DUOTONE Slick 2024 - any rumours yet?

Created by riverripper 9 months ago, 29 Nov 2023
pumpnjump
WA, 259 posts
11 Mar 2024 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
I still don't see how the Duotone flag handle is any worse than others? we have big demo event here next month I'm gonna make a video looking at all brands front handles see how they compare

North and Smik for 2 with better flag handles, the Duotone is such an after thought, almost as poor as not including an inflate valve pump adapter. If brand ambassadors such as yourself actually raised some issues users have, possibly they would improve at a faster rate.

leepasty
371 posts
12 Mar 2024 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pumpnjump said..

leepasty said..
I still don't see how the Duotone flag handle is any worse than others? we have big demo event here next month I'm gonna make a video looking at all brands front handles see how they compare

North and Smik for 2 with better flag handles, the Duotone is such an after thought, almost as poor as not including an inflate valve pump adapter. If brand ambassadors such as yourself actually raised some issues users have, possibly they would improve at a faster rate.

2 wings I've not used. Hardly ever see Norths and don't think there's any Smiks in the uk. believe me I wish brands would listen, been saying things about kite kit and wetsuit boots for years but they don't change stuff just because I say

SpokeyDoke
130 posts
12 Mar 2024 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
2 wings I've not used. Hardly ever see Norths and don't think there's any Smiks in the uk. believe me I wish brands would listen, been saying things about kite kit and wetsuit boots for years but they don't change stuff just because I say

...it seems Duotone has been getting flogged pretty widely and consistently on the inflation valve for some time...that suggests to me a fair amount of arrogance, insensitivity, and/or stupidity...

leepasty
371 posts
12 Mar 2024 4:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SpokeyDoke said..

leepasty said..

...it seems Duotone has been getting flogged pretty widely and consistently on the inflation valve for some time...that suggests to me a fair amount of arrogance, insensitivity, and/or stupidity...

Been using the airport valve for over 10 years now on kites and apart from 1 year where 1st batch of some kites had a dodgy valve I've never had a problem. as long as you use Duotone hose/ adapter and don't get sand on end of hose the valve works great

SpokeyDoke
130 posts
12 Mar 2024 4:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
as long as you use Duotone hose/ adapter

After decades of dealing with this kind of BS in the mountain bike industry, I tend to just say no to proprietary parts unless they are really really that much better than other options

DWF
609 posts
12 Mar 2024 4:48AM
Thumbs Up

Duotone doesn't get enough credit for having a valve designed to read live air pressure during inflation. Most brands use valves that read fake pressure. Read during power stroke of pump. Pumping speed affects pressure reading. Stop pumping, check valve blocks live reading of pressure. All because of the back flow prevention built in. The Duotone reads live pressure all the time. It only closes off during the backward twist motion used to disconnect the hose.

leepasty
371 posts
12 Mar 2024 4:55AM
Thumbs Up

Amount of people I see dragging end of pump hose through sand then stick it straight in the kite or wing is crazy. then they moan about dodgy valves or the bladder leaking when they have been pumping sand inside. I've got a 3d printed hose holder on my pump which means end of hose never gets dirty. Very simple but very effective.
been trying get Duotone to make it on the pump for years but no joy yet

crakas
QLD, 448 posts
12 Mar 2024 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

I find the airport valve excellent, much better than say the North valves. So much less friction when pumping.
I also like the dump valves as it allow you to get more air out of the wing. It's easy to just roll from one side.

Stability on the front handle of the SLS when flagged is annoying and for me it takes a second hand placed on the wing to steady it. I've gone back to just grabbing the boom when riding swell.

Would like to see another SLS version, as the D/LAB version is too expensive.

patronus
372 posts
12 Mar 2024 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
Amount of people I see dragging end of pump hose through sand then stick it straight in the kite or wing is crazy. then they moan about dodgy valves or the bladder leaking when they have been pumping sand inside. I've got a 3d printed hose holder on my pump which means end of hose never gets dirty. Very simple but very effective.

Sounds handy, is the STL file available?

MeonAsh
47 posts
12 Mar 2024 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

I also have had no issues with the airport valve and find it a really nice to use valve. Been on the Unit wings for two years now and no regrets at all. I do wish duotone would include an adapter with the wing like other brands do, they can keep the wing leash though as that is the worst pile of garbage leash on the market, shockingly bad, uncomfortable and with no safety on stopping the velcro from coming undone accidentally if it gets pulled in a crash. That was exactly how a local sailor lost their 1 sesssion old slick only a couple of weeks back.

pumpnjump
WA, 259 posts
12 Mar 2024 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

A local guy here prints these up for us, very handy. The valve is the best in the business, but what idiot in their management thinks it acceptable to include an adapter to take the valve apart but not one to inflate your new toy!!!

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
12 Mar 2024 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

They are up on the website... Along last year's models (std and DLAB) and the SLS. So 4 models all up. They all look kinda similar since 2022, but the 3D models reveal their differences.

leepasty
371 posts
12 Mar 2024 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
patronus said..

leepasty said..

Files on this Facebook page www.facebook.com/share/p/j5UBW3Z7iZQiUSc9/?mibextid=K35XfP

BullroarerTook
222 posts
12 Mar 2024 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like they've changed the "corner" bending toward the wingtip. Should improve the deflection that has been complained about on here. So that's good, but other changes are more subtle?

I agree the adaptor should be in the bag. Saves 50cents but costs so much ill will.

JuriM
107 posts
12 Mar 2024 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
patronus said..

leepasty said..

I found that the adapter I made for Duotone is close enough in size to the other end of the inflation hose that I can store the hose as a loop, which makes it easier to carry it around and keeps the dirt out. The STL/3MF is on MyMinifactory (not free, but it's just $3).

MrFish
156 posts
13 Mar 2024 3:44AM
Thumbs Up

The "sup" style valves on the new NP Fly II wings are a joy to use. Air goes in and out very easily. Seems to make packing the wing up a lot easier.

DWF
609 posts
13 Mar 2024 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Stock still a month away for US.

?si=vBsIxd0M3LXodg2q

Dspace
VIC, 300 posts
14 Mar 2024 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

So I'm confused about the front pocket position for the boom and the forward center strut design. On actual wing photos it's way forward on the leading edge, but on the final product computer images it's at the forward edge of different looking center strut. Two completely different locations and center strut designs. What's up with that, or am I missing something?? And for anyone who knows the answer to that question, what's it supposed to be for the DLab Slick?

I just watched the official 2024 Slick promotional video and I see both versions in the video. One a prototype and one a final? So much for a clean polished intro...

Naranek
26 posts
14 Mar 2024 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Both front pocket positions can also be seen in the pictures posted on the previous page by Foxi.

steven24
3 posts
14 Mar 2024 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

For larger wing sizes the front pocket position for the boom is on the center strut.

CraigGDuotone
27 posts
14 Mar 2024 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Correct, from 4.5 down the boom gets mounted on the leading edge, 5.0 upwards on the centre strut.

UNWFC
1 posts
14 Mar 2024 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Seems like the difference starts between 4.5 and 5.0. I guess the reason is being able to use the same miniboom for all sizes, which is a good thing. I actually wanted to get a new 5.0, since my old SLS keeps flapping about retirement, but my layman's thinking tends to prefer the "way forward on the leading edge" position, so I might get the 4.5.

Do you think it's easier this way to ride one handed on the boom in swell or is the difference negligible? (The front handle doesn't seem to have undergone any stiffness improvements...)

And do you think the 5.0 SLS has the same low end like a 2024 4.5?
Cheers.

omg
281 posts
14 Mar 2024 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hey folks, what's the deal that DT rates the Slick worse in waves than Unit? Anyone ridden them back to back and could give an opinion?

Thanks!

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
14 Mar 2024 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

??, DLAB version again starts at 4.0

Dspace
VIC, 300 posts
14 Mar 2024 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
said..
For larger wing sizes the front pocket position for the boom is on the center strut.

Yep. Now I feel like a total moron since that how it's done on the SLS quiver I've owned for 2 seasons (and it never quite registered in my senile brain!)

DWF
609 posts
14 Mar 2024 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
omg said..
Hey folks, what's the deal that DT rates the Slick worse in waves than Unit? Anyone ridden them back to back and could give an opinion?

Thanks!

Both work in waves.

To me, the 24 Unit feels slower, and pulls sideways more. The Slicks feel more slippery, pulling forward, more speed, and handle overpowered better.

Differences are SLIGHT, so better to pick based on boom or handle preference. Many would not notice any difference, other than handle versus boom.

Don't get caught up in chart analysis

Naranek
26 posts
14 Mar 2024 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..

They say that the more expensive material isn't worth it in the smaller sizes.

ARichards
VIC, 97 posts
16 Mar 2024 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DWF said..

omg said..

Thanks!

Both work in waves.

To me, the 24 Unit feels slower, and pulls sideways more. The Slicks feel more slippery, pulling forward, more speed, and handle overpowered better.

Differences are SLIGHT, so better to pick based on boom or handle preference. Many would not notice any difference, other than handle versus boom.

Hi DWF

Do you use the aluula or the standard Dacron versions ?

Do you know the weight difference between the Unit 2024 and the new Slick 2024 ? Ive tried to find the weights online but they don't seem to be mentioined anywhere.

Aaron

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
16 Mar 2024 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ARichards said..

DWF said..

omg said..

Thanks!

Both work in waves.

Hi DWF

Do you use the aluula or the standard Dacron versions ?

Do you know the weight difference between the Unit 2024 and the new Slick 2024 ? Ive tried to find the weights online but they don't seem to be mentioined anywhere.

Aaron

2024 Unit weights are on the website.

Faff
VIC, 1188 posts
16 Mar 2024 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Naranek said..

Faff said..

They say that the more expensive material isn't worth it in the smaller sizes.

There's a DLAB Unit 3.5.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"DUOTONE Slick 2024 - any rumours yet?" started by riverripper