QLD, 1239 posts
1 Mar 2014 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Good to see they finally ripping it up on their new speed gear

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
1 Mar 2014 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

I hope you posted that just before you left for Cocky's Ray???

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
3 Mar 2014 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Just for something a bit different, for those who think Lake George is about testosterone charged, macho men, chasing supersonic speeds in nuclear winds, think again.
Dot and Ann had a perfect Goldilocks day today. Not too hot not too cold not too strong not too weak, nice sunny day, beautiful flat water, swans flying over head.

Dot says this is the most enjoyable sail she's had since Exmouth and Coros 10 years ago

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
3 Mar 2014 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Great photo Mike

I can remember those ducks on the wall during the 60's

As Herb says, Living the Dream

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
3 Mar 2014 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said...
Just for something a bit different, for those who think Lake George is about testosterone charged, macho men, chasing supersonic speeds in nuclear winds, think again.
Dot and Ann had a perfect Goldilocks day today. Not too hot not too cold not too strong not too weak, nice sunny day, beautiful flat water, swans flying over head.

Dot says this is the most enjoyable sail she's had since Exmouth and Coros 10 years ago

Yeah LG is a great spot for beginner and improving sailors. I so miss it. The wet, humid and windless weather in Sydney, basically the antithesis of Beachport weather, makes it easy to miss it down there.

Outside its drizzling rain, rain forecast for at least the next week.

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
3 Mar 2014 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Lovin' ya work Mike!!! LG is many different things to many different people. I think lucky for us when we were there we got to experience many different aspects. Light wind, strongish wind, different water states and different locations. Still beats the crap out of Sydney at the moment and probably for quite awhile. Bugger!!!!!!!
Best of all, GO DOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
3 Mar 2014 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

They are large birds Mike, but they are not Swans. They are 'Mountain Ducks', also known as Australian Shelduck. (Tadorna tadornoides)

Not the most favoured Game Bird for the table as they tend to be slightly tougher and 'gamier' tasting than the smaller ducks, but if prepared and cooked properly they can still be very good eating. You will need heavy loads of larger #3 or #2 shot the bring them down well. I usually let them pass and focus on Teal, Shovellers, Hardhead and Black Duck, but if flights of those are scarce, 'Mounties' will do.

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
4 Mar 2014 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

No wonder we were getting shot at, I thought they were swans and we would be safe.

Wineman
NSW, 1412 posts
4 Mar 2014 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

I usually let them pass and focus on Teal, Shovellers, Hardhead and Black Duck, but if flights of those are scarce, 'Mounties' will do.

What? No Murrimbidgee Mud Duck?

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
4 Mar 2014 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

I've just processed some of the pics Dot took on big Saturday.

this is what happens when you leave rig lying in shallows.

Choco

Me

Jimbob

Sean

Sammy

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
6 Mar 2014 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic distance day yesterday (wednesday 5th march) Mal called it at the beginning of the week, pity he wasn't here to join us.

When I arrived about 0815 it was blowing 12-15, slowly picked up thru the day. peaked just after 1600 about 16-22, then faded back to 12-15 around sunset. Water wasn't dead flat, but very small chop over most of the course, nice easy sailing for most of the day. I had a few gusts that were a bit much to handle after 200+ks with a my biggest sail the 6.6 koncept.

I think a real dedicated distance sailor, starting at dawn and going to sunset, could have done 500+

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
6 Mar 2014 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Your a machine Mike, respect!!

AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
9 Mar 2014 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

I have been frothing waiting for my turn, but there aint much of March left. I notice that WindGuru is forecasting some nice wind on Sat and Sunday next week, from NW then SW. I am assuming that as the lake is a big wide open expanse of water (from what I can see from the videos anyway), that direction really doesn't matter......am I right? Any direction with strong wind is good, or do you need a specific direction to sail in the parts of the lake with flat water?

Thanks for any input. I am keen to do the 20hr drive and sail this place. Looking to come for 2 weeks

sailquik
VIC, 6090 posts
9 Mar 2014 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

I have only sailed the Lake on the South East sea breeze type winds. They are the most favored, being very steady and consistent.

In theory, you should be able to sail on all wind directions when the water level is good, but, from reports I have heard those other winds can be very gusty in comparison. This would be caused by the wind coming over the coastal sand dunes or inland with the turbulence that induces. Depending on the wind type and direction, it could still be quite OK though.

AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
9 Mar 2014 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks SailQuick. I will try and be more patient and wait for a SE pattern...........traveling 20hours, I want it at its best. If I miss it this season there is always Maui in winter and try again in 2015

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
12 Mar 2014 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Spent a pleasant last afternoon out at the Lake, just talking with Phil & Marion, for once the unforecast 1600 and 1800 surge didn't happen. The wind stuck to the forecasted 8 - 10kts, how perverse can you get?

Any way it's a fond farewell to Beachport tomorrow, although there's wind forecast for the weekend and next week, it doesn't look all that inviting.

Again BIG thanks to Jamie for all his help and friendship, this place wouldn't be what it is without you mate!

Also am I allowed to mention how good the Southern Ocean Tourist Park is? Phil and Kristen really looked after us, if you're staying in Beachport, cabins, tents or caravans, this is the place to be!

S018
SA, 338 posts
12 Mar 2014 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Travel Safe
hope it was worth the drive
didn't get down to see you this time ..
maybe next time !

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
13 Mar 2014 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Great to see you and Dot there this year Mike. I hope it becomes a yearly occurrence. Enjoy your drive back to WA

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
13 Mar 2014 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Andrew, but next year I may be tempted to give Albany a bit more of a work out, it's not as consistent and only works well in an easterly, but when it's good, PBs are just as likely.

S018, yep well worth the drive! sailed 20 days out of our 4 weeks there, did 1400kms and got 2.5 PBs. Hr, distance and a doppler alpha, it's only half a PB because my old trackpoint PB from the GT11 days although .5 knot better on paper, probably wouldn't have been faster using a GT31 and doppler.

Was great meeting new faces and catching up with old friends.

kato
VIC, 3398 posts
13 Mar 2014 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry I couldn't get there this year...see ya all back there next year

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
31 Mar 2014 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

OK, the 2014 Lake George Speed Sessions event window has come to a close now. I trust everyone who made the effort to get there had a great time, enhanced their skills and came away with some improved numbers.

Whilst the sailing was good, the wind didn't really deliver this year as it has in past years and the water level stayed a little higher too, but there was still some speed to be had.

Thank you to everyone for supporting the local economy of Beachport and enjoying this great coastal SA town.

Results time now:

Can I please ask each person that windsurfed on Lake George between January 1 and March 31 that wants to be accounted for in the results tally and in the running for some raffled prizes to email me their best results in each of the six categories (2sec, 5x10sec, 1hr, alpha 500, NM and distance). DO NOT email me the track files or links to GPSTC. Just email me your name and best numbers and these will be tallied.

All results must be in to me by Friday April 4th. Results will be posted by Friday April 11th.

Please mail your results to chris at dimond dot com dot au (note the spelling!)

Thanks again for enjoying Lake George and supporting the great town of Beachport!

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
31 Mar 2014 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

what we are having an event now when there was no event, I just don't get it Chris.

stringer
WA, 703 posts
1 Apr 2014 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Aus06 said..

chris at dimond dot com dot au (note the spelling!)

not to be confused with Chris Diamond

decrepit
WA, 12093 posts
1 Apr 2014 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

OK so why the read thumbs for Jimbob?!

I guess the redthumbers haven't sailed Lake George, and seen all the work Jimbob does to make visitors lives easy there.

For the local who regularly gives up his preferred ocean sailing, to keep visitors company. And who last year did all the work updating the pubs scoreboard, to learn on this forum that there has been something happening he has no knowledge of, would be a bit of a surprise to say the least.

No matter your view point you must admit announcing an event after it's finished, is a unique approach.

My guess is it's something to do with bypassing all the hassle of insurance and official bureaucracy. I know of at least one prize left over from last year, so this may be a strategy to distribute them.

Might be time for an explanation Chris?

REDhat
37 posts
1 Apr 2014 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Its not Chris. DONT E-MAIL. May be some sort of scam.

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
2 Apr 2014 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

I'm just following on from the same format we had last year. The pub put up some great prizes last year and have agreed to do the same this year. There is also one prize from last year that is back in the prize draw for this year (thanks Decrepit).

Most of the prizes will be raffled to reward participation, but we will put a prize to the highest speed achieved.

Jimbob was also one of the organisers last year and is aware of this format, despite his last post on this forum.

If you want to be considered for a prize and have your results recorded, email me your numbers. If you don't want to be in the running for a prize and you don't want your results recorded then don't email me.

This is not announcing an event after it has finished (thanks again Decrepit). If we run this as an event, then we need to have a boat on the lake each time you sail for your safety. If you have been the to lake, you will know how impossible that is. It is also a 3 month event window so that you can time your visit(s) with the best conditions. We would also need to charge an entry fee, and you would need to be a member of the AWA or state body. So instead, we call it the 'Lake George Speed Sessions' - it is not an event in the traditional sense of the word, but it is a window of time where you can achieve great speed sailing results. Beachport is a small town and there is one pub. That pub has generously offered to put up prizes to acknowledge the fact that most of you will spend money there during your stay in the town.

The 'event' window has now closed, and it is time to gather the data and arrange a prize draw.

It's really not that hard, but if it is causing angst and confusion, then maybe next year we don't do this. Your call.

Cheers, Chris Dimond.

powersloshin
NSW, 1683 posts
2 Apr 2014 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jamie !

It was a great non-event

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
2 Apr 2014 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Just a bit of fun without public liability insurance, life jackets, race officers etc...

ka43
NSW, 3074 posts
2 Apr 2014 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

All I know is I had a bloody ripper of a time JUST windsurfing (not competing) with others and celebrating at the Beachport pub. Simples!!!

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
2 Apr 2014 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Ahh, yeah I get all that ^^, but I don't recall anyone actually saying we were doing the Speed Sessions like last year. Did I miss something?

So, Jamie's actually got a point too...hasn't he?

BTW sorry I couldn't make it either. See ya next year!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George Speed Sessions 2014" started by Aus06