Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Naish River Race 2012

Created by Jappy > 9 months ago, 2 Mar 2012
lookToSea
NSW, 183 posts
4 Apr 2012 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Heaps of entries received! The Naish River Race 2012, is gonna be bigger and better than ever!

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
4 Apr 2012 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

12'6 race isn't till lunchtime, i might have to pack the swag and sleep under a tree before my start

lookToSea
NSW, 183 posts
4 Apr 2012 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

JBFletch said...

12'6 race isn't till lunchtime, i might have to pack the swag and sleep under a tree before my start

JBFletch, There will be plenty to do, lots of different boards to try out, a few of the sponsors will be expoing their products! You can also enter the handicap race if your looking to get your race on earlier!

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
4 Apr 2012 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

1's enough.. maybe ill have a few early beers

Paulselec
NSW, 76 posts
4 Apr 2012 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

Getting close. Should be a great day.

lookToSea
NSW, 183 posts
5 Apr 2012 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Looking at doing a few training/time trial runs on the weekend if anyone is interested

boylos
NSW, 769 posts
5 Apr 2012 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

lookToSea said...

Looking at doing a few training/time trial runs on the weekend if anyone is interested

Yep Sunday is good for me after 2pm ?

Boylos

Jappy
NSW, 114 posts
8 Apr 2012 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just finalising the trophies today for the event. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has entered the Naish River Race 2012. We have approximately 50 competitiors and most have entered in several divisions. Entries have now closed.

Everything is set for a great day with a Coffee Van, BBQ Tent, several Exhibitor Tents with boards and paddles to demo and product for sale (including a range of great handmade jewellery from Inner Bead)

There are a limited number of Naish River Race 2012 hoodies for $60 each and t-shirts for $25 each. Last years t-shirts are available for $10 (limited sizes).

Raffle tickets will be available for sale on the day with great prizes up for grabs.

Don't forget the presentation will be at the Woronora River RSL Club from 5.00pm. Food is available to order at the Chinese Bistro in the Club. Remember you must personally be attendance at the Presentation to be part of the Competitors Draw.

See you the day and good luck to all competitors.

P.S. The race draw will be posted on the clubs website later this week.

SUPfrother
NSW, 19 posts
8 Apr 2012 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Still confused why regos have closed so early and why you can't register on the day? Is this a SUPSA thing?

Jappy
NSW, 114 posts
8 Apr 2012 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

SUPfrother said...

Still confused why regos have closed so early and why you can't register on the day? Is this a SUPSA thing?

Well SUPfrother not sure what your background is with event management and sporting clubs, but let me make it simple for you.

To hold any event it takes planning and it costs money.

Why would you order t-shirts for some weeks prior for an unknown number of competitors that may or may not attend. An event must not run at a loss to the club or association. There are many other associated costs / items (food, drinks, prizes, trophies, etc) that need to finalised prior to the event.

Another reason is time restraints we dont have to the time. We will be concentrating on getting the races on the way. Also the pre-check in for the handicap division takes time with competitiors weighing in, having boards and paddles measured.

Also as this event gets bigger each year (that's the plan) then limited spots will be available in each division and will go on a first in first served basis.

Hope that explains it.

SUPfrother
NSW, 19 posts
8 Apr 2012 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hey thanks for making it simple for me ... But no need to be condescending champ.

Got it that you have to plan and cost the event. My point is some of us would like to participate in your event but can't commit due to other factors that won't be sorted until a few days prior. It's a shame. You could charge folks more for on day rego and balance the risk against the projected cost. If you factor in your baseline attendance then you should be able to asesses this accurately. Simply by not guaranteeing an event shirt for late entries you could easily factor in more flexibility into your event. This is called a risk mitigation strategy ... You learn it in event management 101 ... But I'm not here to educate you am I.

Got it that you need more time for the handicap set up ... Why not program it later? Other events let you walk in on the day and it is a 'fun' event isn't it? ... It isn't the world titles ...

Anyway I wish your 50 competitors good luck on the day, shame there won't be more ...

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
8 Apr 2012 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

SUPfrother said...

Got it that you have to plan and cost the event. My point is some of us would like to participate in your event but can't commit due to other factors that won't be sorted until a few days prior. It's a shame. You could charge folks more for on day rego and balance the risk against the projected cost. If you factor in your baseline attendance then you should be able to asesses this accurately. Simply by not guaranteeing an event shirt for late entries you could easily factor in more flexibility into your event. This is called a risk mitigation strategy ... You learn it in event management 101 ... But I'm not here to educate you am I.

Great points. I missed out on registration by one day (after a few things that weekend freed up for me) and now can't attend.

Most other races (and a lot of surf comps) have a "rego on the day" option.

lookToSea
NSW, 183 posts
8 Apr 2012 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

SUPfrother said...

Got it that you need more time for the handicap set up ... Why not program it later? Other events let you walk in on the day and it is a 'fun' event isn't it? ... It isn't the world titles ...

Great points. I missed out on registration by one day (after a few things that weekend freed up for me) and now can't attend.

Most other races (and a lot of surf comps) have a "rego on the day" option.

Not sure why there is so much aggro over a closing date for entries. The Naish River Race is organised by a local club, CSSUPC Inc, which is in its second year. Supporting the race is supporting the future of a local club and unite the greater SUP community. The club is planning on running the River Race every April.

The decision, which was not made easily, to have a closing date was made by the club to mitigate the risk of cost (The club is putting up a lot of the cost in prizes, not to mention shirts, insurances and licensing), even though we could charge extra for late entries, it was decided that it would be better to have the costs covered early. Also if weather isn't favourable people will still turn up.

If you couldn't commit early you could let the organisers know, I'm sure something could have been worked out. Would be great to see you guys racing! (Feel free to PM me).

The Naish River Race is going to be a fun day of racing, it is a shame that people are trying to bring the event down by being so negative, about something so trivial.

I hope in the future there will be less negativity towards people organising events, and more support!

I encourage you to come down to the event even if you are not competing, the River Race was a great day last year, and was fun for both spectators and competitors, this year is going to be even bigger and better with several sponsors going to expo their products, it will be a great day, and support a local club.

SUPfrother
NSW, 19 posts
8 Apr 2012 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey lookto,

no aggro intended mate. I just asked a question and got a curt response back from your mate Jappy. No one likes to be spoken to like that! I thought it was a fair enough question.
I was keen to race but like Casso couldn't commit early. And it's a little too far to drive if your not racing though. More power to you and your club, I hope your event grows next year. I hear you guys are working hard and are committing a lot to the event; good on you and good luck.

I hope its a little more flex next year and that you can have walk ins!

MINGOS
NSW, 74 posts
11 Apr 2012 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

What are the prizes for the kids this time? Last time the prizes that were promised to them for 1st and 2nd place got raffled of , they waited all day for the preso and got nothing not to mention there names were changed in the local paper....sorry to bring some neg but just wondering if its going to be like that again???

Tim W
NSW, 10 posts
11 Apr 2012 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

I'm out for the reason of having to sign on at 7.30 and not racing till 2pm for a sprint race. I was talking to a couple of northside paddler's and they thought the same. I'm sure there are demo boards etc but think its dragged out a bit. Thats just my opinion though. I'm sure most competitors will have fun. Good spot for it as wind won't effect the course in any way. Good luck to every1 in it.

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
11 Apr 2012 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

I would have thought you would just wanted as many people to enter as possible to get people into the event and help the event grow as word of mouth is great advertising for future events...
I was thinking of coming down on the day with Casso and entering on the day ... Didn't even realize you could guess I should read things more? Oh well have a good day racing!!

JOYRIDER
705 posts
11 Apr 2012 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Ive been following online.

Its like a episode of HOME and AWAY.

(maybe "the shire" could be based on this event).

We are in the same situation in SA.
surely having as many people as possible at your event is more important then a few t-shirts.

If it comes to it, you print some more up and send them out.

Seems all a little bit negative.
i hope its a better vibe on the day.
good luck

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
11 Apr 2012 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

timopop said...

I'm out for the reason of having to sign on at 7.30 and not racing till 2pm for a sprint race.

Yeah - that's a bit rough.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
11 Apr 2012 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

I would have thought you would just wanted as many people to enter as possible to get people into the event and help the event grow as word of mouth is great advertising for future events...

With Sunday's forecast having no wind for the downwind crew and no surf for the surf crew, I reckon they could have got another 50 "rego on the day" entrants. With an additional surcharge for late entries, not only would they have made a stack of money for the Cronulla SUP Club but they'd have one of the biggest SUP races in NSW.

Some people might have to miss out on a cheap t-shirt and a sausage though.

dtm said...

I was thinking of coming down on the day with Casso ...

Wishful thinking!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
11 Apr 2012 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

You local guys should head on down anyway.. Have a fun social paddle.. and cheer the guy/gal/kid races on.. and join in the fun even if you don't race yourself..

DJ

Scotty88
4214 posts
11 Apr 2012 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Nothside boys would have a 1 hr and 20 min drive from say Mona Vale to Woronora.
Long drive for a social paddle. I don't want to be critical of the organisers as I don't realise the amount of work involved in organising an event like this one, but it is dissapointing to see SUPers left out due to missing the cut off - especially when the northside boys are prepared to make the drive.

Tarni
NSW, 58 posts
11 Apr 2012 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Great to see SUP contests have the same 'enquiries' as my surf or sailing events. A very big congratulations to all the club volunteers who have put the event together and given up their time money and skill for the benefit of others. Hope you have a great event and it continues to grow. Im sure it will.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
11 Apr 2012 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty88 said...

Nothside boys would have a 1 hr and 20 min drive from say Mona Vale to Woronora.
Long drive for a social paddle. I don't want to be critical of the organisers as I don't realise the amount of work involved in organising an event like this one, but it is dissapointing to see SUPers left out due to missing the cut off - especially when the northside boys are prepared to make the drive.

Yup. Well said Scotty.

PeterP
824 posts
11 Apr 2012 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

I organise a lot of events and the entry cut-off can be a problem both ways - you want to be as flexible as possible to give everyone a chance to enter but it's also nice to know what you are dealing with financially as just trophies can cost an arm and a leg and there is nothing worse than making up trophies and there is noone in the class to take them home.

Having said that I normally do allow on the day registration as sport is still young and we're still looking for the numbers.

What does look problematic to me is how a lot of events are trying to accommodate everyone and his waveboard - in this race we have 4 different board classes for 50 competitors? Thats 4 classes x 3 winners x Ladies and Mens = 24 podiums......and thats not counting the number of disciplines you have or trying to introduce age groups as well. It doesn't make sense.

Instead of trying to please everyone with their purchase I firmly believe event-organisers should force people into a single class and that class should be 14's - you can bring whatever you want but you can't win a prize on an unlimited and you probably won't on a 12'6 or waveboard. Then it's up to the competitors to choose their board - do you want to stand a chance of winning? Then bring a 14'.

If we want to make events viable then we need to limit the amount of classes to mens ladies and juniors and if you want a trophy you must bring a 14'. I do believe in having a shorter course for novices as the full length long distance racing will scare off first timers - but try that with 4 classes and you have 48 winners out of 50 entrants....

We as organisers have the chance to affect the future classes by implementing them now and it's working pretty well here in SA - we only have 14's because thats what we cater for in our races.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
14 Apr 2012 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Just checking.
Do we really need to be at the 730 rego if our race isnt until 1215??

Conditions look good cheers

JasonProsser
NSW, 268 posts
14 Apr 2012 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

JBFletch said...

Just checking.

7.30 is registration for all races.
You got it easy, those of us setting up will be there for 5.00, just so there is somewhere for you to register at 7.30.

ka43
NSW, 3065 posts
14 Apr 2012 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

What if you have to travel from Collaroy and your event isnt until 3pm??
Can I get a late check in and have a sleep in??
And how do you get there? I have trouble finding anywhere west of Pittwater Rd these days![}:)]
I just got glasses (old age catching up) so if you could announce me the winner of any of the prizes at 5:05pm I could make it home before dark, (need to see the road signs).
Are thongs standard dress code for the Rissole??

SUPfrother
NSW, 19 posts
14 Apr 2012 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

JasonProsser said...

JBFletch said...

Just checking.

7.30 is registration for all races.
You got it easy, those of us setting up will be there for 5.00, just so there is somewhere for you to register at 7.30.

Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
14 Apr 2012 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be there, and it is greatly appreciated to all the volunteers helping out.
I'm lucky I live close, so I can shoot home and do some chores before my start

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Naish River Race 2012" started by Jappy