Naish River Race 2012

Created by Jappy > 9 months ago, 2 Mar 2012
wazza66
QLD, 609 posts
14 Apr 2012 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

The family race idea is great.

Whoever thought of that idea hats off to you

Great way to encourage the young ones and the oldies.

Paulselec
NSW, 76 posts
15 Apr 2012 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to everyone that came along to make this an Awesome Day. Congratulations to all the winners.
Mark it in your diary for next year.

boylos
NSW, 769 posts
15 Apr 2012 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome event guys and well done to the team for all you hard work .

Looking forward to seeing some pics

Boylos

JasonProsser
NSW, 268 posts
15 Apr 2012 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Amazing day at the river. Happy kids, sleeping like babies.

A great time had by all, thanks to everyone that made it an excellent event.
Book me and the boys in for next year.

moretrouble
NSW, 2 posts
16 Apr 2012 1:54AM
Thumbs Up

A bit disappointed, the event could have been organized better. I arrived at 7.15 after over an hour drive. I cant really see the point of sitting around for 10 hours for a 20 min race, oh but depending on who you are you can arrive at 11.30 and register ( 3 people ) and even pay and enter on the day. Stick around till 5pm to maybe claim a prize, no thanks ( no show no prize ) I shall not return.

JasonProsser said...

JBFletch said...

Just checking.
Do we really need to be at the 730 rego if our race isnt until 1215??

Conditions look good cheers

7.30 is registration for all races.
You got it easy, those of us setting up will be there for 5.00, just so there is somewhere for you to register at 7.30.

surfanimal
NSW, 1637 posts
16 Apr 2012 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

moretrouble said...

A bit disappointed, the event could have been organized better. I arrived at 7.15 after over an hour drive. I cant really see the point of sitting around for 10 hours for a 20 min race, oh but depending on who you are you can arrive at 11.30 and register ( 3 people ) and even pay and enter on the day. Stick around till 5pm to maybe claim a prize, no thanks ( no show no prize ) I shall not return.

JasonProsser said...

JBFletch said...

Just checking.

You got it easy, those of us setting up will be there for 5.00, just so there is somewhere for you to register at 7.30.

I'm sure the guys will take any comments on board for next year and obviously the closing date prior to race day and early check in are issues for them to look at.

I also saw something similar to what you witnessed however we don't know the full story and there's always another side to it so we shouldn't assume the worst.

Last year, the 14's (main event) were up early with the family events in the afternoon which gave the 'competitors' the chance to race and be out of there before lunch and the families the chance to stick around into the afternoon with demos and the like in the arvo too....it worked.

Mind you, it's easy to comment from the sidelines and these guys put a ****load of effort into it so we should be thankful either way.

I started a separate post with some photos I took yesterday at;

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/CSSUPC-Naish-River-Race-Video-Images/

NB; I'm not affiliated with the club other than sharing the same local area.

Paulselec
NSW, 76 posts
16 Apr 2012 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

supanimal said...

moretrouble said...

JasonProsser said...

JBFletch said...

Just checking.

I'm sure the guys will take any comments on board for next year and obviously the closing date prior to race day and early check in are issues for them to look at.

I also saw something similar to what you witnessed however we don't know the full story and there's always another side to it so we shouldn't assume the worst.

Last year, the 14's (main event) were up early with the family events in the afternoon which gave the 'competitors' the chance to race and be out of there before lunch and the families the chance to stick around into the afternoon with demos and the like in the arvo too....it worked.

Mind you, it's easy to comment from the sidelines and these guys put a ****load of effort into it so we should be thankful either way.

I started a separate post with some photos I took yesterday at;

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/CSSUPC-Naish-River-Race-Video-Images/

NB; I'm not affiliated with the club other than sharing the same local area.

More Trouble,
I am sorry you feel that way and disapointed you chose a forum to air your views without first talking to the organisers in person.
In the clubs defence, the "late entries" you saw were actually people who had called the organisers in advance for their entries and Event Sponsors (who deserve an amount of leeway and privilage). Remember without sponsors and volunteers, these events don't happen.
I am happy to say that the majority of competitors enjoyed themselves and everybody went home with a t-shirt and a prize.
We will take your comments on board for next year, perhaps you could join the club and assist with the running of these events.
Paul.

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
16 Apr 2012 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

I have been following this thread since it started and I see the same old dramas coming through when it comes to competition.
The club needs to know numbers for numerous reasons, T-Shirts, catering, number of heats etc etc.
Some entrants can commit early and do so. Others have late cancelations of family events or other fixtures and want to enter late, they can't do so in this case as there was a cut-off. Then of course there is the 7.30 registration for an event not held till 3.00pm. Wow what a mine field, trying to please everybody all the time.
As a past Mal Club president and Contest Director I understand the organisers issues. As a once competitor I can understand that some people don't want to travel for an hour to register at 7.30 and then have to wait around till 3.00pm to race.
The bottom line is that if there are regulations put in place by the Organising Club then an entrant must abide by these regulations. These are the conditions under which the event is to be held.
However, we then get the age old "mates entries", (if it happened), someone who knows someone rocks up at 2.00 for a race at 3.00, pays his entry fee, registers and is in.
The problem here is that people who wanted to compete were stopped by the regulations where as someone who was "famous" or "knew someone" is able to compete. That is of course if the "allegation" took place.
The simple answer is that the organisers must stick to thier regulations regardless of "who" may want in. The competitors must abide by the regulations as part of thier entry conditions. If you don't like it don't go.
The bottom line is have "respect" for others, drop the "famous" friends crap and treat everyone the same.
Oh and go for a surf and enjoy your self.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
16 Apr 2012 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

A first time race, friend of mine, noted on our drive home that the "mates" thing came through in the prize giving too.

The format and location of the event is amazing.
After competing in the event it was evident that the reasons given for "no late entries" didn't really show on the day.

T-shirts, number of entrants, food etc.

The way the races where run (lots of time between each division) and the location could have easily made for open entries on the day.
The t-shirt issue is not a legit argument either, if you run out, send some more in the post after the event, simple.

overall it was a great race, but feedback needs to be taken onboard to make it better for next year.

thanks and cheers

ka43
NSW, 3065 posts
16 Apr 2012 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

It was first time for me also. I enjoyed the day and got some great advice from great paddlers. I also thank the organisers and sponsors for the day.
However, I too observed several people turning up at all times and registering and paying.
When you dont know anyone and are new to the sport etc the last thing you are gonna do is front an organiser and have a whinge.
So for a 30 minute race (lot longer for me) I was up at 6am, got there around 7:30am and sat around until my race at 2:15. Its a long day when your nervous
I also couldnt hang around for the after race activities at the RSL due to family commitments.
If the rules were for "no entries on the day" and enforced then there would be no bad feelings. Especially when I wasnt the only person to witness this.
Also Im sure you couldve got another 10 entries or maybe more from the north side if they were allowed to "drop in" and enter.
Anyway, it was big learning experience, I got a bit out of it but I think you should have a rethink on the rules and regs for next year.
Cheers.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
16 Apr 2012 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

ka43 said...

It was first time for me also. I enjoyed the day and got some great advice from great paddlers. I also thank the organisers and sponsors for the day.
However, I too observed several people turning up at all times and registering and paying.
When you dont know anyone and are new to the sport etc the last thing you are gonna do is front an organiser and have a whinge.
So for a 30 minute race (lot longer for me) I was up at 6am, got there around 7:30am and sat around until my race at 2:15. Its a long day when your nervous
I also couldnt hang around for the after race activities at the RSL due to family commitments.
If the rules were for "no entries on the day" and enforced then there would be no bad feelings. Especially when I wasnt the only person to witness this.
Also Im sure you couldve got another 10 entries or maybe more from the north side if they were allowed to "drop in" and enter.
Anyway, it was big learning experience, I got a bit out of it but I think you should have a rethink on the rules and regs for next year.
Cheers.

good on you for making the effort, to come down and get involved.
i was in the same boat regarding the massive wait between races, i was lucky enough to shoot home and get some chores done.
keep an eye on sea breeze, there will be more semi social events coming up in the cronulla area.

good work.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
16 Apr 2012 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

JBFletch said...

Select to expand quote
ka43 said...

keep an eye on sea breeze, there will be more semi social events coming up in the cronulla area.

good work.

there will be????

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
16 Apr 2012 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

ka43 said...

Cheers.

was that you and me down the back?

lookToSea
NSW, 183 posts
16 Apr 2012 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Hope everyone had a great day yesterday! I know I did! It was great to catch up with a lot of people, and meet a whole bunch of new faces.

Being one of the committe members for the Cronulla Sutherland SUP Club Inc, I can assure you that all of your feedback is being taken onboard. But in saying that no matter what is planned, we can't always please everyone, but we will work hard to try do it.

When we were organising the time table, the Blast Summer Series had organised their final race on the same day (in the morning), we decided at that point to move the big races (12'6, 14 and sup lemans) to the end of the day to allow people to compete in both the blast race and our event. After we had published out timetable, the blast series had moved to next week.

In the coming days/weeks we will be announcing the date for next years River Race for everyone to put in their calenders, we look forward to and even bigger and better event next year! Look forward to seeing you all down on the Woronora River again! If you are local to the area, the Cronulla Sutherland SUP Club Inc has a club round on the last sunday of each month, rounds alternate between Surf Contests and Flat Water races.

JasonProsser
NSW, 268 posts
16 Apr 2012 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Being on the water - whether ocean, river or lake - is a place where we can leave the pressures, problems, issues and negativity of every day life behind. It's a shame that this forum is not always an extension of that feeling.
If you came to the race and enjoyed it, I'm sure we'd love to see the pictures and hear about the good times you had and the people you met.
If you came and didn't have a good time, the place for that feedback is directly to the race directors.
If you didn't come, then I really don't see how you can make any comments.
Me and my family and friends had a great time. My son raced for the first time and has passionately told everbody he's met today all about it. How would he feel to read the comments by some on this thread. The organisers did their best to please as many people as they could, and I happily donated my time to help set up and break down the event, and will again next year.
The event is over for another year, and hopefully so is the "negative" press.
Look forward to showing my son the nice pictures and postings that may follow.

ka43
NSW, 3065 posts
16 Apr 2012 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah Greg, that was me
Never paddled behind a Manly Ferry but I reckon the wash from the 17 paddlers in front of me at the start would come close!! talk about a cork on the ocean!!
I think I was still in windsurf slalom racing mode waiting for the count down to the hooter (trying to hit the line at pace) but realised it was bang and go. No idea.
As I said, a complete new experience for me but its all a learning curve.
Nice chatting to you on the run round the bend Greg

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
16 Apr 2012 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

So, anyway ... what were the results? Who won the big raffle prizes? Anybody get some video?

surfanimal
NSW, 1637 posts
16 Apr 2012 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

So, anyway ... what were the results? Who won the big raffle prizes? Anybody get some video?

Ha, I thought the same thing this afternoon !

Who won what ?

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
16 Apr 2012 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

supanimal said...

Casso said...

Who won what ?

So the big raffle prize went to a 1 yo.............something to grow into funniest thing ever!
And the quickblade went to a lady from NZ, Gemma whom wanted to know where to SUP in Sydney........not bad, not sure how you get it home.

There were no prizes for last, Steve didnt even buy me the beer we bet

chris1600dat
NSW, 5 posts
16 Apr 2012 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

I am a first timer when it comes to SUP-ing, ive had my board for three weeks and had a ball on the day, big thanks to the guys for putting this on, I had fun. Great weather and good to be out on the water. Keen for the next shire surf comp!

here is a pic I took before the handicap race

[URL=/] [/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

lookToSea
NSW, 183 posts
17 Apr 2012 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Lots of photos are up online at

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.360089104028256.75427.139225079447994&type=1

Dane Hurst won both the 14 and SUP Lemans race,
Josh Fletcher won the 12'6 race,
Peter and Courtney won the Family Race
Mark Mitchell won the unlimited board and non race board races.
Mel McManus won the 12'6 and 14 womens races.

will find out the other results/places and post soon.

surfanimal
NSW, 1637 posts
17 Apr 2012 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

lookToSea said...

Thanks Dan, non FB'ers ?

Are you loading onto your blog ?

Cheers, Chris.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
17 Apr 2012 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

lookToSea said...

Great photos and thanks for the results. Anybody know how Mel M placed against the guys?

Hey Jappy, what's with the running shoes - a new tactic?

Paulselec
NSW, 76 posts
17 Apr 2012 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

ShireSUP said...

supanimal said...

Casso said...

Who won what ?

So the big raffle prize went to a 1 yo.............something to grow into funniest thing ever!
And the quickblade went to a lady from NZ, Gemma whom wanted to know where to SUP in Sydney........not bad, not sure how you get it home.

Was a hard fought last place that one Greg. I may have a nice timber spoon that you can have......Nice work behind the BBQ on the day mate.

Paulselec
NSW, 76 posts
17 Apr 2012 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

lookToSea said...

Great photos and thanks for the results. Anybody know how Mel M placed against the guys?

Hey Jappy, what's with the running shoes - a new tactic?

Mel did very well against the Guy's. She would have been 3rd in the 12'6 class.

lookToSea
NSW, 183 posts
17 Apr 2012 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

supanimal said...

lookToSea said...

Thanks Dan, non FB'ers ?

Are you loading onto your blog ?

Cheers, Chris.

Hey Chris, will get them up on the blog when I have a chance to write up a bit of a story.

Facebook was the fastest means of getting photos out there.

Muzz65
NSW, 70 posts
17 Apr 2012 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Had we been able to enter on the day there would have been 3 more entires from the Northside.
We rang and were disappointed to be told no entries on the day.
It's even more disappointing if that was not the case.

bigmc
NSW, 244 posts
17 Apr 2012 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Casso .. yes I am pretty sure she was 3rd after being drafted for most of the race by a loving husband who shall remain nameless. Great day was had by at least 99.9% of competitors

Greg Don't worry I will get you a cold beer. I don't forget my bets (up to a value of $10)

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
17 Apr 2012 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Paulselec said...

ShireSUP said...

supanimal said...

Casso said...

Who won what ?

Was a hard fought last place that one Greg. I may have a nice timber spoon that you can have......Nice work behind the BBQ on the day mate.

Fanks..............

westwaves
10 posts
17 Apr 2012 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

We really enjoyed our day at the Naish River Race. It was the first time we had ever had the opportunity to attend such an event. The venue on the Woronora river was an great spot with plenty of shade on a day when the weather was playing cricket. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. It was great fun to demo some boards and see kids also having a go at supping. My niece tried it for the first time and loved it so much it was hard to get her off the water. The event organizers worked hard through out the day to ensure everyone had a good time. It was a great effort on their part. Thanks to the sponsors for their contribution that made this such a fun event.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Naish River Race 2012" started by Jappy