Where did you surf today?

Created by Simondo > 9 months ago, 23 Mar 2013
Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
13 Sep 2015 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said...
We've had some wild storms the past couple of days mate - I was surprised there was anything at all today .... but yes we can be days on end without love

You still planning to move East at some point Pup? If so when is it likely to happen?

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
13 Sep 2015 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said...
Macaha said..
Good pictures once again Chrispy, your hired photographer is doing a grand job

ooops those pics were taken by someone in the club.......most probably look at me photagraphy

haha mate I was only joking

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
13 Sep 2015 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

The mighty mumbles from the nodeckcrew4217 styling. This grom is in the over 60"s yeeeeeoooooooooow

thePup
13831 posts
13 Sep 2015 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

thePup said...
We've had some wild storms the past couple of days mate - I was surprised there was anything at all today .... but yes we can be days on end without love

You still planning to move East at some point Pup? If so when is it likely to happen?

Yeah brother - touch wood I'm hoping to be there by the end of the year with heaps of time to spare

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
13 Sep 2015 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said...
No.surf for me today as Sundays I entertain the precious cargo. Went down to support the nodeckcrew at the narrowneck longboard comp. The lads scored some very fun waves.....until the finals and the devil south wind hit. Went to LM,and scored some yellow sand filled drainers. Very glad my neck was not snapped.

Well here are some narrowneck longboard pics

Yeah. Some if the bigger waves at lm where a lot of fun speeding down the line. Very good wave when it gets like that

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
13 Sep 2015 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Nice pics Chrispy. I'm on it tomorrow. Can't wait

NewScotty
2350 posts
14 Sep 2015 4:48AM
Thumbs Up

Shattered can't believe Souths are out.
Bloody refs

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
14 Sep 2015 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NewScotty said...
Shattered can't believe Souths are out.
Bloody refs

where do you think Souths will be surfing today Scotty?

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
14 Sep 2015 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Got a few lefts out there today. Nothing special. Was a bit rusty after not getting any waves for 2 weeks. Couldn't believe how much warmer the water is compared to a few weeks back. No sharks

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
14 Sep 2015 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Nice work agnak

We had glassy but bit wonky 3ft up here for a couple of hours until the devil south wind killed it.....scored some some nice ones. I was pretty happy as i have been surfing pretty badly lately. Today I was not great but I was sorting some bad habits out.....so very happy if it continues

agnak
311 posts
14 Sep 2015 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

^sorry bout that chrispy, tried to do two pics but fked up...swell dropped heaps here today but conditions were bit better.

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
15 Sep 2015 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Got some little knee high runners . Clean and the water is warming. May be getting close to packing the steamer away but we could get some cooler days yet.

thePup
13831 posts
15 Sep 2015 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Home & clean if on the small side but the odd pearler for reward

Salty Sea Dog
VIC, 346 posts
15 Sep 2015 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..
Nice work agnak

We had glassy but bit wonky 3ft up here for a couple of hours until the devil south wind killed it.....scored some some nice ones. I was pretty happy as i have been surfing pretty badly lately. Today I was not great but I was sorting some bad habits out.....so very happy if it continues

Hey Chrispy, how do you go about working the bad habits out. I've got into a terrible habit with my pop up which I keep reverting to without thinking. It's totally doing my head in as it screwing my surf right up. I try concentrate on the change I need to make but as soon as I take the drop muscle memory takes over.

Hopefully you've got a neat Jedi mind trick for me?

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
15 Sep 2015 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Salty Sea Dog you made me smile. Jedi tricks ummmmm

Look I was having problems going from my midlength to my shorty. My mid I could pop up and surf the board from anywhere. I could also get into waves so much easier so it sorta made me lazy. I also get into the bad habit of getting straight legged instead of compressing and extending.

On my pop ups I read something a while ago about popping up on dry land no more than ten times. So I worked out how many tiles on my floor would be my
board. Then I just started popping up. I guess I'm retraining my muscle memory. I will do it all the time over the last week and it seems to be working. Especially being bent at the knees and relaxed when I'm on my feet.

On the straight legs,I'm just on the skater and pretending I'm on a wave. I'm sure I look like a tad,but that too is working. Bend the knees low and compress,then extend the legs through my turn. Just big carves really....

When I'm in the surf I don't over think it,just a few good breaths and hope for the best

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
15 Sep 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

More importantly we had the most fun waves today. Reports were way off the mark.
Took this pick when I drove into the carpark..... It was way better than the pic....but hey,that's all I took

thePup
13831 posts
15 Sep 2015 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Looked like a wicked morning's haul champion

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
15 Sep 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said...
Salty Sea Dog you made me smile. Jedi tricks ummmmm

Look I was having problems going from my midlength to my shorty. My mid I could pop up and surf the board from anywhere. I could also get into waves so much easier so it sorta made me lazy. I also get into the bad habit of getting straight legged instead of compressing and extending.

On my pop ups I read something a while ago about popping up on dry land no more than ten times. So I worked out how many tiles on my floor would be my
board. Then I just started popping up. I guess I'm retraining my muscle memory. I will do it all the time over the last week and it seems to be working. Especially being bent at the knees and relaxed when I'm on my feet.

On the straight legs,I'm just on the skater and pretending I'm on a wave. I'm sure I look like a tad,but that too is working. Bend the knees low and compress,then extend the legs through my turn. Just big carves really....

When I'm in the surf I don't over think it,just a few good breaths and hope for the best

That works well and even just visualising the movement and postures you want. I lived inland for four years in the late 90s and my surfing improved markedly even though I surfed less and I put it down to active visualisation and practicing in the lounge room the positions I wanted my body in. The compression on take off is pretty important. I distinctly remember the session many many years ago where I finally figured out what the other bloke out was doing and why he was making these drops I was struggling on.

Visualise and dry runs and a calm mind while surfing. The calm mind stuff works too I reckon. I started that when I used to surf some big waves and that head place still helps in crowds and critical spaces.

BTW, surfed today for the first time in a week and half. It was PUMPING this afternoon. Bigger all people. Glassy. Double head high. Yeeeeewwww!!!!

MickPC
8266 posts
15 Sep 2015 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Some fun ones on the log today. Conditions were perfect for trying to cross step, but I still struggled. Just stepped right off the front of the board a couple of times

agnak
311 posts
17 Sep 2015 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

good conditions yesty for the inbetween swell novelty spots, it`ll be on in a couple days tho.....are you ready Ted?

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
20 Sep 2015 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

Yes indeed. This is what happened on my fourth wave This morning before the sun was even up

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
20 Sep 2015 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said...
Yes indeed. This is what happened on my fourth wave This morning before the sun was even up

Bad luck hey.

Will you get another?

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
20 Sep 2015 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Ordered one a few weeks back - but might try n get an Evo or another Nano if I can one in Bali today. Have a mate driving back here Wednesday so he can bring it back for me.

agnak
311 posts
20 Sep 2015 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

lol, crikey Ted thats a mess,

this morning was crankin, next sesh i`ll try an get a pic

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
20 Sep 2015 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Arrrggghhh thats tragic !!

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
21 Sep 2015 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Surfed some wonky rights on Saturday for an hour with a couple of others

Sunday morning 3 hrs 3-4 foot low tide rights 10 guys pumping
Sunday arvo 3 hrs 3-4 foot high tide rights 10 guys pumping

...my arms may fall off at some stage

MickPC
8266 posts
21 Sep 2015 7:00AM
Thumbs Up

1 foot clean beachie at Cenang beach Langkawi on a soft top yesterday. Warmest water I've ever felt, too warm if you don't pace your waves. Place is basically East of Northern Indonesia. I'm surprised how much warmer the water is than Bali & the sun goes down a lot later too. Bali's dark at 6pm, is like 7pm here...skys just clearing up after the fires in Sumatra...nice place, but I wouldn't plan a surf trip for here haha

Ted you did a great job on that board, if your gonna break a board, ya may as well do it right eh...so how exactly did it get so hammered? & did you do that at home or in Oz?

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
21 Sep 2015 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Low tide n breaking square Mick - it just collapsed on me as I grabbed the rail to pull in. So must have done it on the previous wave I think. Then I copped the next one right in the detonation zone - good size n it came up in pieces. Got absolutely smashed. Glad there was not one more behind it or I would have been in trouble.

Surfed a nice long left this morning on the low tide. Fun but not too many coming through. Hate the back up board - it's like driving a slow bus after the last one.

Calm before the storm here today. Nervous anticipation at every corner. Few bloodied bodies but not seen a broken stick yet.

Looking forward to getting up to the NE of Indo come the wet season. Glad to see u having some fun.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
21 Sep 2015 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

yep that was a decimation ted

a island yesterday was not as good as hoped but still some very chunky ones coming through

today no vanders,i did try and no luck,so went to a point closer to home...was crowded but lots of take off points...very fun.

tomorrow i hope to be at home...if our good banks have not been decimated by this swell...fingers crossed and then get my new board shaped

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
21 Sep 2015 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Chrispy tried calling you back before I hit it for a second time with Asea. Phone is pretty much being ignored so as not to get dragged back into work stuff.
2 good surfs today at Kirra, northerlies predicted to come in so time to make the best of it.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Where did you surf today?" started by Simondo