Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
Buster fin
WA, 2575 posts
5 Jul 2013 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Geez Zuke, that is all-time. Why didn't you call?

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
5 Jul 2013 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..

Nice looking section at the southern end of second car park... a touch over head in the sets

A touch over head?

Hmm was barely head/shoulder yesterday and the swell has been dropping since.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
6 Jul 2013 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Had some good shape but was only around my ankles Cold and managed to get my ugg boots wet

agnak
311 posts
6 Jul 2013 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Torch said..

did he make it?

Yeah....he pulled in twice on that one.

moohan
WA, 147 posts
6 Jul 2013 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smicko said..
I can't pick that, doesn't happen very often. Got a couple of ideas but none of them make sense.

Unless it's one of "those" pics of a death slab close out taken at just the right time. Kinda looks like Blueholes at a size where you should be nowhere near the joint.

If so then I daresay that, no he didn't make it.

In boardies. Maybe a well known left further north on low tide?

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
6 Jul 2013 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I thought of that but it looks too close in. Must just be the perspective of the pic or going cross eyed from that second bottle of wine last night.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
8 Jul 2013 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

All I can report is that the water is freezing today.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
8 Jul 2013 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Most people are going with this new-fangled technology these days. It's called "wetsuits", I think.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
8 Jul 2013 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Legion said..
Most people are going with this new-fangled technology these days. It's called "wetsuits", I think.

Ive heard lard is good as well

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
8 Jul 2013 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

I used my wettie today ;)
Was freediving today, not surfing (obviously, no waves). Still sapped all my energy.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
8 Jul 2013 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said..
I used my wettie today ;)

Was freediving today, not surfing (obviously, no waves). Still sapped all my energy.

Anything good at the bottom of the ocean Suba? Where did you go?

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
8 Jul 2013 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

I just swam out from in front of Yelo. Found an awful amount of tennis balls, dog toys etc in the reef ;)
Water was nice and vis was good; but same old marine life you can expect to see anywhere along that stretch. Couldn't find any rays or port jacksons which was disappointing. All very much unplanned, just wanted to make the most of the sunny day before the weather comes in.

Now, to finalise my camera housing and go back and film it all in glorious HD

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Jul 2013 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said..

Haha i surfed on the weekend with my webs. Kept my hands warm and my arms got a much better work out..The water was okay, the wind sucked arse

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
8 Jul 2013 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..
subasurf said..

Haha i surfed on the weekend with my webs. Kept my hands warm and my arms got a much better work out..The water was okay, the wind sucked arse

Webs? Im guessing gloves with webbing, I havnt seen them for ages (over 15 years )

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
10 Jul 2013 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone get out today? Do we have straight banks?

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
10 Jul 2013 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

After the morning spent in the lab I got out for the arvo at one of the northern beach spots.
Absolutely cranking. Spent 2 hours filming and shooting photos. Will post up tonight.

Souwester
WA, 1259 posts
10 Jul 2013 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Went for a metro wave this morning, some nice ones if you waited and picked the ones that were not death slabs onto the sand! Typical of the area really, still better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick and a nice way to start the day.

Had a first that made me laugh (actually laughed). Was enjoying watching the carnage about to unfold as 4 were hell bent on getting a set wave and not really communicating twhen old mate jumps in front, calls everyone off and went

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
10 Jul 2013 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Surfed just North of me, a bit of a climb down from the hill and it was great. Problem was it was a mate and i and 47 others

Moved around back and forth and i found that for three hours i was either in the way, someone was in my way, there was guys deeper than me or you just plan got dropping in on I took a few picks on my I phone i will try and post them up.

They were from about 600 plus meters away on a i phone with a telle lens. Sorry only after taking a few i realised you could focus it
STopped at a break south of said spot and it was cranking also. Not so bad on the with only 38 counted

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
10 Jul 2013 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Still sorting through everything (a lot of footage), but here's a quick teaser.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
10 Jul 2013 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Contact sheets are corny I know, but I wanted to show the sequence.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
10 Jul 2013 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

^^ WOW!!

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
10 Jul 2013 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

I'll stop spamming now

Buster fin
WA, 2575 posts
10 Jul 2013 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

I did a fair drive of the coast after work and wasn't enthused about what I saw.
No need to wash the wettie...

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
10 Jul 2013 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

What's the story with the girl on the rocks, jb? Looks a bit risky.

Absolutely no banks at my local. Fingers crossed for next week. Hoax of a winter so far for metro beaches.

Ended up at a place I haven't surfed for 10 years, then before that another 15 years, then before that every day for about 10 years. Maths not right but you get the picture. There was a sup, and we were amiable enough. He was a greedy pig, but so am I, so the poor rest of the crowd starved.

Later a bunch of kooks turned up, including a full blown hipster complete with beard. I'm sure Ned Kelly beards were cool when no-one else in the world had them but they're done now.

On about my fourth last wave it was quite nice but every kook scrambled for the shoulder and as a result I couldn't do anything on the couple of decent sections. Such basic manners, taking a hit ...

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
10 Jul 2013 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

She had been surfing the main break but then got out and i think was waiting for her boyfriend who was out at the slightly Norther peak. She was sitting there getting dumped and i thought id get her getting cleaned up

At my second wave the poor guy on a SUP couldn't actually get out through the shorey and ended up just sitting on the beach.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
11 Jul 2013 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Not a good place to be. You could've been her knight in shining armour and scooped her up and rescued her.

Scuba, no banks there by the look of it. No-one surfing? There were near there the other day but there weren't really any banks, just dodging closeouts.

Actually, you said "northern beach". Your contact sheet sequence made me think of somewhere else ... I was 99% sure.

Souwester
WA, 1259 posts
11 Jul 2013 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Fun beachies this morning, putting on the wet wetty was the hardest part of the session!

A bit more shape this morning and less crowds then where I was yesterday. Managed a few long rides that walled up a few times through a rip section. Saw lightning hit the water a fair distance out the back, storm threatened then moved South without hitting land.

Love winter YEOW!

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
11 Jul 2013 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

I meant northern beaches, not north beach. Anything from CB onwards is a northern beach in my SOR eyes. I was purposely trying to be very vague with where it was, despite the fact I think the position of the camera (and my lack of a camera housing at the moment) blatantly gives the location away. I was being vague to lower the reasons for all the haters to red thumb the **** out of me for giving away 'secret spots' that happen to be on webcam....

As for banks, well right off the groyne it was cranking and there were plenty of surfers out there. I have a heap of video of them but for the photos I only wanted empty waves so I framed it that way. There were decent waves breaking all over the place, but naturally everyone stuck to the groyne to get some very decent right handers (by Perth standards of course). My action shots of the surfers are terrible but I'm sure everyone gets the picture anyway.

EDIT:
Here's a still from one of the clips. This guy was killing it.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
11 Jul 2013 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Oh, OK. Then it's exactly where I thought it was. Sometimes there are fun banks between there and the next carpark in the background of your shots, and never any people. Good exercise accessing them though. I walk the dog there in summer. I thought I'd seen you going to meet friends in the sand dunes.

Funny story, surfing there occasionally and they seem to employ casual uni student age kids to man the beach closures. Gotta be the worst job in the world with all the action going on. Poor guys.

I hate the beach for that crap, but love it for it's isolation.

Shame there are only waves/banks 0.001 days/year.

Northern beaches to my SOR eyes mean "north of Pt Awesome", uncharted waters for me for all intents and purposes.

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
11 Jul 2013 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Ahhh Ballsack Backbeach, bad memories of getting chased up the track by seedy old bastards with their wangers in hand.

Lefthand bank that used to form off the drain, complete with rusted steel spikes that used to suck up into the face, made running the gauntlet of old ****s through the dunes worthwhile.

Chity used to barrel past the dunnys before the foreshore reclamation and the demise of proper NW storm systems.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie