ?

JuriM
107 posts
11 Mar 2024 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

The question right now for me is if I get an SLS or pay 70% more to get the 2024 model. I've been on the 2021 Slick for 3 seasons now, so while it still works, it would be nice to get a fresh wing. What seems wild to me is that back in May 2021 when I bought the Slick, I paid only slightly more than what the SLS costs now on close-out and way less than the new model will cost. Prices have really gone up.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"DUOTONE Slick 2024 - any rumours yet?" started by riverripper