Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
2 Jul 2013 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that
I guess I should get out of bed and get salty then.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
2 Jul 2013 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said..
Thanks for thatI guess I should get out of bed and get salty then.

Get into it!!

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
2 Jul 2013 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Breakfast and coffee first.
It's a long slow drive from Freo this time of the day ;)

Actually, all those surfs I had in the past week, I wasn't even getting in the water till somewhere around midday.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just actually saw the time! I slept in! hahahah I should get going now I suppose

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
2 Jul 2013 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Well I just spent the last few hours getting my arse handed to me.

When I got there I saw quite a few near perfect tubes rolling through south of Trigg. Absolutely spectacular and very much unexpected and very few people (like Zuke said) out there. It got consistently worse though, but by Perth standards was still cranking when I called it quits after one too many cold water cramps and over the falls excursions.

I am really surprised by the quality of some of the waves lately, coupled with incredible winter weather. For once, it's good to be a surfer in Perth

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
2 Jul 2013 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Also got smashed. Place with no backwash and surprisingly bigger than it should be given the size of other places.

New board picked up today, much more appropriate for waves like today (but picked up postsurf).

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
2 Jul 2013 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Legion said..
Also got smashed. Place with no backwash and surprisingly bigger than it should be given the size of other places.

New board picked up today, much more appropriate for waves like today (but picked up postsurf).

Any pics?

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
2 Jul 2013 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Surely you already know where to find them ...

Torch
WA, 521 posts
2 Jul 2013 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Caught some rippers at offshore location on Friday and Saturday, didnt go in on Sunday, then some nice beachies on Monday and Tuesday, was this the best swell of winter for WA??

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
2 Jul 2013 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon there are still some real good days to come

If I can get my camera housing(s) sorted ASAP that would be real handy.

sparki
WA, 410 posts
2 Jul 2013 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said..

I reckon there are still some real good days to come

If I can get my camera housing(s) sorted ASAP that would be real handy.

If you do get it sorted out, let me know. Can definitely help you out if you need a subject to shoot.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
2 Jul 2013 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Are you as good a surfer as jokersace seems to think he is?

I have an awesome housing sitting here, brand new, without a camera for it. I also have a awesome camera, sitting here, without a housing to match. First world problems I know.

sparki
WA, 410 posts
2 Jul 2013 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said..

Are you as good a surfer as jokersace seems to think he is?

I have an awesome housing sitting here, brand new, without a camera for it. I also have a awesome camera, sitting here, without a housing to match. First world problems I know.

Is your idea of a good surfer a guy that has surfed Waimea Bay and triple overhead Sunset and lived to tell the tale?

haha, go take your first world problems to twitter. join the other millions of #firstworldproblemers that have food in front of them.

But once you've resolved your first world problems, I may just be keen to be on the lense end of a shooting.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
2 Jul 2013 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

If I can survive the tea-rooms I can survive Wiamea

Anyhoo, if/when I get my kit sorted, if you're keen, then yeah, why not? It's always better to be filming a particular subject who is a willing participant than it is to just swim into the lineup with a camera not knowing who the chargers are.

sparki
WA, 410 posts
2 Jul 2013 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said..

If I can survive the tea-rooms I can survive Wiamea

Anyhoo, if/when I get my kit sorted, if you're keen, then yeah, why not? It's always better to be filming a particular subject who is a willing participant than it is to just swim into the lineup with a camera not knowing who the chargers are.

True that! Especially when it's churning over bulk seaweed.

Why not indeed! Exactly, you'll have someone that actually wants to spray some at your lense and give you decent footage rather than someone who's doing it just coz they wanna have fun on the section.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
3 Jul 2013 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Drove around a lot today desperately seeking a wave. I stayed dry.

I did fall in love with this raptor at Cott for a few minutes on the way home. Lame, with the film burn and music, I know...but I needed to kill some time this arvo.

.be

WA, 1255 posts
4 Jul 2013 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

stretched the groin this morning.. oooh maybe a bit much

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
4 Jul 2013 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

I suspect many assumed onshore this morning, it was even raining as I was suiting up, low crowd levels.

Nice short period swell which always suits the metro beachies better than long period. However it really was just a tad small, not quite doing it. Swell supposedly picking up so maybe better later before the wind turns.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
4 Jul 2013 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I'm going to go drive around and look later.
Tomorrow morning is looking good but temps will be very frosty.

Won't be seeing me out there in boardies tomorrow that's for sure.

EDIT: Actually that reminds me....my taliwagon hates cold starts...might need to use the girl's hair dryer on the fuel filter in the morning to get it going! hahaha

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
4 Jul 2013 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Legion said..
Surely you already know where to find them ...

Just looked at his site, cant see anything new. Any hints??

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
4 Jul 2013 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Deano said...
Went the mid morning session. Arrive to it frothing. No really frothy lines of white water. I threw on my cut of jeans and headed out on my trusty foamy. Managed to position myself right where the peaks were breaking, in the way of all the kooks out the back. Got some awesome waste high foam, prone all the way to the beach. Caught this one foam wall that was chest high and tried to stand up. Got a fin up the bum for my trouble. I hope someone saw that. Put the foamy back on the Commodore nose first fins down. Cruised home along bogan drive. Stopped for some KFC. Got Home to find my pregnant teenage girl friend having a smoke looking her ugliest. What to do next. I've got a week off. Arh what the hell, I'll go to Bali and drink Bingtang or read the repair manual for the commodore.

Haha, very good, but can anyone explain the 'nose first, fins down' reference?

I don't have a ute but this is how I transport my board in the wagon. Am I missing something?

mocha1
WA, 933 posts
4 Jul 2013 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

You c them on top of cars nose first fins down wax to the sun

The "cool" way is deck down fins up at the front to help ya occuy straps or leggie secure the board to ya racks

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
4 Jul 2013 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Plus the aerodynamic benefits

Buster fin
WA, 2575 posts
4 Jul 2013 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

That would require a wind tunnel to tune the distance profile for optimum dynamic flow at various speeds for the specific vehicle.

Good luck

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
4 Jul 2013 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately my knowledge of aerodynamics extends to the minimum amount required to pilot a C172

...and chimps could fly those things.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
5 Jul 2013 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking section at the southern end of second car park... a touch over head in the sets, but packed with kids on lids... have not had to call so many waves in I don't know how long. Typical Trigg with 7-8 guys paddling for a wave... Sooo many drop-ins going on. Poor form indeed.

Some nice looking waves, but they were relatively short walls and did not have much power - still some nice take-offs.

Swell dropped a lot around 11:00am and the crew were left sitting there waiting for the now (up to) shoulder high sets...

I left at 12:00 and it had become very inconsistent and only about chest high... nice waves for a mal.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
5 Jul 2013 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Went and had a look around when you would have been getting out.
Needless to say, I stayed dry.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
5 Jul 2013 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..

Nice looking section at the southern end of second car park... a touch over head in the sets, but packed with kids on lids... have not had to call so many waves in I don't know how long. Typical Trigg with 7-8 guys paddling for a wave... Sooo many drop-ins going on. Poor form indeed.

Some nice looking waves, but they were relatively short walls and did not have much power - still some nice take-offs.

Swell dropped a lot around 11:00am and the crew were left sitting there waiting for the now (up to) shoulder high sets...

I left at 12:00 and it had become very inconsistent and only about chest high... nice waves for a mal.

Im up for my Sat morning ritual GPA. Have you checked it out today I think i may actually dig out my Webs to help keep the hands a little warmer

agnak
311 posts
5 Jul 2013 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zuke said..

Still plenty of waves around this morning; clean, offshore and still a bit of size in the sets. Not many takers, everyone must be all surfed out with this unusually long run of good days [snip].

Must be Zuke, Yep unusual allright.

Torch
WA, 521 posts
5 Jul 2013 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

did he make it?

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
5 Jul 2013 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

I can't pick that, doesn't happen very often. Got a couple of ideas but none of them make sense.
Unless it's one of "those" pics of a death slab close out taken at just the right time. Kinda looks like Blueholes at a size where you should be nowhere near the joint.
If so then I daresay that, no he didn't make it.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie