Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Mar 2015 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

japie said..
My Taylors has a stuffed burner. A ham fisted friend of mine, she turned the knob too far and shattered the needle gear.

I clicked on that link to Hanse and my heart did a whoopee do at the price until I realised it was in Euros. Taylor's are asking an arm and a leg as well.

When I was in Suva earlier in the week I priced a Primus burner. They have no control and because mine is a two burner I would have to put an in line valve in to control it. The Primus burner is $19 Fijian.

Decisions!

There is some cheaper Indian made one and sold on ebay An american guy gets them made as the original taylor Ill find a link found it last night around $90 USA dollars I put it on my ebay watch list . Il find it now
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111603612924?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT <jets

www.ebay.com.au/itm/281634881366?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT < burner

www.ebay.com.au/itm/111615125996?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT < non adjustable burner

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Mar 2015 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Pm me Japie and give me your postal address Ill send you a second hand needle gear

If you do it tonight Ill post it tomorrow

japie
NSW, 6926 posts
20 Mar 2015 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

You are an absolute star. It's not true what that LC chappie says about you!

I'd feel very happy buying that Patria and in actual fact probably will. One of the things I noticed about my Taylor's is that corrosion has pretty much ruined the burners and for the price of the replacement I reckon it would be just a waste of money to buy the genuine parts.

Not like it's a carburector for a Ferrari!

japie
NSW, 6926 posts
20 Mar 2015 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers doing it now!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Mar 2015 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
japie said..
You are an absolute star. It's not true what that LC chappie says about you!

I'd feel very happy buying that Patria and in actual fact probably will. One of the things I noticed about my Taylor's is that corrosion has pretty much ruined the burners and for the price of the replacement I reckon it would be just a waste of money to buy the genuine parts.

Not like it's a carburector for a Ferrari!

Dont worry about LC its water off a duck back . like to fish see if I can get a bite out of him now and then see how many reds hes had on the night
Hes a pussy bit of an old Tom

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Mar 2015 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

HG02 said..

japie said..
My Taylors has a stuffed burner. A ham fisted friend of mine, she turned the knob too far and shattered the needle gear.

I clicked on that link to Hanse and my heart did a whoopee do at the price until I realised it was in Euros. Taylor's are asking an arm and a leg as well.

When I was in Suva earlier in the week I priced a Primus burner. They have no control and because mine is a two burner I would have to put an in line valve in to control it. The Primus burner is $19 Fijian.

Decisions!

There is some cheaper Indian made one and sold on ebay An american guy gets them made as the original taylor Ill find a link found it last night around $90 USA dollars I put it on my ebay watch list . Il find it now
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111603612924?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT <jets

www.ebay.com.au/itm/281634881366?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT < burner

www.ebay.com.au/itm/111615125996?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT < non adjustable burner

www.ebay.com/itm/Patria-207-Regulating-Kerosene-Burner-Marine-stove-Optimus-Forces-10-heater-/281634881366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4192bf3f56

This one here in the link above Ive heard good reports about

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Mar 2015 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Japie its posted

I put it in this container with some tissue either end should be there next week
Ill Pm you the tracking number
You own me a beer one day

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Mar 2015 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Over the last year Ive removed some of the interior from memory the gimbals frame would be appropriately 15 KG with the counter weight the Taylor stove weight in at 22 KG .
The old Ice box I'm not sure but it was fairly heavy when you add the bottom and top of the ice it would have been at least 30 KG and
was not refrigerated The two Engles weight in at 20 KG each 40 ltr capacity each . Ive added the cedar trim could not tell you how much it weighs
But I carried it into the back yard on my own Ive removed the old carpet off the cabin roof and for me I have no regrets .
Ive fitted opening port which I don't regret one iota
Ive moved the head from the forward cabin to the port side stern next to the companion way and also removed the port side bunk so I have very easy access to the engine compartment and can easily reach any part of it ( being a old fart this makes it enjoyable not a pain) and will use the head also for my wet weather gear.
Where the head was in the forward cabin will be food storage taking up every inch of space

Ive also removed the anchor well which was well made and heavy 40 plus KG and will run my anchor chain into the the bow.
The Walker H28 can carry 800 KG extra other than the boat it self . add fuel and water and food I should still be below that weight .
That's the way Ive looked at it and have enjoyed the last 12 month making the boat my own. 99 % of my sailing will be as a solo sailer and a home on anchor
Trade offs and compromises happen to all boats
To me the H28 was mainly designed for weekend sailing and coastal work I'm trying to extend it into a little bit more .
Sails Im running a main mizzen and a furling Genoa and a one or two storm sails.
I'm happy and I don't mind at all putting up photos in Sea breeze. Remember this old boat was built back in the mid seventies and she needs some TLC as far as I'm concerned.
I don't want or need a longer or big yacht the H28 is ll I want and need .
Well I'm off my fruit box enjoy the night

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Mar 2015 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

sold my two sinks on e bay and my other one arrived today which is longer and not quiet as wide . I like a deep sink so my dirty dishes wont fall out
So I can start sorting out my bench tops now and over Easter

The old and the new I am thinking about wrapping the new sink in insulation might be good for a cockpit beer party beer and ice serves two purposes it will have a lid as well
Im going to use Corian bench tops in a white photo of an off cut

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Mar 2015 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

dropped into the boat just to see how and if the sink fitted and it will

so the cabinet and the motor will be my focus over the next few weeks Ive a new water pump and thermostat coming from T Norris Uk its landed on Monday but seem very slow to get from Melbourne Airport to my place also a new Vetus water lock muffler coming which will be here before Easter.
So if I can get the cabinet done except for the bench top completed and finish off my motor by the end of Easter Ill be happy

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Apr 2015 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Hoping to slide on a couple of hose barbs and silver solder then to the end next week making it 1/2 hose right through my cooling system end result one spare hose fits all

Hopefully I wont have to revisit these cables once there fitted up in my life time. Better not have to
Not an easy job to fit but Ill try and finish today

Ill fit this stern of the Mizzen bulk head out of the engine bay

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 Apr 2015 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately for me the company I ordered the wet exhaust hose to fit between the engine and muffler stuffed up they had it at there MC Kay QLD outlet and the worker there sent it to McKay so it left the premises and when it got to the air port it was sent back to the sender clown as hed address it to him self
I would not mind the drugs hes on
I still have to make a throttle retaining clip as there was not one there and it look at be a Bukh cable retaining clip not a teleflex morse

The gear shift feels excellent now so Ive had a win the original do not like tight bends

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
5 Apr 2015 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Not much time on the boat today had to cook lunch for a multitude .Cut out two spots for a couple of 6 Gang BEP switch panels for cabin lights thats about it, I have decided too splits the wiring spaghetti into two part cabin stuff and sailing stuff makes it easier to manage .Plus a quick wash down on the deck . But tomorrow Ill have a go early . My marina neighbors have gone home today so a little noise wont matter.

DrRog
NSW, 605 posts
6 Apr 2015 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

I can't get motivated to do much TO my boat these days but yesterday I did manage to do my first dive on the hull. Gave it a soft sponge for the light growth but also had dark circular growths - are these the start of barnacles? They were more difficult to remove requiring a pressured flick with a kitchen scourer. Perhaps I left it a bit too long (November - April; 5 months since A-F). Barnacles cover the bottom of the keel because the boat yard don't antifoul under there - wtf?

Anyway, good to bite the bullet, drag the dive gear out to the mooring and finally get under there. Haven't been diving much at all lately. Got to say I didn't really enjoy going under there on my own in the gloom, two bays away from where Paul de Gelder lost a few body parts to a bull shark. It got easier as I became more engrossed in the task. Noticed the anode is missing from the prop shaft so I'll have to replace that asap.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
6 Apr 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

EEEEKK!!! That doesn't sound like fun Dr Rog

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Apr 2015 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Removed some cedar stips so I could run the port side loom for the lights over to the switch panel on the starboard side. Ive left the strips off as I want o run a couple of wire pairs for the solar panels ready for when I buy them.
Took me a while toget the wires across under the cedar before I could pick it up on the other side.
6 lights and 6 switch panel

Datawiz
VIC, 605 posts
6 Apr 2015 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hi DrRog,
I'm intimidated by a very large stingray whose patrol path goes under my boat at the marina (he's been there long before the marina was built). He's not aggressive, but problem is there's only 2.5m depth, so not a lot of room for him to pass under me when I'm cleaning the hull.
I'd hate to accidentally slap him with my fin - he mightn't understand and lash out.
We met briefly once - that was enough, he's huge. So after that we have an understanding - I won't transgress his territory and he'll not bother me...
Regards,
Allan

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
6 Apr 2015 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

The fridge mechanic just repaired boat fridge. Now 24 hours later my son reports that the house batteries are completely flat. Surely that can't be normal.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
6 Apr 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Removed some cedar stips so I could run the port side loom for the lights over to the switch panel on the starboard side. Ive left the strips off as I want o run a couple of wire pairs for the solar panels ready for when I buy them.
Took me a while toget the wires across under the cedar before I could pick it up on the other side.
6 lights and 6 switch panel

Loving the look of all that timber HG... I'd like to do the same to mine.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Apr 2015 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McNaughtical said..
The fridge mechanic just repaired boat fridge. Now 24 hours later my son reports that the house batteries are completely flat. Surely that can't be normal.

Either he has set the fridge on the highest setting. Or a fuse maybe blown some where on the solar circuit or the solar had been switch off while he was working on it .
Some thing like that Id say

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
6 Apr 2015 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

ok... thanks HG... I'll try calling him first to see if any of those things he has done.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
6 Apr 2015 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Fridges are battery killers.....they can discharge a house bank in 24 hours!

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
7 Apr 2015 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

The problem is, I am now having trouble recharging the house bank. Fridge is turned off. Had my son run the engine for 2 hours today and they didn't charge at all. I have solar panels that usually keep them charged. .. and yes there is water in the batteries.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
7 Apr 2015 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

So what do you do for a fridge if they kill the batteries?

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
7 Apr 2015 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

have you got enough solar panels for the frig mcnaught ? 80 watt plus ?? for frig only needed ??

maybe son played stereo, tv and computer at the same time ???

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Apr 2015 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

fitted up my pump hosing all 1/2 inch now spares are just one size for the engine cooling

cleaned out my anode hole it now takes a full size anode Ill have to adjust my throttle stops tomorrow I had to remove the brackets so I could get the right angle to clean the anode hole .
Becareful if you remove the throttle bracket the fuel shaft wants to come out with the bracket

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
11 Apr 2015 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
McNaughtical said..

southace said..

So what do you do for a fridge if they kill the batteries?

How many solar panels and what size are they McNautical?

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
13 Apr 2015 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..
have you got enough solar panels for the frig mcnaught ? 80 watt plus ?? for frig only needed ??
maybe son played stereo, tv and computer at the same time ???

I don't know Sands. It used to work ok. I'll take a photo of my panels when I get up there. Batteries still have not recharged. Son is learning to go to bed when the sun goes down...lol... I've been sick all week so have not been able to get up for a look. Thinking must be a fuse blown or something.

McNaughtical
NSW, 908 posts
13 Apr 2015 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

HG, I have no idea what watts the panels are but I'll put a pic up soon. I have lost the props of my wind generator which wouldn't have helped. (Someone on the marina decided they didn't like the noise of my wind gen and tied it back with rope.. hence losing all but one of the prop blades...)

Ramona
NSW, 7584 posts
13 Apr 2015 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Saturday afternoon I had a dive on my mooring to replace the bottom shackle. The mooring contractor uses SS wire to mouse the shackles and this reduces the life of the shackle pin threads significantly. I replaced the top shackle 12 months ago and moused it with an electrical tie and it's still immaculate. The pitting you can see on the swivel is from the old SS shackle mousing. The thread had long gone on the bottom shackle and really the SS mousing holding the pin in place was ultimately all that is holding the boat! Of course the chain going down through the tram wheel centre back on to itself is really what is holding the boat. The chain is 4 years old and is in excellent condition.
I made the video mainly to show my neighboring yacht owner the shackles condition and compare notes.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin