Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
27 Sep 2014 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Careful with posting photos like that Don. You might get a sudden influx of boating people and cause a local real estate boom.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
27 Sep 2014 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

We ended up going for a sail for a couple of hours

No a lot of wind but enough to keep us moving at 2 to 4 knots for most of the time

All in all a really relaxing time

Regards Don

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
27 Sep 2014 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
Careful with posting photos like that Don. You might get a sudden influx of boating people and cause a local real estate boom.

Hi Cisco

I don't know why more people from the mainland don't move here

We are originally from Cairns, spent 10 years working our way around Australia in our van so we have seen pretty much all of Australia and finally settled in this pace and love it

The real estate is dirt cheap compared to mainland prices and it is a beautiful place to live

Regards Don

Seamonkey_H2024
VIC, 344 posts
27 Sep 2014 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Made it to beauty point on the tamar, Tasmania! Really awesome trip so far!

Got hit a couple of nights ago on my way to tamar by a massive weather system. 40+knt winds and massive seas, hove to for 6 hours in the dark, pinned against the coast continually beating into it between hoving to. Waves broke over and against boat. The clansman is a tough son of a bitch.

Maybe I'll cruise down the river to lonny tomorrow, not much going down at beauty point.

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
27 Sep 2014 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

W

Select to expand quote
SirJman said..

Got hit a couple of nights ago on my way to tamar by a massive weather system. 40+knt winds and massive seas, hove to for 6 hours in the dark, pinned against the coast continually beating into it between hoving to. Waves broke over and against boat. The clansman is a tough son of a bitch.

Maybe I'll cruise down the river to lonny tomorrow, not much going down at beauty point.

Well done and welcome to Tassie

Looking at the forcast it looks like there is a bit of breeze happening for the next couple of days

If you end up down this way let me know

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Sep 2014 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SirJman said..

There used to be some party animals in George Town Sir J Man
Those Clansman were built for Bass Straight bloody good old boat Sir J man

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Sep 2014 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Turned the boat so I could work on the starboard side ( didn't want to fall in )
Glassed in my starboard side today and filled the port side ready for some sanding tomorrow. Ill also fill in the starboard side with epoxy and Q cel filler tomorrow
I sort of feel I'm over the hump tonight

Ill grind it back tomorrow after a scrub of water to wash off any residual . Then fill with epoxy and Q cell the port side will be ready to sand the filler tomorrow .
I have Monday off as well so should have the cut outs completed on the out side except for a final fill and sand . I have been thinking of paying one of the painters at work to do the final fill and sand . He would be far better than I would be at it.

I have been thinking of laying full length mat right along the cabin sides after Ive ground the high spots off I have a few low spots I want to glass in yet before I do that.
Once I fill and sand the exterior the weather wont worry me so much < happy as

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
27 Sep 2014 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Well done HG

She is progressing nicely

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Sep 2014 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Well done HG

Regards Don

Love the photos Donk Keep them coming.
I could easily run away with Lucy shes a sweet boat and a cute stern

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
27 Sep 2014 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Donk107 said..
Well done HG

Regards Don

Love the photos Donk Keep them coming.
I could easily run away with Lucy shes a sweet boat and a cute stern

She certainly is pretty

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Sep 2014 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Makes me wish I was a ship wright donk when I see a boat like that. Timber yachts keep well in Tassy not so much pollution and harsh sun

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
27 Sep 2014 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
Makes me wish I was a ship wright donk when I see a boat like that. Timber yachts keep well in Tassy not so much pollution and harsh sun

Hi HG

It wouldn't look like that if it was mine

I struggle to maintain my grp one

Lucy is brand new at the moment but I think her owner builder will look after her well

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
27 Sep 2014 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..

HG02 said..

Hi HG

It wouldn't look like that if it was mine

I struggle to maintain my grp one

Lucy is brand new at the moment but I think her owner builder will look after her well

Regards Don

If she ever strays let me know Donk

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 Sep 2014 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..
How did you go with the mast step? I had no choice but to do a lot of work to mine and it is foam cored too.

Brizzy
I have a 300 mm square s/s plate with 10 mm holes The Ill modify still still thinking of choices with it yet but the external parameters are fine

The mast step might not be placed on top I'm thinking of fitting as a block base for halyards to the cockpit and the end result might be a U shape with the mast sitting inside of this s/s plate. I will be taking the boat down to sea ship wright before I do any thing . But wanted to make a base plate for halyard blocks so it will sit like this for a while yet

it may end up with the same principle some thing like this one. Ill wait till I get a ship wright to check it out

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
28 Sep 2014 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Ready to sand tomorrow .The Starboard is sanded down needs a little more filler in a couple of low spots.
Also ground down the internal cabin sides as Ill add a bit more mat in there tomorrow then its done till next weekend.

South Ace how long before I need to brush on some undercoat to protect the epoxy filler?

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
29 Sep 2014 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Got to love Tassie

Struggled for a breeze on Saturday and blowing 30 knots plus yesterday and today

Regards Don

southace
SA, 4761 posts
29 Sep 2014 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said...
Ready to sand tomorrow .The Starboard is sanded down needs a little more filler in a couple of low spots.
Also ground down the internal cabin sides as Ill add a bit more mat in there tomorrow then its done till next weekend.

South Ace how long before I need to brush on some undercoat to protect the epoxy filler?

"Drift wood" the Online built boat!

southace
SA, 4761 posts
29 Sep 2014 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Donk I sailed all through those waters in December 2009 I also completed a trip down to the bottom into Port Davey have you been down there ? Maybe I should post some tassie pics!

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
29 Sep 2014 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Southace

I have not been there yet

The only sailing I have done down here is on the Derwent, the Channel and the Huon

I would love to see some pics of other areas down here

Regards Don

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Sep 2014 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

HG02 said...

"Drift wood" the Online built boat!

Yer

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Sep 2014 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Sanded down the star board side more to do yet.

Then started inside on the head and stove bulk head

The head compartment walls will, be cedar externally and white inside . Theres enough room for a sliding door running back towards the engine on the inside of the head compartment. I still have to work out the floor level in the head

Ive left enough room to move the doors across to the center of the opening.
Ill finish it off at the weekend and glass it in its held in with a few screws holding it off the hull
Im happy and many thanks for the input for my on line boat south ace and every one

My two small port light just arrived form Sydney.
Ill redice the width on the outer rings on all 6 port lights

Meant to add all these have fly wires . Which I like Ive been sailing a couple of times and slept on the boat and one of the girls on board got bitten over night ended up with a fat lip.

nswsailor
NSW, 1429 posts
29 Sep 2014 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Now HGO2,

Whose lip?

Meant to add all these have fly wires . Which I like Ive been sailing a couple of times and slept on the boat and one of the girls on board got bitten over night ended up with a fat lip.

By the way, is the fly screen up to Queensland standard or that common down your way. If it an' Qld stuff the No-No's will get you!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Sep 2014 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nswsailor said..
Now HGO2,

Whose lip?

By the way, is the fly screen up to Queensland standard or that common down your way. If it an' Qld stuff the No-No's will get you!

Not sure NSW there made in UK ha Ha but the bite happened in north Queensland for a while I thought we might have to sail back to civilization asap fortunately she came good still had the fat lip but she stop complaining My sons girl friend

Hinton Bay
TAS, 7 posts
30 Sep 2014 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Slept on the mooring last night intending to go for a sail today but there is not much breeze at the moment

Here is 360 degrees of Port Huon while we wait to see if the breeze will happen

Regards Don

Select to expand quote
SirJman said..

Hi There SirJman,

There is an opening day for the PDYC and TYC yacht clubs Sunday at Beauty Point, there will be a few yachts anchored up in Dark Hollow from Friday for the weekend if you are still about.

I hope be there Saturday but if you are going to be about let me know and I can help guide you up to Soldiers point if you haven't already been there.

Went for a jaunt out the heads last days off and as usual was a bit lumpy but managed to get a good pick of the lighthouse on the way back in.

cisco
QLD, 12321 posts
30 Sep 2014 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Went for a jaunt out the heads last days off and as usual was a bit lumpy but managed to get a good pick of the lighthouse on the way back in.

That looks like it would have been a lively sail.

Hinton Bay
TAS, 7 posts
30 Sep 2014 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Wasn't too bad had 20 knots but sea's flattened out when offshore couple of miles, always kicks up around the mouth of the Tamar River.

brizzydave
406 posts
30 Sep 2014 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Set a record today. In one biblical hour I dashed home, picked up generator and all my boat painting crap, drove to boat and set up gear on Jetty, sanded a square meter of scratched boot top prepped with jotun high build with orbital while standing thigh deep in muddy toadfishy water. Rolled n tipped with snow white toplac. Toplac....paint for dummies. Goes on like a spray job for us no talents. Wish it dried hard as two pack but. No paint on hands or mess anywhere. Packed up , got home without missus blowing up and made it to the pub for dinner with dust in hair. One hour...yey!!! Second coat tomorrow .

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
1 Oct 2014 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Wow, Dave. I have a boat you can work on some time.

Today I went up the new mast steps for the first time and tied cord between them to stop the halyards hanging up. Breeze kicked up just after we started so it was sometimes a tad lively for the first time. But glad to have gone up and I'm glad to be able to inspect everything and to be able to enjoy the view.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
1 Oct 2014 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
brizzydave said..
Set a record today. In one biblical hour I dashed home, picked up generator and all my boat painting crap, drove to boat and set up gear on Jetty, sanded a square meter of scratched boot top prepped with jotun high build with orbital while standing thigh deep in muddy toadfishy water. Rolled n tipped with snow white toplac. Toplac....paint for dummies. Goes on like a spray job for us no talents. Wish it dried hard as two pack but. No paint on hands or mess anywhere. Packed up , got home without missus blowing up and made it to the pub for dinner with dust in hair. One hour...yey!!! Second coat tomorrow .

ha ha your a legend

brizzydave
406 posts
1 Oct 2014 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Not so much legend...more dodgy :-) lol.

Gawd that photo from up the mast looks scary.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin