DUOTONE Slick 2024 - any rumours yet?

Created by riverripper 9 months ago, 29 Nov 2023
Fishdude
297 posts
25 Mar 2024 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FoilColorado said..
Hey does anyone have a Duotone adapter?!?

I like the PKS brand "Duotone valve adapter". Greenhat sells both you might want one of each brand to have one extra

leepasty
371 posts
31 Mar 2024 1:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Looks good
I would get one but can't see how you buy it ?

Foxi
125 posts
31 Mar 2024 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

Looks good

"Kleinanzeigen" previously was "e-bay Kleinanzeigen", which was the for free/ purely ad financed little brother of ebay. Now it?s privately owned. I sell most of my used stuff there. You have to register first in order to be able to contact a private seller.

leepasty
371 posts
31 Mar 2024 2:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foxi said..

leepasty said..

Looks good

"Kleinanzeigen" previously was "e-bay Kleinanzeigen", which was the for free/ purely ad financed little brother of ebay. Now it?s privately owned. I sell most of my used stuff there. You have to register first in order to be able to contact a private seller.

I can't work it out as all in German. If he puts one on eBay I will buy. cheers

BullroarerTook
222 posts
31 Mar 2024 3:29AM
Thumbs Up

I bought a 2024 Slick 4.5 non-Aluula. I don't have a lot of experience with different wings, my previous set being the OG Units, 5.0, 4.0 & 3.3. The 4.5 pulls more than the 4.0 Unit and less than the 5.0 (surprise!) from the low end. At speed it is much more stable and goes upwind much better too. But those Units are really baggy now. The wing is dead quiet which is nice.

At the beginning of the session I was still looking for the handles but by the end I realized I wasn't anymore. That was nice. I also realized after the session that I never thought about the weight - it's as light in the hands as the units. And that's pretty light. I like having the windsurf style harness lines too rather than the bungies. The boom connection is rock solid. Mine has a deflate valve on one of the wing tips too.

As far as I can tell, the front handle is the same as the late 23 Units that some of my friends have. Take that fwiw. Overall I'm very happy with the wing. The biggest downside is that I'd hoped it wouldn't want to roll over onto its back like the Units, but it does. Takes longer, but it definitely is more stable on its back. I wish it didn't need the tri-fold to get back in the bag. That's another con for me, but minor.

l'm probably going to get a 3.5 so I guess I like it well enough. (Or else I'm simply insane.)

Nikita
QLD, 212 posts
31 Mar 2024 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

That's cool! I'll have to get one printed up.

Dspace
VIC, 300 posts
31 Mar 2024 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BullroarerTook said..
The biggest downside is that I'd hoped it wouldn't want to roll over onto its back like the Units, but it does. Takes longer, but it definitely is more stable on its back. I wish it didn't need the tri-fold to get back in the bag. That's another con for me, but minor.

l'm probably going to get a 3.5 so I guess I like it well enough. (Or else I'm simply insane.)

Just remember, that desire to roll on its back means it's also going to roll a bit easier during any upwind tack transition, especially tack transitions where you don't really have other options to help roll the wing during the tack, like behind-the-back tacks or leash handle (walk-the-dog) tacks.

Hmmmm, I love the trifold method and bag size for my SLS Slicks. Quick and easy for me, but I'm also really used to it

Foxi
125 posts
31 Mar 2024 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

Foxi said..

leepasty said..

Looks good

I've informed the seller and you should find the item on ebay now. By the way he is also producing those mini booms connecting Unit handles.

www.ebay.de/itm/204719586958?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=LAk8S_nbSz2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=5oTvx02iSeW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

happysam
46 posts
4 Apr 2024 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys :)I did an on water first impressions of the Slick V4. Check it out if you want! :)

Nikita
QLD, 212 posts
4 Apr 2024 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foxi said..

leepasty said..

Foxi said..

leepasty said..

Looks good

I've informed the seller and you should find the item on ebay now. By the way he is also producing those mini booms connecting Unit handles.

www.ebay.de/itm/204719586958?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=LAk8S_nbSz2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=5oTvx02iSeW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

He wasn't offering international shipping, but I got in contact with the seller and I'm ordering a couple of these handles. Would anyone around Brisbane like one?

michaelpaf
92 posts
4 Apr 2024 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BullroarerTook said..
I bought a 2024 Slick 4.5 non-Aluula. I don't have a lot of experience with different wings, my previous set being the OG Units, 5.0, 4.0 & 3.3. The 4.5 pulls more than the 4.0 Unit and less than the 5.0 (surprise!) from the low end.

Hi Bullroarer,
thanks a very lot for your review. Very interessting. Do i unterstand your observation correct? In Low End the new Slick has "quite same" / "similar" / comparable power as a 4,5 UNIT? I assume this as it pulls more than a 4,0 and less than a 5,0 unit. So quite in the middle?

Thanks a lot for your response. Have currently a 2024 UNIT 5,5 and want to switch to Slick. Have ordered 5,5 and 6,0. One of them I'll sell in best case unused. So I'm struggeling if 5,5 would be best replacement or 6,0. 5,5 should be better to pump I assume. So perhaps there is not much low end power advanteage with a 6,0.

Thanks for your or other hints, experiences.

Foxi
125 posts
4 Apr 2024 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
happysam said..
Hey guys :)I did an on water first impressions of the Slick V4. Check it out if you want! :)

thanks for the nice review - which strange colour did your slick have ? Was it a proto ?

happysam
46 posts
5 Apr 2024 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foxi said..

happysam said..

thanks for the nice review - which strange colour did your slick have ? Was it a proto ?

:D thanks for watching! - No its the usual yellow but I had bad settings on my gopro so I put a filter on, hence the wing looks odd.

BullroarerTook
222 posts
5 Apr 2024 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
michaelpaf said..

BullroarerTook said..
I bought a 2024 Slick 4.5 non-Aluula. I don't have a lot of experience with different wings, my previous set being the OG Units, 5.0, 4.0 & 3.3. The 4.5 pulls more than the 4.0 Unit and less than the 5.0 (surprise!) from the low end.

Hi Bullroarer,
thanks a very lot for your review. Very interessting. Do i unterstand your observation correct? In Low End the new Slick has "quite same" / "similar" / comparable power as a 4,5 UNIT? I assume this as it pulls more than a 4,0 and less than a 5,0 unit. So quite in the middle?

Thanks a lot for your response. Have currently a 2024 UNIT 5,5 and want to switch to Slick. Have ordered 5,5 and 6,0. One of them I'll sell in best case unused. So I'm struggeling if 5,5 would be best replacement or 6,0. 5,5 should be better to pump I assume. So perhaps there is not much low end power advanteage with a 6,0.

Thanks for your or other hints, experiences.

Well not exactly. I am comparing the 24 Slick to the 21(?) Units. In that year there was no 4.5, only 3.3, 4.0, 5.0 & 6.0. I am saying that the current Slick fits in between the 4 & 5 of that year. Craig says the current Unit has more low end pull than a current Slick and you might as well believe him, but don't go thinking it's 0.5m2 different. That's all. In nearly every other way the Slick is a better wing.

michaelpaf
92 posts
8 Apr 2024 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks a very lot for your hints!!
That helped ne to choose the right first size.
So now I choose the 4,5 slick an have a comparsion to the 5,5 Unit.
I was more than surprised of the power of the 4,5 slick compared to the 5,5unit.
Sure the 5,5 unit has good more power.
But the 4,5 would have a big overlap of range to the 5,5 unit.
It was a day with round 12-18 knots and we have no constant Wind at our lake in Germany. Very gusty...and sure some gusts also over 18 knots ans also times with less then 12 knots.
Boom aber Design is Betty compct and Betty effectively to pump.
Have 85kg, and a ptm899 with 925 cm2 on a 95 Liter board.
In most phases it was a never touch down Session. And when touched down with some more or less pumpings again on air.
Handling was great. Everything easy to controll. Upwind I had bit problems. Dont know why but hard upwind was bit difficut perhaps to less wind.
However. I guess compared to the unit 5,5 I needed round 4 knots more.
So don't know what power a 4,5 unit has but so I decided now to take as big wing the slick in 5,5 insread of 6,0. When tested I'll come back.
The whole concept of the slick is much more my favorit compared to the unit. Falled in live with that wing.

Ursus
27 posts
9 Apr 2024 2:18AM
Thumbs Up

SLICK 5 Dlab. Muy review:

Slick5 from 12 to 20 knots. Flat sea, waves... all conditions

I notice it is more powerful sailed, it may be more upwind, but slight
In waves it stays well in neutral but when the wind falls or you go fast in the wave and there is no apparent the wing falls where the unit dlab still floats

Verdict:
- Better sailing
- worse at surfing

Dspace
VIC, 300 posts
4 May 2024 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

One more 2024 D-Lab Slick first session observations to add to the list. Some video of my 6m and 5m in pretty light conditions and my 4m in well powered conditions. Just old guy strapless riding in flat water, but hopefully I'll get them into some bump riding soon. These are my first Allula wings coming from 2 seasons on SLS Slicks. I've never ridden Units or the 2023/2024 Dacron/Mod3 Slicks, but I have been riding a quiver of the Duotone boom wings since the beginning in 2019.

?si=uHEjsFe6H4cibWzP

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"DUOTONE Slick 2024 - any rumours yet?" started by riverripper