Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
ChopesBro
351 posts
23 Jan 2016 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

[URL=http://imageshack.com/f/idm2kU62j] http://im

ChopesBro
351 posts
23 Jan 2016 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm....give me a couple of days

If u click the link u can see us

ChopesBro
351 posts
23 Jan 2016 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Anyways. .

Stripped the main hatch off ....took all the fiberglass off.

Was a really easy job and very interesting to see wood after its been glassed for 3o odd years

Rotten as...but still holding up

It will be discarded. ..got new marine ply and top quality pine. Rebuilt...and have varnish the interior side.

Thinking marine paint on the exterior ( we just want get arty )

I cut the new hatch nearly one and half times bigger.

Very weary of stuff u hit your head on in the cockpit so irs moved forward.

Kinda inspired by the old dude from the leaky deck mast thread and the innovative approach perth crew have too their yachts.

I can always cut it back to normal.

It doesn't hurt try a idea.

I...well...I want a flat surface every now and again.

A big one near the cockpit is a dream come true

( try and keep your mind out of the gutter )

Ramona
NSW, 7572 posts
24 Jan 2016 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

ChopesBro said..
[URL=http://imageshack.com/f/idm2kU62j] http://im

Try just clicking on the HTML section on that page and it will light up yellow, then just try pasting that into the message. I use Photobucket and highlight the IMG bit and paste that in.

The easiest is to just use the "Add an image to my message" bottom left and just select a photo in this Plain text Editor. This limits the access people have to your folio as well.

The photo you posted is of a bloke wandering along a beach and that is viewed after a separate download.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jan 2016 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Mixed up a brew of epoxy and poured it in on the rudder post so it would fill any voids
Then mixed a brew of epoxy and glue filler
And have poured that in afterwards
This will encapsulate the rudder post completely and seal it off from the rest of the rudder case

I may do a small pour around every edge of the rudder case and tag the H sections to the rudder sides internally so far in happy with it

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
25 Jan 2016 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Ill tag the H sections after the epoxy cover rudder shaft is finish setting today. With a bit of luck I might get foam pour in tomorrow and then start fairing the foam. I was hoping Sands might drop by for that job with his keen eye tomorrow

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jan 2016 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

filled the rudder case with foam need to tied up a little yet Happy so far

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
26 Jan 2016 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

top job HG

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
26 Jan 2016 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
top job HG

The foam was difficult it said to mix it for 20 seconds which I did but the creaming time was around 35 seconds and setting time was real quick
Id make smaller batched if I did it again wasted a lot of foam I'm glad its done

It had to be done at a temp between 25 to 30 degrees which gave me two hours in the middle of the day

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
26 Jan 2016 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shaggybaxter said..
After a few days of dicking around, I finally got my Sailect data uploaded. It turned out that I had been given a dbase of files, instead of individual files per sail.
This would have been fine except you need the Pro version of the Nav software to read the db file!
I finally swallowed my pride, admitted defeat and contacted Structures.
Overnight I got some new files, and one click later presto!
Somedays I hate software, especially the learning phase.
Edit: For reference: GSE is headsail, GV is mainsail, Ris is reef, haute is full, trinquette is staysail.

Can you really do 40 knots with your staysail reefed once? Or is that the recommended sails for the wind speed?

I know your boat is pretty amazing, but 40 knots is really moving. It has to be the recommended sail range surely?

ChopesBro
351 posts
29 Jan 2016 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

Just had the outboard serviced and was informed I could fit a steering wheel to it for under $500 euro.

Several at once thoughts. ..

How cool would that be ( I currently have a piece of pvc pipe hooked up to the motor...which...works. ..kinda)?
How cool would that look. ( I dont think im vain but sitting in a big chair steering with a big stainless steering wheel must look more classy than standing up fighting a piece of plastic pipe?)
WOULD it mean she's more a motor boat than sailor than?

Off course I cant really justify the $$$

But who can....I love my boat.

It would look so crazy cool

Hmmmm.....this project could be a relationship tester! !

How do I make it all her idea??

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
29 Jan 2016 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChopesBro said..
Just had the outboard serviced and was informed I could fit a steering wheel to it for under $500 euro.

Several at once thoughts. ..

How cool would that be ( I currently have a piece of pvc pipe hooked up to the motor...which...works. ..kinda)?
How cool would that look. ( I dont think im vain but sitting in a big chair steering with a big stainless steering wheel must look more classy than standing up fighting a piece of plastic pipe?)
WOULD it mean she's more a motor boat than sailor than?

Off course I cant really justify the $$$

But who can....I love my boat.

It would look so crazy cool

Hmmmm.....this project could be a relationship tester! !

How do I make it all her idea??

I think you really should spend the money on boat maintenance chopesbro
Invest in your future your man

ChopesBro
351 posts
29 Jan 2016 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

It was on the hard at Christmas.

Cleaned stripped and re painted. By the two of us.

I flog my girl ( yacht) but once a year she gets the full over haul.

As every boat should.

I cant sleep. Its hot...im passing it off as a must have safety option .

Now once I have a steering wheel. ..were is my captain's chair...and my captin wages

If you cant get excited about your yacht about working and improving it....you dont deserve it

MorningBird
NSW, 2662 posts
1 Feb 2016 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

The Matromarine electric toilet motor had a seized bearing and I figured it wouldn't be worth fixing so I bought a kit for it. The kit is described as a conversion kit and included the toilet base, motor and macerator. Because of a difficult to reach nut on a philips headed bolt that wouldn't undo I had to remove the motor from the new kit and fit it to my old base. Annoyed as the new base looks good. Why have a screwdriver head on a hard to reach bolt with a nut underneath the floor? GRRRR.
Anyway the toilet is now working so the boat is serviceable for use. Once we have finished with our house auction I hope to be able to use it until someone gets serious about buying her.
Just in case she doesn't sell, I have booked a mooring for the Lord Howe BBQ 2016. If she goes MB will be in Comets Hole again. MB needs an antifoul, new forard hatch, engine service (running beautifully but filters and oil are overdue) and possibly new standing rigging (just gone 10 years old but it hasn't been seriously stressed as I reduce sail and heave to in strong blows).

kurt88
NSW, 147 posts
5 Feb 2016 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

boat's been back together since charismas it basically had a full refit timber work all redone new interior new electrics and wiring 315 a/h of fusion agm battery's in custom made box lots of epoxy and glass .
165w in solar a mppt controller victon monitor lights fan ect
a 24' tv it only draws 1.8amps they said it would use 3amps so im happy with that its a cheapo kogan but good quality
I rebuilt the sliding companion way and lock also built a cover for my solar panel to mount to the panel also tilts port or starboard
added a panel to the pushpit aswell
my little beta diesel is going well too its done about 20hours so far.
propeller was repiched she now cruise at 5.8 knots max speed 6.9 very happy at 6.9 im digging a massive hole in the water "hull speed"
still lots of little jobs to do but im back out on the water so all is good

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
5 Feb 2016 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Good stuff Kurt I like you keep chipping away at the list

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
6 Feb 2016 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Started sanding back the other side of the Rudder today they were thousand of small moon craters all over it so I removed most of the gel coat and laid down some fiberglass cloth and epoxied that side .
So it had a new skin both sides now of epoxy Ill do the rudder pintle pivots later on as well seal them with epoxy and then later on fix teck around the the shaft where it enters the rudder case as a double seal .
The way this is going Ill be doing the rudder till the end of February Id say. . Hopefully it will see me out other than a anti foul from then on

Also purchased a Profurl C320 its on it way on a truck some where main reason for this size I wanted to run 7 mm fore-stay
www.profurl.com/fiche-A%7CPROFURL%7CC320-0201010000000000-theme-UK.html

The rudder side I opened up has has three more layers of cloth ans epoxy since this photo was taken
I also made a mix of high strength powder and before I closed it off I cut away strips off the foam back to the stainless steel H section and poured my mix in then closed it off after covering the foam with the same mix it wont come apart now or leak I hope

Can pick it up with one hand now before I started I couldn't she was water logged

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Feb 2016 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Gave both sides a sand and then wash off with water once tits dry Ill mix up some sanding filler. Ill use a sanding file I have here to fair it off.
This is a fairly flat rudder blade before I started may put a little curve in both side with the filler . Probably a waste of time don't think Ill get any more hull speed out of the old girl
It will certainly look far better than the acme rudder blade I had before hand . Plus its kept me away from the Pub and I'm only waiting til I dies any way Sands
Certainly wont be as good as Loose Change would have done but I do what I can

theselkie
QLD, 555 posts
7 Feb 2016 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Hello HG

I admire your skills. You deserve a pat on the back

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Feb 2016 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Hello HG

Its not finish yet could turn to horrible yet silkie I just gave one side some filler . Ive never used a long board to sand but thought Id better off doing on the rudder than the hull first .
I don't want any one saying that's an unusual trimaran after I faired the hull Sands would jump at the chance
Or
As Sands sails past he might say oh look there's S.V. bogabilla

Lazzz
NSW, 885 posts
7 Feb 2016 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

Or
As Sands sails past he might say oh look there's S.V. bogabilla

Have faith Haydn - it will turn out like the rest of your projects ............................................Just right

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Feb 2016 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Did a rough sand on one side and started with the sanding file ,the one I have is around 350 cm long seems to work well with 240 grit

few low spots yet to fill
Thanks Lazza

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
7 Feb 2016 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

aw comon HG , do you think i would say stuff like that ?

As Ive said before that yacht is fast becoming the best h28 on the planet !!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Feb 2016 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..

aw comon HG , do you think i would say stuff like that ?

As Ive said before that yacht is fast becoming the best h28 on the planet !!!

I guess you have not seen many nice Walker H 28s
here's a few nice ones below Sands and there's a lot more

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
7 Feb 2016 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
theselkie said..
Hello HG

Ive had a bit of advice of Andy69 to Selkie

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
7 Feb 2016 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

I have no doubt HG it will be the best H28 on the planet!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
13 Feb 2016 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

I finally rolled the first coat of Barrier coat on the rudder today

Also had a chance to sand back the tiller and a couple of Teak blocks that mount the Stay sail track. After chatting to Jabber wok saw the advantages on a lazy day and also a stormy one .
First coat in a way its good not having the boat in the water other wise I probably would not get around to this varnish job.
Ten coats to go

side ways at least those two don't really matter

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
13 Feb 2016 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

What did i do with my sailing boat today ?

Went for a sail and ripped the main

Bugger

Regards Don

slammin
QLD, 994 posts
14 Feb 2016 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Yep Bugger here too Don.

We went away over Xmas and Jan. Being a cyclone area I dropped the mast lashed everything down just in case. Well all good on that front but I now have a new problem.

Normally I have winch covers on and underneath them I cover the winch top with a disposable glove to make sure its 100% waterproof. Well in my lashing down I took all the covers off and figured I would just leave the gloves in place. Well the smart ones here will realize my folly. The gloves have not only disintegrated but have melted into a brown gooey mess stuck all over the winches...

I guess I'll have to dismantle them and soak and scrub. F#@%.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 Feb 2016 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Same as yesterday varnish the tiller and roll another epoxy barrier coat on the rudder .
I did also sanded and painted the mizzen spreaders.
Over the coming weeks, Ill thread some thin nylon rope through the halyards exit points on both masts ready to pull through halyard ropes

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin