Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
southace
SA, 4776 posts
8 Dec 2015 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

I got 6 x 120 amp AGM in the bow and 2 x 100 amp Cat batteries in stern. And she's still too light in the bow its gradual climb up to bed I think I need 60kg of bulk kitty litter in the empty lockers!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
8 Dec 2015 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Shaggybaxter said..
Just got the latest update from Structures, Fusion has successfully been loaded and starts her final journey. only 51 sleeps to go!

[URL= .html]
[URL= .html]

www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/oldshipid:184544/oldmmsi:232872000/olddate:lastknown
I know what Shaggy is getting before Christmas

southace
SA, 4776 posts
8 Dec 2015 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

He might be lucky l had to wait till after christmas last year torture!

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
19 Dec 2015 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Finished rewiring the motor. Still need to install new engine mounts. You'll notice I still haven't painted the starter motor Cisco

And repositioned the key panel in preparation of removing the pedestal.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
20 Dec 2015 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,
Ship arrives on the 27th, we have been told by Quarantine we should receive in our hands on the 29th.
Then I got a phone call from the freight forwarders, there is an embargo in place till the 6th January on all extra wide road freight.

AAAAARRRGGHH!
I've got Pogo flying in to help me with the re-assembly and the mast, cranes, hardstand , everything is organised for the 29th.

So we're trying to negotiate to get the boat dropped into the River at the Port of Brisbane, put diesel in it and we'll motor it around to Manly. The mast will have to travel by road, it is too big too strap to the boat, but that's ok, it may be long but it is not wide so it can go by road.
Fingers crossed, I'm determined to get it out, I am not having Pogo come out for nothing.
I keep telling myself if it was easy, it wouldn't be as satisfying.
Onwards and upwards!
SB

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Dec 2015 7:42AM
Thumbs Up

A loooong Christmas and New Years for you Shaggy.....I went through the same wait last year due to the stupid Banks!
thank god this Christmas I'm going Cruising for two weeks starting tomorrow!

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
20 Dec 2015 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
Finished rewiring the motor. Still need to install new engine mounts. You'll notice I still haven't painted the starter motor Cisco

She is looking sweet Andy. When you do paint the starter make sure you do not paint over the identifier tags.

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
20 Dec 2015 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Strewth Shaggy. You have a logistical nightmare on your hands. You might get charged a bit of dunnage too.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
20 Dec 2015 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

HI Cisco,
Yes, I am at the moment trying to work out how to get the cradle out of the Port if we do put her in the water there.
The cradle is big enough to be a bit of a logistical problem, I think it will mean getting another truck.
I am still working on how to store the cradle, at this stage Ill gas axe the longitudinal struts off it, then try and work out a way I can store it.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
20 Dec 2015 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
Hi guys,
Ship arrives on the 27th, we have been told by Quarantine we should receive in our hands on the 29th.
Then I got a phone call from the freight forwarders, there is an embargo in place till the 6th January on all extra wide road freight.

AAAAARRRGGHH!
I've got Pogo flying in to help me with the re-assembly and the mast, cranes, hardstand , everything is organised for the 29th.

So we're trying to negotiate to get the boat dropped into the River at the Port of Brisbane, put diesel in it and we'll motor it around to Manly. The mast will have to travel by road, it is too big too strap to the boat, but that's ok, it may be long but it is not wide so it can go by road.
Fingers crossed, I'm determined to get it out, I am not having Pogo come out for nothing.
I keep telling myself if it was easy, it wouldn't be as satisfying.
Onwards and upwards!
SB

You're a legend, Shaggy Baxter!! Hope it happens!! By the way, do you have a name for her??

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
20 Dec 2015 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Seems such a simple request. Just drop it in the river but I bet its a minefield Shaggy, best of luck with it all.

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
20 Dec 2015 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..

You're a legend, Shaggy Baxter!! Hope it happens!! By the way, do you have a name for her??

At the moment her name is "Con" Fusion.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
20 Dec 2015 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

so far so so good Shaggy !!! well done . i,m sure the xmas spirit will kick-in and all the red tape will turn green for you !!!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
20 Dec 2015 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Selkie.
Her name is Fusion. I didn't mean it as a double entendre, but it appears it means different things to different people, I have had people ask me if I'm into nuclear phsyics or even food! (I didn't even know fusion related to food. )
[URL= .html]

Cheers Andy, I found out that they have done this before with some power boats, so I am slightly more confident we can pull this off, fingers crossed.
Cisco, you're right about that!
SandS, I like that thought!

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
20 Dec 2015 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Shaggybaxter said..
Thanks Selkie.
Her name is Fusion. I didn't mean it as a double entendre, but it appears it means different things to different people, I have had people ask me if I'm into nuclear phsyics or even food! (I didn't even know fusion related to food. )
[URL= .html]

Cheers Andy, I found out that they have done this before with some power boats, so I am slightly more confident we can pull this off, fingers crossed.
Cisco, you're right about that!
SandS, I like that thought!

Fusion? Nice one Shaggy :)
Oh yeah, I know about Fusion Cooking! A few years ago, I walked in on my daughters and their dad making nori rolls....with cheerios as a filling!!!! I was taken a little aback, visibly. My ex, total deadpan expression, pipes up and says, "it's Fusion Cooking, hun"

So, Shaggy, what does Fusion mean to you?

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
20 Dec 2015 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Well, it was actually yesterday. My daughters, ex, and I finally sailed the Folkboat - our maiden sail :)
Very little breeze - 5 - 8 knots - but enough to see that she sails beautifully, even though the rig has not been adjusted/tuned since the mast went up, I'm still figuring out the running rigging, and she has a dirty bottom. I'm delighted with her.

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
21 Dec 2015 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations!! Great news.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
21 Dec 2015 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

Great news Selkie. Its been a mission but finally your on the water.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
21 Dec 2015 6:07AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Selkie,
Congrats, that's great news! Good photos, don't you love the sub tropics?

I don't know if this is of any help, but I made a strop that can give your hull a bit of a clean without getting wet. I found you need 2 people to make it work really quickly and effectively, one standing on either side of the boat. It is made of.....wait for it.......artificial turf!
I had to buy some artificial turf for a dark patch in my backyard, from memory it was the the dearest range from Bunnings, ie: good rubber mat, grass is dense and anchored really well.
I was looking around for something to run under the boat to give her bottom a clean, when I happened to look at the spare roll left over, and a idea popped into my head.
We cut a strip say 7" wide, and 6' ft long, punched two holes in each end, and threaded a 2mtr rope through each end to pull with, so each person has the two ends of the rope in your hand. WE found two ropes helped us keep the grass flat and didn't get twisted.

We dropped it over the bow and with each person pulling up, then easing off and feeding it to the other person who pulls up, we gave the poor old girl a bottom rub. We worked our way back to the keel, then dropped in under the stern and did the same.
It worked brilliantly, we were amazed.
Took us about 20 mins, it is very easy but your arms get a bit sore after 20 mins, however it works, and cost nothing.
Made a huge difference to mine after 6 months of growth had built up.
The grass held together perfectly, and acted like soft sandpaper. Every 5 mins, there was no green grass visible, it was black with scum, so we just waved it around in the water for a minute and voilah! vivid green and all clean again.

You're only a couple of rows aways Selkie, if you don't mind a bit of activity I will leave my very expensive, state of the art, scientific patent pending bottom scraper in your cockpit, and you can give it a try! If it breaks, who cares, throw it in the bin, and I'lll cut another piece. I've got enough artificial turf to do the whole of the Seabreeze community I reckon!
Let me know if this helps mate,
SB

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
21 Dec 2015 6:36AM
Thumbs Up

That is a damn top idea!!

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
21 Dec 2015 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

If I was really good, I'm make a tea cosy out of it that could double as a cleaning mitt! Or I could use it as a putting green on the foredeck.
That would look kultured!

Ramona
NSW, 7583 posts
21 Dec 2015 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

With a Folkboat you can park in shallow water. Soft broom with a float on the head to help force it up under the hull and just scrub.

Use the daughters ex.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
21 Dec 2015 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
If I was really good, I'm make a tea cosy out of it that could double as a cleaning mitt! Or I could use it as a putting green on the foredeck.
That would look kultured!

Oh Shaggy, you are such a Renaissance Man haha .

Thank you so much for your kind offer, but I'm up at Newport. Aren't you down at Manly?

Also, thank you to everyone for their wishes. After much ado, it felt surreal to be out there yesterday. And so simple - motor out, put sails up, enjoy!

I just have to learn how to come in to the pontoon on my own as I will be alone mostly.

Ramona....the ex is my ex, not my daughter's. We are still good friends, but I think asking him to jump into a canal where bullies frequent is pushing it too far

Thanks again
Trace

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
21 Dec 2015 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Oops, sorry mate, I thought there was a boat a couple of weekends ago few fingers away with the Selkie written across the stern.
I need to lay off the beer methinks.

Yara
NSW, 1275 posts
21 Dec 2015 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
With a Folkboat you can park in shallow water. Soft broom with a float on the head to help force it up under the hull and just scrub.

Use the daughters ex.

Why the need to park in shallow water? Are you thinking of beaching the boat? I used to do it on the mooring, sitting in the dinghy, and with fore and aft ropes on the dinghy to take the reaction force as you push towards the boat.

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
21 Dec 2015 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Could have been, Shaggy. Beers? Ah, it's the festive season . Would have been wild if it was a Folkboat!! Match racing anyone?

I've actually named the Folky 'Aria' for a few reasons - it means song for one voice; my youngest (the helmswoman in the pic) is learning classical voice in the Young Conservatorium program; and same daughter is like Arya Stark from THAT show .

Ramona
NSW, 7583 posts
21 Dec 2015 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yara said..

Ramona said..

Use the daughters ex.

Why the need to park in shallow water? Are you thinking of beaching the boat? I used to do it on the mooring, sitting in the dinghy, and with fore and aft ropes on the dinghy to take the reaction force as you push towards the boat.

Folkboats don't draw much. Nudge into the beach at the bottom of the tide. Standing on the bottom is much easier than fooling around with a dinghy.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2537 posts
22 Dec 2015 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Today we managed to not only organise a slip in the Port, but a crane to do the mast lift, and the transport organised for the cradle.
Only 7 days to go till handover, then a frenetic couple of days, then we may even be able to sail her round to the club.
Looking forward to this next stage.

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
22 Dec 2015 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
Today we managed to not only organise a slip in the Port, but a crane to do the mast lift, and the transport organised for the cradle.
Only 7 days to go till handover, then a frenetic couple of days, then we may even be able to sail her round to the club.

How much bribery and corruption did that cost????

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
23 Dec 2015 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Shaggybaxter said..

How much bribery and corruption did that cost????

Well done Shaggy!!!! You must be so relieved

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin