Where did you surf today?

Created by Simondo > 9 months ago, 23 Mar 2013
thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
26 Oct 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said...
3 foot. Longboard again. Got hated by a local in the car park - "Your not bringing the cargo ship out here" - and promptly ignored him with a smile and "You know that's all I'm surfing out there."

Still a few solid ones about which is really surprising as the swell is 1.2metres and falling. I caught two waves in the session that were around double overhead and a few more went through unridden

I forgot to mention I pulled off my first cheater five yesterday. YEWWWWW! Ten here I come...

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
26 Oct 2015 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..
thedrip said...
3 foot. Longboard again. Got hated by a local in the car park - "Your not bringing the cargo ship out here" - and promptly ignored him with a smile and "You know that's all I'm surfing out there."

Still a few solid ones about which is really surprising as the swell is 1.2metres and falling. I caught two waves in the session that were around double overhead and a few more went through unridden

I forgot to mention I pulled off my first cheater five yesterday. YEWWWWW! Ten here I come...

Yew! Bring in the 10!!!
I'd love to meet someone who suggested what I shouldn't ride somewhere.

MickPC
8266 posts
27 Oct 2015 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Had some fun clean little waves the last couple of days, next couple looks pretty much the same. Took the 666 down today coz it can also be used to wind surf. A mate was going to teach me, but there was no wind. So ended up having a bit of fun on the 666 instead...actually looking forward to getting a little wind for a change. I've always wanted to learn wind surfing

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
28 Oct 2015 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

About to wax up the new stick and head out at Manly for a few. Never surf here but a few waves coming through so no real excuses.

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
28 Oct 2015 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

My regular haunt is onshore today so I went and got a few waves at another beach. The banks are not very good at the moment but still got a few.

Macaha
QLD, 21885 posts
28 Oct 2015 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Not nationals

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
28 Oct 2015 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
About to wax up the new stick and head out at Manly for a few. Never surf here but a few waves coming through so no real excuses.

And how did you go?

MickPC
8266 posts
28 Oct 2015 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hope it picks up for ya Mac...

Took the 666 in some small clean waves, swells dropped a little more from yesterday. But at least there were only 3 of us.

Then a 12 kn WSW kicked in & I swapped the paddle for a sail. My 666 has got a thingo for a sail. Mate gave me some pointers on pulling the sail up & getting the board facing the direction you want & how to get going.

After finding a couple of good ways to hurt myself ie jamming my foot between the mast & board when dropping it & cracking myself in the arm with the mast. I eventually got moving out & then drifted back in while trying to work out how to sail in...got it in the end & was pretty stoked coz my mate reckoned I'd just be learning how to lift the sail out of the water today...I'm hooked now, something to do on small onshore days...stoked

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
28 Oct 2015 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..

Ted the Kiwi said..

And how did you go?

Well I have to be honest. I just could not force myself to paddle out. There was a load of people scattered down the beach and probably about 35-40 of them on the peak that I thought looked ok. I watched it for about 25 mins and saw one decent wave come through with 5 or 6 people dropping in. The standard in the water was poor and it looked like an accident waiting to happen. There is just no banks on the beaches down this end of the peninsular and decided I could wait a few more days. With limited time I flagged it. Back homeward bound in a few days. Getting a bit fussy these days.

Twimby
WA, 482 posts
28 Oct 2015 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..

Took the 666 in some small clean waves, swells dropped a little more from yesterday. But at least there were only 3 of us.

Then a 12 kn WSW kicked in & I swapped the paddle for a sail. My 666 has got a thingo for a sail. Mate gave me some pointers on pulling the sail up & getting the board facing the direction you want & how to get going.

After finding a couple of good ways to hurt myself ie jamming my foot between the mast & board when dropping it & cracking myself in the arm with the mast. I eventually got moving out & then drifted back in while trying to work out how to sail in...got it in the end & was pretty stoked coz my mate reckoned I'd just be learning how to lift the sail out of the water today...I'm hooked now, something to do on small onshore days...stoked

Before you use the 666 too much for sailing this is worth a read
If it is a screw in insert, be wary

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/General-Discussion/Chat/SUP-insert-broken-cant-remove-mast-base/

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
28 Oct 2015 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

thedrip said..

Ted the Kiwi said..

And how did you go?

Well I have to be honest. I just could not force myself to paddle out. There was a load of people scattered down the beach and probably about 35-40 of them on the peak that I thought looked ok. I watched it for about 25 mins and saw one decent wave come through with 5 or 6 people dropping in. The standard in the water was poor and it looked like an accident waiting to happen. There is just no banks on the beaches down this end of the peninsular and decided I could wait a few more days. With limited time I flagged it. Back homeward bound in a few days. Getting a bit fussy these days.

It was shoulder to head high here. So I went for a dawn SUP in the bay before work (about 4kms in glass for other 666ers hanging here). One minute in the car versus 25 minutes to small waves.

I feel ya, Ted.

Saturday and Sunday are looking much better.

MickPC
8266 posts
28 Oct 2015 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Twimby said..
MickPC said..

Before you use the 666 too much for sailing this is worth a read
If it is a screw in insert, be wary

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/General-Discussion/Chat/SUP-insert-broken-cant-remove-mast-base/

Thanks for the heads up mate, I think Mark said his old Starboard was ok. Dunno if that board was a new starboard or another brand though. My boards a 2015 starboard widepoint. Hopefully they build them right these days, but you got me googling for issues like that with them just in case. My friend has lots of proper wind surfing boards I can borrow, but the widepoint is perfect for learning on. Good thing is its under warranty till early Jan.

Macaha
QLD, 21885 posts
28 Oct 2015 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Your starting to sound like a whinging bitch @ted

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
29 Oct 2015 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Took the new toy for a spin today in pretty average waves. Got a couple good ones but hard too really judge the board after that session Paddles like a dream - more than enough volume - even with the wettie on. Seems to handle the few late drops I took and seemed to go pretty nice off the top. Need to concentrate to get that back foot all the way back. When it does though the board goes like a rocket from A to B. Looking forward to getting it going in some decent waves soon.

MickPC
8266 posts
29 Oct 2015 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Took the new toy for a spin today in pretty average waves. Got a couple good ones but hard too really judge the board after that session Paddles like a dream - more than enough volume - even with the wettie on. Seems to handle the few late drops I took and seemed to go pretty nice off the top. Need to concentrate to get that back foot all the way back. When it does though the board goes like a rocket from A to B. Looking forward to getting it going in some decent waves soon.

Sounds pretty cool. As long as she can handle a late drop & slot into Indo barrels your laughing mate

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
29 Oct 2015 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Some good waves here today but have to wait for my replacement phone to be delivered first because I have to sign for it. I'll be straight out there after that.

thePup
13831 posts
29 Oct 2015 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Go hard mate ..... cook some for me champion

MickPC
8266 posts
29 Oct 2015 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Some little cross shore devil wind action on the 666 today. Good to see the swells picking up

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
29 Oct 2015 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Got a few nice waves. Shoulder to head high. Dropping tide killed it a bit. Saw a huge school of salmon and some dolphins. No shark today. Boardies and rashie again.

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
29 Oct 2015 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

No waves today

Had a fun time last night for an hour on my own just out of Penguin . Beautiful day thought it was strange the beach was empty .Arrived home flicked on Facebook and this post came up . Whoops .

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
29 Oct 2015 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Woa TD. Sounds like you need a waterproof case for the phone if Facebook is the preferred mitigation option down your parts !

thePup
13831 posts
29 Oct 2015 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Geez good call Devilman fark that bloody things

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
30 Oct 2015 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

Yep made for an interesting discussion with the family . Missus not happy

They think this could be a big white pointer seen cruising up the east coast last week . Heaps of whales around the coast this week and they reckon the white pointers follow the whales hoping for a meal .Sharks are probably always out there , but everyone is a bit jumpy after a real nasty shark attack on the east coast few months back .

Anyway long weekend for me fellas , ( Monday is Recreation Day in northern tas ) easterly swell predicted , so hopefully the big fella has moved on .

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
30 Oct 2015 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Surfed what should have been great fun waves this morning. Nice swell, clean lines, light offshore. All ingredients were there except for a total lack of banks! Ahhh in the end I paddled out and dealt with the mega backwash sort of. It promised so much but delivered little. Dam it.

SP
10979 posts
30 Oct 2015 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

^^ Welcome back to NSW..

You can never return now, you have been spoilt by warm water and lined up reef breaks.

We actually had a really good run with banks during autumn / winter but as they are gone now... just in time for summer.

And i love their is a town called Cooee in Tassie.. Feet up and stay safe Tas.

thePup
13831 posts
30 Oct 2015 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Shame Teddy mate ...... my return this weekend so I'll grab a couple for ya champion

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
30 Oct 2015 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Got some great waves today. Was expecting it to be smaller but it had picked up out of the south and uncrowded. Nice warm water too. Lotsa good ones today and lotsa fun

MickPC
8266 posts
30 Oct 2015 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Didn't get great waves today. Was expecting it to be bigger...went for my 2nd wind surf. Went great one way & totally cr@p the other.....but also lots of fun

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
30 Oct 2015 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Got a call at 4.30 saying it was rubbish .....Got another call an hour later saying its cleaned up and fun....So enjoyed some waves the crew

\got a board to the head yesterday at the alley in knee high waves by some idiot chick on a longboard

Macaha
QLD, 21885 posts
30 Oct 2015 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Noosa pff it never breaks

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Where did you surf today?" started by Simondo