At K with V good long mal waves

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
21 Sep 2015 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..
yep that was a decimation ted

a island yesterday was not as good as hoped but still some very chunky ones coming through

today no vanders,i did try and no luck,so went to a point closer to home...was crowded but lots of take off points...very fun.

tomorrow i hope to be at home...if our good banks have not been decimated by this swell...fingers crossed and then get my new board shaped

is it going to be a bsq down in byron

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
21 Sep 2015 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Dont panic the watermelon board will be finished this Friday.

MickPC
8266 posts
21 Sep 2015 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Low tide n breaking square Mick - it just collapsed on me as I grabbed the rail to pull in. So must have done it on the previous wave I think. Then I copped the next one right in the detonation zone - good size n it came up in pieces. Got absolutely smashed. Glad there was not one more behind it or I would have been in trouble.

Surfed a nice long left this morning on the low tide. Fun but not too many coming through. Hate the back up board - it's like driving a slow bus after the last one.

Calm before the storm here today. Nervous anticipation at every corner. Few bloodied bodies but not seen a broken stick yet.

Looking forward to getting up to the NE of Indo come the wet season. Glad to see u having some fun.

haha yep definately looks like a wave detonated on it...there were guys heading to the islands off Banda Aceh & Sri Lanka when we transferred in KL...was very jealous, looks like lots of uncrowded options. I considered popping over for a few days since we're so close. We can see lights from Sumatra at night. Winds been light offshore from the East in the morning, probably cool air running down the mountain. Then swinging to a light Westerly mid day, but so light you could still surf most breaks over there I'd say. Have heard Dec-Mar is the go as you say. Wish I could join you

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
21 Sep 2015 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Solid swell today. I got a couple - one very memorable double head high right on the longboard - and copped a wash through. Bit dodgy but fun.

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
21 Sep 2015 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

And I want to get a longboard with a 2+1 set up. Maybe a different rocker too. The single fun on my longboard feels a bit "how you doing" on some of the bigger wally ones. I live singles but after falling out of the wall up north earlier this year, and feeling some of the rare weirdness on the longboard, I need to talk to my shaper for a more appropriate board for the conditions I surfed today as they are the bread and butter for a lot of the year.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
22 Sep 2015 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said...
Solid swell today. I got a couple - one very memorable double head high right on the longboard - and copped a wash through. Bit dodgy but fun.

The the next few days we will benefit from those same swells.....and the tides will be good as well. At last

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
21 Sep 2015 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said...
thedrip said...

The the next few days we will benefit from those same swells.....and the tides will be good as well. At last

Enjoy. It is a very clean grunty swell. Several blokes independently told me one of the local points was as good as it gets yesterday (I missed it unfortunately due to kid commitments), and another bloke said one of the open ocean waves was classic ten foot. This arvo my mate and I were commenting on how this wasn't quite as big as "the swell of the decade" but a far better swell. Lined up without wonk. It's been running for three days so by the time you get it it should really be clean (even for indo) and you might be surprised by the thickness of it.

I am off up north again this Saturday I hope I get a nice little window of late season swell there.

I keep looking at that pic of your board and going

I can't imagine a board being so totally twisted and smashed.

Ps: a guy lost an eye surfing locally recently. That really makes you go . Thoughts go out to him.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
22 Sep 2015 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..
And I want to get a longboard with a 2+1 set up. Maybe a different rocker too. The single fun on my longboard feels a bit "how you doing" on some of the bigger wally ones. I live singles but after falling out of the wall up north earlier this year, and feeling some of the rare weirdness on the longboard, I need to talk to my shaper for a more appropriate board for the conditions I surfed today as they are the bread and butter for a lot of the year.

I reckon longboard gun is what your after...slightly pulled in nose and tail...2+1 vee out the tail

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
22 Sep 2015 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tux said..

thedrip said..

I reckon longboard gun is what your after...slightly pulled in nose and tail...2+1 vee out the tail

Keep talking sense to me - I am prone to silly rushes of enthusiasm. You are absolutely right.

Like me thinking one of the VadeRs or Nanos would be a good idea with my ankle...dumb.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
22 Sep 2015 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..

Tux said..

thedrip said..

Keep talking sense to me - I am prone to silly rushes of enthusiasm. You are absolutely right.

Like me thinking one of the VadeRs or Nanos would be a good idea with my ankle...dumb.

There not hurting mine...surfing better than I ever have on the 5'10 although I did try a rediculous chop hop shuvit type thing and landed all awkward on it...for a coupl of seconds I thought I was defo on my way back to the surgeon

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
22 Sep 2015 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't had the surgery and got told to hold off as long as possible. Hence pain still occurs daily. When it gets too bad to live with I will go in for the surgery. But it does limit super hard bottom turns when throwing it in the pocket in HP boards. Hence I purchase things that force me to draw different lines. I can't help myself if I am on a four foot wave and one of my HP shorties.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
22 Sep 2015 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..
I haven't had the surgery and got told to hold off as long as possible. Hence pain still occurs daily. When it gets too bad to live with I will go in for the surgery. But it does limit super hard bottom turns when throwing it in the pocket in HP boards. Hence I purchase things that force me to draw different lines. I can't help myself if I am on a four foot wave and one of my HP shorties.

I hear ya bro...defo try and avoid surgury as long as you can and the make sure you get it done over summer

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
22 Sep 2015 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Summer? Lol. I am trying to hold off for years if I can. There's all sorts of ugly things going on in there and the best the surgeon reckons he could do is relieve the pain. I may actually lose some function though, so not rushing at all.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
22 Sep 2015 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

excellent waves to day.

one of the local lifeguards celebrated his birthday with some flawless tubes. was a pleasure to watch and made mine seem pretty crap

beautiful sunny and hot day with good crew and waves. just cant beat it

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
22 Sep 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Chrispy while we surfed and parked up the north end of coolie,we disided to take your advice and hit up Sun House only to be greeted with not much interest and told the kitchen was closed for reno's Is this the new smokehouse you tagged me on Instagram

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
22 Sep 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Nah the new on with jr's different.

Shame about sunhouse as i git treated really well. And I so don't fit into their cool club

Cobra
9106 posts
23 Sep 2015 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

school holidays Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, So decision time, do i concrete today or assemble a flat pack kitchen.
anyhow enjoy your waves wherever you are

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
23 Sep 2015 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Still a bit of size on the sets this morning. Otherwise it's great fun. Not as big as you have had Drip but still pretty chunky at times.

SP
10979 posts
23 Sep 2015 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Nice photos ted...

Geez your nano is farking decimated.. Did you land on it or anything?

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
23 Sep 2015 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

That bottom one looks pretty solid. I would be looking for the 8 footer on that. Did you hit both the waves?

The left looks so much fun. If I could make the take off of course. Barrel riding isn't hard - making the drop and having the courage to pull in is the stuff I struggle with.

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
23 Sep 2015 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

How big is that right? I am guessing about 8 foot?

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
23 Sep 2015 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah that left is pretty much my fav wave these days. So much fun. Very heavy when it's big - I am happy to miss those sessions but at 1.5 overhead it's insane. That other wave is a bit of trick photography. It is a wave slightly west of the real wave hardly anyone surfs it. That boat is in the channe looking at the left out of picture. Would have been 8 that one but most were 4-6 this morning.

SP - did not hit the board just wrong place at the wrong time. Low tide and heaving I should have stayed on the beach. All season I refused to surf it on the dead low tide. But it looked so perfect at sunrise I had to go. Regretted that decision ever since ! Hate riding my back up board. New one coming shortly.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
23 Sep 2015 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Still a bit of size on the sets this morning. Otherwise it's great fun. Not as big as you have had Drip but still pretty chunky at times.

looks pretty solid from where I'm sitting...i'm with Drip on the 8+ guns for something like...I will also be doing a full poo man stance straght for the nearest chennel

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
23 Sep 2015 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Yeah that left is pretty much my fav wave these days. So much fun. Very heavy when it's big - I am happy to miss those sessions but at 1.5 overhead it's insane. That other wave is a bit of trick photography. It is a wave slightly west of the real wave hardly anyone surfs it. That boat is in the channe looking at the left out of picture. Would have been 8 that one but most were 4-6 this morning.

SP - did not hit the board just wrong place at the wrong time. Low tide and heaving I should have stayed on the beach. All season I refused to surf it on the dead low tide. But it looked so perfect at sunrise I had to go. Regretted that decision ever since ! Hate riding my back up board. New one coming shortly.

Dialling in a barrel is so good. Surfing a joint regularly so you know it's sections and moods and feel comfortable is the ultimate. There are only really three waves where I have that comfortability. they are like coming home when I surf them. It looks like a wicked wave to dial in. What's the take off like?

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
23 Sep 2015 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Awaiting a report from the qld guys

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
23 Sep 2015 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Surfed Kirra with Chrispy this morning then inside Greeny point this afternoon.

Kirra produced a couple of nice rides all the way to the beach as well as a couple of other good ones. Low numbers in the water which is always nice.
LM - started there but total noob city and too many close calls with near major board damage, so I moved around the corner and surfed with only around 50 others but more behaved. caught a couple that required walk arounds so all is well in the world.

Prez spent the day as a builders bitch so if you're ever looking for a lackey Lacey Asea's ya man.

Same again tomorrow before hitting the road.

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
23 Sep 2015 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Just a lazy 50?

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
23 Sep 2015 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..
Just a lazy 50?