Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Ron's knife project

Created by arkgee > 9 months ago, 8 Mar 2015
Macaha
QLD, 21882 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

OK lets get this thread back on track fellas.

Fire away Ron.

RoyStuart
532 posts
22 Mar 2015 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said..
surfbroker said...

Design is about innovation ..Why is a dimpled golf ball flying further than a smooth ball..I would think that dimples would slow it..but not the case.

By the way..It's Summercloud Roy

Laminar vs turbulent flow. Physics. Same reason quad is faster than a thruster.

All good regarding the golf ball, what's the connection to quad vs thruster?

RoyStuart
532 posts
22 Mar 2015 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..
arkgee said..

RoyStuart said..
Wrong thread, this is Ron's. Ask me on my thread.

Short answer: I welcome criticism, can't speak for Ron... but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with it.

I have been shaping since 1970 Roy...and have had an active mind when it comes to surf design....anyone who knows me knows I think outside the square....you talk down to people...you are telling me not asking me wether a design will work or not....I don't like it...and let me tell you now...my emotions are in check...you will know when they are not.... I can handle all the criticism you can dish out.... but you can carry on with all the laws of physics that you have learnt from books until the cows come home......my 45 years of shaping together with 54 years of surfing...2 Australian titles...numerous state titles and zone titles.....give me unassailable credentials as far as I am concerned. I have stayed out of your thread because I don't really agree with any of your designs, you are obviously dancing to the beat of a different drummer though, and I respect you for that so if you want to talk about surf design I'm all ears, but be careful of your delivery, in written word your coming across as a real prick. I am not too impressed with where this thread is heading and would kindly ask you give this some thought before you hit the post button...thank you.

BOOM

Chest thumping trumps basic physics?

Hilarious.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
22 Mar 2015 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..

chrispy said..

arkgee said..

RoyStuart said..
Wrong thread, this is Ron's. Ask me on my thread.

Short answer: I welcome criticism, can't speak for Ron... but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with it.

I have been shaping since 1970 Roy...and have had an active mind when it comes to surf design....anyone who knows me knows I think outside the square....you talk down to people...you are telling me not asking me wether a design will work or not....I don't like it...and let me tell you now...my emotions are in check...you will know when they are not.... I can handle all the criticism you can dish out.... but you can carry on with all the laws of physics that you have learnt from books until the cows come home......my 45 years of shaping together with 54 years of surfing...2 Australian titles...numerous state titles and zone titles.....give me unassailable credentials as far as I am concerned. I have stayed out of your thread because I don't really agree with any of your designs, you are obviously dancing to the beat of a different drummer though, and I respect you for that so if you want to talk about surf design I'm all ears, but be careful of your delivery, in written word your coming across as a real prick. I am not too impressed with where this thread is heading and would kindly ask you give this some thought before you hit the post button...thank you.

BOOM

Chest thumping trumps basic physics?

Hilarious.

my chest is small and feminine ....stop being personal....and please be kind

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..
The personal abuse has been all yours... go back and check.

Your chest thumping notwithstanding (since none of it is relevant) constricting flow by hooking those blades is going to cause extra drag, it doesn't take books to know that though books will obviously confirm it.

By the way I did post that I like your 70's boards and asked a polite question about the shape of the 'blades' on the board in the picture, no need to answer if you don't want to.

I have seen your boards....I have seen you surf...you have nothing to contribute to this thread.... you can now f#ck off

'that is personal abuse

you can post whatever you like...you will not get any more response from me

MickPC
8266 posts
22 Mar 2015 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice looking quiver

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
22 Mar 2015 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Ron ,did you try the board finless? The board in centre of 70s quiver,the dark one,looks good,how did it go?

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

first date was good....we did not know each other so both of us were a little timid.....I must say though we were both comfortable in each others space

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1402 posts
22 Mar 2015 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said...
Ctngoodvibes said..
surfbroker said...

Design is about innovation ..Why is a dimpled golf ball flying further than a smooth ball..I would think that dimples would slow it..but not the case.

You can't work it out?

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
22 Mar 2015 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

nice image !!!

MickPC
8266 posts
22 Mar 2015 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Gotta say Ron takes the best pic's of his boards, often somehow standing up on a beautiful beach or balancing on something...^ Now hovering haha

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Ricardo1709 said..

Ron ,did you try the board finless?

not a big fan of the finless stuff Ric...down the track I will probably give it a go....this fin worked better this afternoon...more drive....it's squirting out of the turn and I'm loving the bite off the blades...when you find it's sweet spot it rockets out of the turn

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..
Gotta say Ron takes the best pic's of his boards, often somehow standing up on a beautiful beach or balancing on something...^ Now hovering haha

Plus one...that hovering pic is one of the most interesting board pics I've seen.
Foil looks all performance.

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

second date we were much closer...she had a new fin on...I love that new fin...we danced and were one....I may be in love....she smiled at me this afternoon

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
22 Mar 2015 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

that does look very nice !!!!!!!

IFocus
WA, 582 posts
22 Mar 2015 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..

Compressing and/or constricting water flow will always create more drag, the idea that by constricting the flow one speeds the water up is a complete myth.

Not quite (from what I know of process control) the water exiting around the tail inside the runners against the surfboard tail surface will definitely have a higher velocity than the water outside on the rail.

BTW you cannot compress water (any time but we are talking flow here) only increase the pressure applied to it which will increase its velocity.

There will be a differential pressure across the whole construct (include the fin) as you say creating drag when the board is flat in the water but once its placed on its rail while turning the applied dynamic forces change (water flow across the board surface as a whole due to pivot and arc ie angle) would be quite dramatic no idea about the out come interested in Rons feed back.

Note that boards using single / double concave and combinations seem to me to have a higher degree of speed (talking short boards, less control as speed increases in my experience) are I assume using differential pressure to create lift and higher speed.

Interested in your thoughts on that?

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IFocus said..

RoyStuart said..

Compressing and/or constricting water flow will always create more drag, the idea that by constricting the flow one speeds the water up is a complete myth.

Not quite (from what I know of process control) the water exiting around the tail inside the runners against the surfboard tail surface will definitely have a higher velocity than the water outside on the rail.

BTW you cannot compress water (any time but we are talking flow here) only increase the pressure applied to it which will increase its velocity.

There will be a differential pressure across the whole construct (include the fin) as you say creating drag when the board is flat in the water but once its placed on its rail while turning the applied dynamic forces change (water flow across the board surface as a whole due to pivot and arc ie angle) would be quite dramatic no idea about the out come interested in Rons feed back.

Note that boards using single / double concave and combinations seem to me to have a higher degree of speed (talking short boards, less control as speed increases in my experience) are I assume using differential pressure to create lift and higher speed.

I touched on this on page 4 I think....my words were "the angle of attack will change as the board tilts over through the turn"....."water flow across the board surface as a whole due to pivot and arc ie angle" is pretty much what I meant....and is exactly what I am finding in the 2 surfs I have had....it comes out of the turn with speed and seems to hug the wave face better as you are dropping into the turn...early days and poor surf but it is sparking me that's for sure....as for creating drag when the board is flat...it just seems to be really stable when its flat. and please FFS don't ask him questions on this thread...can you go over to his

MickPC
8266 posts
22 Mar 2015 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

^Better still, private message him

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1402 posts
22 Mar 2015 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IFocus said...
RoyStuart said..

Spot on Ifocus. Especially in regards concaves. Perfect for boards in small waves.
And yes water is not compressible (at least not without a force way larger than anything exerted by a surfboard). Roy's physics might need some sharpening.

thePup
13831 posts
22 Mar 2015 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

How is the responsiveness RG ???? Is she turning sharply without any slide , I think looking at this one there might be orders if you already haven't had some bites too

surferstu
1011 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Do you plan to try this out using some of your different boards Ron?

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
22 Mar 2015 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
arkgee said..

second date we were much closer...she had a new fin on...I love that new fin...we danced and were one....I may be in love....she smiled at me this afternoon

That looks really good.

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..
How is the responsiveness RG ???? Is she turning sharply without any slide , I think looking at this one there might be orders if you already haven't had some bites too

not ready to take orders for these yet Pup...its early days...I am building one for my nephew, who is a real charger down south...his feedback will be important...the board is responsive...have not felt any drift, but its been small waves only...first surf this morning was waves I would have used my 9"4"log in and it went fine...this arvo low tide grovel with bigger fin it started to feel real nice....trims beautifully...paddles great...I think due to its low nose entry rocker.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Amazing looking board. Love the thread Ron and thanks for posting..

I know nothing about design but that thing looks amazing

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surferstu said..
Do you plan to try this out using some of your different boards Ron?

as I said at the start surfer, I just wrote down the criteria for what I wanted and the rest just fell into place....nothing in this board is something I have not tried before, but lots of it I have not used together...I will say though, of my nine points of criteria it has ticked eight after the second surf...and I'm a bit chuffed about that

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
22 Mar 2015 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..
Amazing looking board. Love the thread Ron and thanks for posting..

I know nothing about design but that thing looks amazing

thePup
13831 posts
22 Mar 2015 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
arkgee said..

Taa mate - I think she's a winner & hoping she comes into production for everyone ..... hey that wild child looks familiar I bet it's my fave below

RoyStuart
532 posts
23 Mar 2015 2:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IFocus said..
RoyStuart said..

Actually the water cannot be accelerated aft. If there is a velocity difference it's a matter of how much the water is dragged along with the board, and constricting the flow will only cause water to be dragged along in the direction of travel more than elsewhere.

Select to expand quote

Regarding compression of the water that was part of Ron's explanation of the bonzer setup, I mentioned it so that he knew that I was referring to that part of the description and amended it by saying 'constricted.

I'm aware that the common lore is that water can't be compressed but in fact every material compresses under pressure, no matter how insignificantly.

Select to expand quote

Even when the board is on the rail with only one runner being used drag will be increased as the runner will lie across the water flow more as angle of attack increases, the hook in the trailing area guarantees this.

Select to expand quote

Pressure differences fore and aft will be less on concave boards ( more even pressure with less pressure drop towards the tail) thereby increasing lift and ideally overall efficiency.

RoyStuart
532 posts
23 Mar 2015 2:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said..And yes water is not compressible (at least not without a force way larger than anything exerted by a surfboard). Roy's physics might need some sharpening.

As mentioned above it was Ron who suggested that water is compressed in a bonzer setup, not me.

Although compression isn't the most useful way of describing what happens when water flow is constricted, water will compress under pressure of any magnitude.

Water has low compressibility, but still compresses. High school physics has a lot to answer for. You might want to sharpen yours.

Compressibility[edit]

The compressibility of water is a function of pressure and temperature. At 0 °C, at the limit of zero pressure, the compressibility is 5.1×10-10 Pa-1.[31] At the zero-pressure limit, the compressibility reaches a minimum of 4.4×10-10 Pa-1 around 45 °C before increasing again with increasing temperature. As the pressure is increased, the compressibility decreases, being 3.9×10-10 Pa-1 at 0 °C and 100 MPa.

The bulk modulus of water is 2.2 GPa.[32] The low compressibility of non-gases, and of water in particular, leads to their often being assumed as incompressible. The low compressibility of water means that even in the deep oceans at 4 km depth, where pressures are 40 MPa, there is only a 1.8% decrease in volume.[32]

RoyStuart
532 posts
23 Mar 2015 2:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said..
RoyStuart said...
Ctngoodvibes said..
surfbroker said...

You can't work it out?

Explain please, I don't see it.

You implied that one has laminar flow and the other turbulent.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Ron's knife project" started by arkgee