Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
ChopesBro
350 posts
4 Dec 2015 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Have u got a link for that silent system?
Im going solar and wind in the fit out ....surely one out of two will always be working

Ramona
NSW, 7473 posts
5 Dec 2015 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
I'd be really interested to find out how that silent wind goes Ramona

It's got nothing to do with me!

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
5 Dec 2015 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Missus reckons my wind is anything but silent

southace
SA, 4761 posts
5 Dec 2015 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Silent wind under motor @ 5knots , money well worth spending!

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
5 Dec 2015 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

does it annoy you while your stationary , sitting quietly having a cup of tea ?

southace
SA, 4761 posts
5 Dec 2015 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Nope I had 14 amps of solar coming in today so silent wind spent some time Off. I manly will use it at nights and when sailing if need be.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
6 Dec 2015 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

andy59 said...
I'd be really interested to find out how that silent wind goes Ramona

You mean southace ? I am at anchor and reciving 3 amp at times in 5 knots at
Sundown.
during the day I'm getting close to 16 amp including solar in the marina at 10 knots . Will post a video tomorrow!

Ha ha sorry Southace and Ramona
3amps at 5 knots sounds good

southace
SA, 4761 posts
6 Dec 2015 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

At some point yesterday I had 17 to 19 amps of charge going through the hybrid controller I had to brake the windgen as I need to adjust the charging parameters on the hybrid....was a little scared I may cook my battery's.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
6 Dec 2015 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said...
At some point yesterday I had 17 to 19 amps of charge going through the hybrid controller I had to brake the windgen as I need to adjust the charging parameters on the hybrid....was a little scared I may cook my battery's.

Is that the controller that comes with the silent wind? I'm just wondering because I'm thinking of getting one and the guy told me it comes with everything you need and you can run your solar panels through it as well

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
6 Dec 2015 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Finally used my new Genoa track and cars in a nice 20knot southerly race to Currumbin and back yesterday

southace
SA, 4761 posts
6 Dec 2015 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it can take 40 amp of solar and also feed 20 amp discharge to accessories such as a fridge or freezer.

SydneyJohn
NSW, 34 posts
6 Dec 2015 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Well, guess what I did on my boat today..... Nothing, just had a great sail.... which makes all the effort maintaining the boat worth while!!

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
6 Dec 2015 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Finally used my new Genoa track and cars in a nice 20knot southerly race to Currumbin and back yesterday

This shot shows the port side. The deck was sound but I used a piece of timber to speed the load just in case.

[/

This shows the starboard side where the core material (end grain balsa) had completely rotted I repaired it from underneath.
I haven't cut the bolts off yet because those eye nuts might be handy.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
6 Dec 2015 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Dam now you need to cut them nice bolts and dome nut them!
Or perhaps just keep sailing !
i wish my bolts where that long sometimes!
and I try to use nylocks below decks.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
6 Dec 2015 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Dam now you need to cut them nice bolts and dome nut them!
Or perhaps just keep sailing !
i wish my bolts where that long sometimes!
and I try to use nylocks below decks.

ha ha i was editing while you were writing southace, trying to get the pics rotated. Yep thats why I haven,t cut the bolts yet they may be useful.

cisco
QLD, 12320 posts
6 Dec 2015 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Andy, I hope you used a good sealant under the genoa track. Some S&S 34s I have known have leaked under the genoa track which can make the berths below quite uninhabitable. Sorry John. Had to say it.

The bolts you have used are quite long and at some stage you will want to cut the non useful lengths off. I suggest you do it quite soon before you or someone else gouges their flesh on them.

I note that you have used "mud" washers which is way to go but that you also have used "nyloc" nuts. Nyloc and dome nuts are 3 to 4 times the price of spring washers and standard nuts.

I also note that you have not applied any grease to the threads to prevent thread spawling. If you ever have to undo any of those nuts there is a fair chance that will happen. That will be a pain.

Further, when you cut off the excess thread with a 100 mm grinder cut off wheel (you are not going to do it with a hacksaw are you??), the heat from the cutting will melt the nylon in the nuts thereby rendering it ineffective for locking the nuts.

Nyloc nuts have their place on yachts but in that application I believe are misplaced. Do you believe there will be that much vibration on you genoa track that would cause a nut to vibrate loose?????

From your last photo I note the yacht builder has not used nyloc nuts on the hull and deck join and I suggest that was not a choice of economy. I also note that the builder did not use "mud" washers or spring washers. That may have been an economic measure they took that you could correct, bolt by bolt.

Do not try to do them all at once as one S&S 34 owner did resulting in the hull and deck joint springing away from each other.

In this application I would be using spring washers with two standard nuts locked tight with of course grease on the threads and then cutting off the excess thread flush with the locking nut. If one then wanted to be fancy, the locking nut could be taken off and a dome nut applied.

If you agree with my logic I am sorry to be telling you after the fact.

Maybe the next Seabreezer doing the same job will benefit.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
7 Dec 2015 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Damn should have asked first Cisco. Any way the nylocs I have used elsewhere seem to still work after cutting the end of the bolt with with an angle grinder. I am just going to believe that the nylon melts a little then solidifies around the thread because creating an even better bond. I'm not taking them off and doing it again

cisco
QLD, 12320 posts
7 Dec 2015 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Yes I think that is what happens with the nyloc nuts. If you get those very thin (1mm) cut off wheels for stainless, they cut like a laser and don't generate too much heat.

A very neat job you have done anyway.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Dec 2015 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said...
Damn should have asked first Cisco. Any way the nylocs I have used elsewhere seem to still work after cutting the end of the bolt with with an angle grinder. I am just going to believe that the nylon melts a little then solidifies around the thread because creating an even better bond. I'm not taking them off and doing it again

You could add a liittle loc tite on the theads
That way it holds the nut plus stops gailing plus
The nut will always able to be undoneas it also acts as a rust inhibitor maybe not so much for stainless [;)
Helicopters use loctite or used to on rotor controllers not sure if they still do youd have to ask Meg that question

ChopesBro
350 posts
7 Dec 2015 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said...

This shot shows the port side. The deck was sound but I used a piece of timber to speed the load just in case.

[/

This shows the starboard side where the core material (end grain balsa) had completely rotted I repaired it from underneath.
I haven't cut the bolts off yet because those eye nuts might be handy.

I saw u...or at least some of you via coast cam. Was checking the surf at Burleigh

Looked pretty heavy be out sailing....must been 4ft plus on the point.

Respect

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
8 Dec 2015 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

One great thing about the S and S 34 is it doesn't mind slicing through a bit of swell going to windward so it was actually quite comfortable out there. Some of the more modern designs copped a pounding though.

cisco
QLD, 12320 posts
8 Dec 2015 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

The Peterson 42 (IOR 2 tonner) I had was the same. Really powered to windward. Many of the old IOR yachts are still very relevant. I think many of the newer yachts are designed for downwind sliding.

Jolene
WA, 1564 posts
8 Dec 2015 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
One great thing about the S and S 34 is it doesn't mind slicing through a bit of swell going to windward so it was actually quite comfortable out there. Some of the more modern designs copped a pounding though.

I would like to see a 34 with a more modern rig though,,,Fractional with a bigger main, longer boom and smaller heady, Do away with those large overlapping headsails that stress the hell out of every thing as you grind them in.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
8 Dec 2015 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Yep there's a ton of stress and pressure when you crank that 150% Genoa on Jolene
i want to get a nice flat 90 % with a higher clew for going to winward in above 16 knots
if you wanted to cruise around with a 90% in all winds you probably wouldn't lose that much

MorningBird
NSW, 2654 posts
8 Dec 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

My furling genoa is about 130%. She is fine and I have a staysail if I want more sail area up forard.

southace
SA, 4761 posts
8 Dec 2015 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Collected most of the day about 20 amp hours from Wind and Sun and the battery's are currently at 99% with 199 hours before a recharge!
changed the inch salt water seacock inlet as like the outlet the cock had Broken in the open position (I'm now a master of changing seacocks while afloat)!
thinking now of a cruising Shute and one more solar panel in Ho2 position on the cabin top and then casting the lines to go north / south flip a coin!
i also got the Christmas tree up !

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Dec 2015 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
Collected most of the day about 20 amp hours from Wind and Sun and the battery's are currently at 99% with 199 hours before a recharge!
changed the inch salt water seacock inlet as like the outlet the cock had Broken in the open position (I'm now a master of changing seacocks while afloat)!
thinking now of a cruising Shute and one more solar panel in Ho2 position on the cabin top and then casting the lines to go north / south flip a coin!

Call in if you going pass for a shower and a roast

southace
SA, 4761 posts
8 Dec 2015 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

By the way Andy the nylocs and head sail bolts look like a firm job and will last you lifetime.

My last yacht I re-bolted every single nut and bolt with nylocs and never thought twice after. With my headsail car track after I nylocks them I cut them with the grinder just below the nylocks and fitted dome nuts. The fore and aft you could put those great hook loops and then hang baskets or neting for fresh fruit and veg....etc

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
8 Dec 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

hey SA , what Batteries are you using ? sealed / unsealed glass matt , gel traditional lead acid ? did you buy them or are they existing ?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Dec 2015 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

I think they looked like deep cycle Cat batteries 100 ampers Sands

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin