Forums > Windsurfing General

ISAF Selects Kiteboarding For Rio 2016

Created by jusavina > 9 months ago, 5 May 2012
cammd
QLD, 3761 posts
19 Jun 2012 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Check the results from the FW Australia event at Hawks Nest in Jan. Luke Baille our best mens RSX sailor (who should be going to the Olympics but isnt because YA dont see fit to send a rep even though the country is qualified) any way he stepped onto a formula for the first time after the RSX nationals using a borrowed board and his RSX rig (nearly a ten year old design) and came third I think out of the Australians competing.

Theres a strong case there to show that ability, tactics & skills are a lot more important than gear. As for juniors getting into the sport windsurfing has the second biggest youth fleet in the world with the techno 293, estimates are 7000-8000 worldwide and it is one of the two sailing classes selected for the youth olympics. Makes you wonder what ISAF were thinking when you look at the big picture.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
19 Jun 2012 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

cammd said...

Makes you wonder what ISAF were thinking when you look at the big picture.

Based on that CNN video they were probably thinking about the friendly kitesurfing girl and whats for lunch.

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
19 Jun 2012 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

sail melb was only once put on the events calender

Jungo
WA, 7 posts
20 Jun 2012 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

I have windsurfed for nearly 30 years. I do not kite.

To "me" the windsurfing in the olympics is irrelevant. I have no objections to kites being in it instead, as the rsx is only of interest to 1-2 % of the windsurfing world.
I do feel the loss for those striving for the olympic dream and the many people that were involved that now have no alternatives, and the feeder classes like the bic techno crowd that hopefully will stay relevant to those that do like this dicipline.
I hope the guys that like the rsx can keep the manufactures intersted as they seem to have a good fleet when they do race. And while I will never do it, i respect the talents of those that do - the top guys are true althetes and the weekenders are probably better long board sailors than I am anyway.

The loss of windsurfing from the olympics will not affect the image, promotion of, or future attraction of participants to the sport of windsurfing. Let's face it the wave guys are not going to take up rsx, the gps crowd are too focused on speed, the formula guys like what they do and while the grooveriders keep doing the back and forth, there is very little cross over of sailors doing one or more discilines seriously,and not many that will take up rsx any more than have done so already.
The sport has many faces and not everyone is attracted to the same thing and that's fine.

Windsurfing was the "it" sport in the 80's and at its peak for sponsors and tv coverage in the early 90's. But that ship has sailed and isn't coming back, but I take objections to those that think windsurfing was best back then. Windsurfing has never been better than today. The gear is cheaper, plentiful and brilliant to use. The ease with which we can have fun and the windrange of one set of gear is excellent compared to the "Glory" days.
We have to take any coverage we can get now-a-days but the olympics isn't going to change our image whether we are in it or not.

I hate kitesurfers as a group (not the people as such personally) because of the attitude of many and the damage (read beach restrictions now placed on all users) to the spots I have sailed for years and years, as a result of kiters' actions.

But if they are in the olympics then good on them. I think that kite racing looks just as good as windsurfing slalom racing and course racing and will improve.

The world champ in the CNN piece was all very diplomatic and one of the most well rounded of the kiters to be interviewed I have seen so far. The interviewer even seemed to know what she was talking about for a change and made a good piece for the kite side of the arguement. Nevermind the old biddies club the Isaf is! Tea and scones anyone?, perhaps a sherry later?

BUT, I see many problems as it is, that has already been discussed such as cost (3 expensive fins per board, then sets for different boards/conditions currently) , water access, and wind limits.
It could and will improve but will need all the restrictions that windsurfing had on it for it to be an inexpesive option for the "developing countries" to be equal in as stated elsewhere. For the cool image they want they should have chosen the freestlye side like the snowboard x-cross and half pipe that gets all the snow "buzz".

The BIG travesty I believe is the submission to the IOC/ISAf submitted by the Kiters as it so full of holes it should smell like swiss cheese if not BS.

For a start the "developing countries have kiters on nearly every beach" statement is bull**it. It should read -The developing countries have many foriegn cashed up "generaly white" kite tourists visit a few popular beaches.
Every photo used in the submission was of a world cup event of shipped in competitors on deserted beaches for a contest - of which 10 kites in the air make it look like hundreds, as we know from Mr and Mrs general publics usual comments at your local. How many locals can one expect in Namibia?

The growth of the sport into the future is well inflated, as those in the industry already suggest a plateau has been reached. Kiting is easier for travel, but can be just as expensive as windsurfing with the constant refinement and development. I just don't know how many Namibians, etc can afford to kite.

The colour of the kites was a factor for TV, but it is possible to make all the sailing classes tv friendly with a bit of thinking, a jet ski and a few cameras. I don't sail but the skiffs look good on tv. I remember watching the Americas' cup on TV in the 80s when camera technology sucked and it was good.
The last rsx race photos I saw looked colourful to me with 50 odd yellow sails on the start line.

The basic premise for the submission was baloney and could have had windsurfing substituted for kitesurfing and it would have made the same amount of sense. The basis of their arguement is the bit that provokes the WTF questions.
I recommend everyone read the submission if they can be bothered.

Personaly I am not sure what all the fuss is about except for those actually involved in rsx. I say good luck to the kiters as they find out how hard it is to get everything together to make a success of a "sailing" race class.

Chris 249
NSW, 3334 posts
20 Jun 2012 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Jungo's right - the quality of the kite submission was shocking. For example, the number of watchers they claimed for the Sylt World Cup event was 35,000 higher than the number that the PR for the event claimed. And even the inflated estimate was 95,000 lower than the claimed number of live spectators for the Windsurfing World Cup at the same place. Mind you, having been at Sylt for a World Cup round in the peak year of windsurfing popularity, I think all the estimates were a complete load of bollox.

While I don't criticise ISAF as much as others (the IWA has issues itself, and as one of those who has run a minute part of the sport I have sympathy for those who try to run the whole sport) it is disturbing that people, including some who are very smart and knowledgeable, can allow a submission like that to go through to the keeper.

BS like that, not kites, is the enemy.

Chris 249
NSW, 3334 posts
20 Jun 2012 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Jungo said... I take objections to those that think windsurfing was best back then. Windsurfing has never been better than today. The gear is cheaper, plentiful and brilliant to use. The ease with which we can have fun and the windrange of one set of gear is excellent compared to the "Glory" days.

Slightly off topic, but with respect I think you may be coming from a very WA perspective there. On the east coast, and most places in the world, an old style piece of gear may have had a wider wind range than modern gear. The wind range of old gear was often 2-22 knots or so or more, and it could handle the big lulls of the lakes, inlets and rivers that are most people's closest sailing waters.

To have fun today on modern gear in Sydney, for example, can mean having free time on the few afternoons when it's breezy, and then driving through heavy traffic a lot of the time (Saturday traffic is often worth then weekday peak) for an hour or so, then going for a sail for one hour before packing up and driving home and not sailing for a week or two because of the time involved. That's not easy for those who have busy lives with other things scheduled in.

To bring it back on topic - if the sport didn't have such a (IMHO) Narrow view of what it could be about, we'd be so much stronger than we would not have lost our Olympic spot. But we staked it all on being faster/more extreme/better in planing winds on open water, so as soon as kiting came along and did better in those limited areas we were in trouble.

Windsurfing has a range of disciplines/areas/activities/winds that kiting will never be able to match, but we threw that away for a narrow range of the sport that is only popular in windy places like WA, and that narrow focus cost us the Games IMHO

Chris 249
NSW, 3334 posts
20 Jun 2012 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

MatStirl said...

I've windsurfed for 20 years but reckon we couldn't have done a better killing our sport if we tried - especially the racing side of things with that formula rubbish.

Like some countries I thought we'd all embrace the idea of racing a fast one design course board like the rsx with the ultimate aim of competing at the olympics. Instead Australians kept using the dying formula concept where the person with the most cash and latest gear often wins, events get called off if there's not enough wind and beginners can't have a go because the gears too extreme.

We even managed to stuff up the disciplines Olympic name - RSX! What's wrong with the name 'windsurfing' or even 'sailboarding!'. The public don't know what rsx means, may as well call kiting 'naish' or the 100m sprint 'nike'.

Too many manufacturers, too much variety of gear. Not that i'm into it i just hope kiting learns from our mistakes.

Mat

I tend to agree that we really stuffed up our own sport, but we were never going to all embrace RSX. All sports in which equipment is so important and so costly seem to have a pretty wide range of disciplines, to allow people to choose what fits their circumstances and tastes. FWIW I think one issue with windsurfing is that it often tries to push monolithic models; I saw something recently saying "slalom was back" as if every sailor was going to go out and get into slalom for 2012 like 11 year old girls getting into the new Directior Biever album. Other sports, like sailing and cycling, seem to be much more comfortable with separate racing disciplines, from downhill MTB to road time trial to track. And you never get one major supplier trying to get everyone who is into one area to scrap all their gear and take up this year's fashionable discipline, as you sometimes do in windsurfing.

FW gear is fantastic for what it does and it attracts a great fleet; IMHO we just needed the industry to be open to more alternatives.

Te Hau
480 posts
21 Jun 2012 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Not too many sailors involved in that voting debacle.
The message is very clear.....Kids, don't bother pouring half a lifetimes effort into a sporting event controlled by such a corrupt governing body.

BenKirk
NSW, 600 posts
21 Jun 2012 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Good spot Brett. 1 female, 4 males. What a load of BS!

AUS691
QLD, 123 posts
21 Jun 2012 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

BenKirk said...

Good spot Brett. 1 female, 4 males. What a load of BS!

The way they've just featured it on Facebook you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a significant event.

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
23 Jun 2012 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Any reply from Australian Yachting why they voted kite boarding?
also they sent some reps to the kite boarding nationals i would like to see the reports.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"ISAF Selects Kiteboarding For Rio 2016" started by jusavina