Level: Expert
Style: Freeriding, Surf, Wake
Weather: 25 knots + 30 knot bullets
Size: 9M 4 line mode
Build Quality: 10 /10
Satisfaction: 10 /10
Disclosure: Team Rider

My Comments:

I am keeping this short because I have only ridden it once. I have been riding the VEGAS for the past few seasons so that is my full disclosure to you. Now I did not have to write this review but I felt it important to share.

I got to demo the 9M DICE at Cottesloe beach on Saturday thanks to Drew at WASURF. Waves where pumping over head coupled with 25 knots + wind. Not the friendliest conditions but perfect for pushing gear to its limit.

WAVE

Scooping into some well overhead chunks this kite just excelled with very precise control and superior power delivery. Once locked onto the wave I could just set the kite and shred it apart. It would just park and ride ridiculously well. There where some big bullets coming through which the kite handled well. Some of the other kites on the water where jelly fishing and getting pumped by the gusts but the D I C E just ate them up and the feedback was smoothed out.

I felt very comfortable on this kite immediately and considering the 'DICEY' conditions this is a huge plus. I had a huge smile on my face.

FREESTYLE

After an hour of pure joy shredding and chasing the swell, I tested the freestyle capabilities. Now I am used to the immediate on power of the Vegas so the technique for jumping was adjusted. Still I was able to boost huge and the kite delivers a very smooth boost and hang time was plentiful. This could possibly be one of the smoothest kites out there.

I will back this short review up with my experiences unhooking. I can not comment on that today but I have only heard good things on that front so far.

My advice is to demo this kite before you make you 13/14 purchase. If you want an al rounder with WAVE, FREESTYLE AND UNHOOKING ability the DICE might just suit you perfectly.

Contact WASURF to demo or your local North Dealer.

Sci

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
2 Sep 2013 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Sci...

you are 74kg, so same as me....mate it was 25 to 30 plus on saturday...what were you riding (what board)

and did you ever feel you could have been on an 8m??

NoBS
WA, 908 posts
2 Sep 2013 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Roberto.... If my sources are correct your tipping the scales at 130kgs and 6ft farken 4.

You don't need to have a degree in biomechanics to realise that you may be able to fold over any grown man with ease. So my common sense would say that trying to take on the hulk may be detrimental to my ability to consume solid food.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
2 Sep 2013 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Ha ha, man you crack me up. I have no idea who or what you are talking about but its bloody funny.

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
3 Sep 2013 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NoBS said..
Roberto.... If my sources are correct your tipping the scales at 130kgs and 6ft farken 4.

You don't need to have a degree in biomechanics to realise that you may be able to fold over any grown man with ease. So my common sense would say that trying to take on the hulk may be detrimental to my ability to consume solid food.

... hey,,, did you delete my previous post.... didn't think it was rude,,, did you think it was rude... hmmmm? Like I said, Nobs sounds like a Nobs and one of those internet tough guys who hides behind the keyboard, not really contributing to a normal converstation. Ya know, better to be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Robbie

ps yeah I'm bit of a fat f@#k, like my beer too much and I'm really a big teddy bear so don't worry, no folding over any grown men, just folding of my kite.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
3 Sep 2013 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Anyhow Sci...

How'd ya go with the unhooking side of things...I found it stable as. Didn't produce as much slack as the new vegas but it's not meant to hey.

Is it useable for more advanced moves of which I cannot do?

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
3 Sep 2013 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

... so,,, Eddie,,, what did you think of the 11m today???

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
3 Sep 2013 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Mate just sent me these...on the dice...

http://www.kiteitright.com/kitesurfing-guides/kitesurfing-kite-reviews/north-dice-kite-surfing-kite.html

And

Regardless of the promo vid wank....have a look at what that Farqer can do on a strapless SB, just blows my Farqin mind!!!

Yeh Eddie how'd ya go man??

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
3 Sep 2013 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Haha nice one Eppo...
I grew up with Tom courts dad before moving to wa nearly 30 years ago. I finally gave into there nagging to give up polling 18 months ago and have loved kiting ever since.
Tom has been on Vegas for ever, so it shows what a push north is making with dice when wave ride and wake styler team riders both jump to promote this kite.

Looking forward to having a ride on your dice at horrocks !

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
3 Sep 2013 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for dobbing me in big fella!

Thought about feedback but far from an expert.

However ; 83 kg , soul wave , directional , how windy was it Robert? 17-25 ? Blah , blah. Oh, on a 5"8 wam.

Also Rode my 2013 12m evo which I love. It's quick and powered. Stays further back in the window but wants to be powered.

Spent about 20 minutes on the 11m Dice. Gusty at the end of the day so not a great session

First impression was that it looked ( in the air ) and acted almost like the 2013 12m Vegas I rode a couple of months ago. Not the edgy aggression but close.
On off power was there. Puetz noted that it might not have the full on power he likes which was correct. It's a totally different package to other north kites I have ridden.

Very light in the air compared to rebel and evo , very nimble and steer by wire feeling. Love that. People have mentioned drift. I get it now.
Rebel , turn at window then screams through the window in transition. On directional you tend be chasing the kite. Great power and boost.
Evo , turn near edge of the window then settles further back earlier but needs to be powered and moving . Doesn't really like being depowered but can drift a little . Pretty good power and boost.

Dice, transition by request , then the kite sits quietly if you want. Doesn't need to be powered. I guess that is the drifting ability. So for me ,that is what I want. Switch power on and off. When I turn I like that it waits for instructions and then delivers rather than driving the agenda.
Didn't test the boasting ability but would seem obvious that it is different to say a rebel. It's a different design.
Can't compare to other brands but am going to talk about the elephant in the room after riding the zephyr a lot. ( which is a brilliant kite ) .
It was great to get back on a north bar.

Comment has been made about keeping it simple etc but I don't agree. Its not complicated. It's adjustability in throw does make it much more comfortable and user friendly and that is all there is to it having got back to it.
Added to that , it would be great to have the stopper ball in many situations.
A good example for thought is the big fella is 6'4 and his missus is 5" 2-4? They ride the same kites. There no way his missus is going to find it as easy to cope with the reach required . Perhaps it more noticeable in our skinny air.

Back to the dice. In summary. For my style this is what I want in this wind range. A light fast turning kite which does not load up if you don't want it to. Very stable and predictable. Well made also.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
3 Sep 2013 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dave Whettingsteel said..

Haha nice one Eppo...
I grew up with Tom courts dad before moving to wa nearly 30 years ago. I finally gave into there nagging to give up polling 18 months ago and have loved kiting ever since.
Tom has been on Vegas for ever, so it shows what a push north is making with dice when wave ride and wake styler team riders both jump to promote this kite.

Looking forward to having a ride on your dice at horrocks !

Yep caravan park booked man, can't wait to get up there. Kite, Barby and a few beers maybe? Ha ha inviting myself, what a jerk...lol

Ps I come with a wife and kids to...lol!!!

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
3 Sep 2013 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eddiemorgs said..

Thanks for dobbing me in big fella!

Thought about feedback but far from an expert.

However ; 83 kg , soul wave , directional , how windy was it Robert? 17-25 ? Blah , blah. Oh, on a 5"8 wam.

Also Rode my 2013 12m evo which I love. It's quick and powered. Stays further back in the window but wants to be powered.

Spent about 20 minutes on the 11m Dice. Gusty at the end of the day so not a great session

First impression was that it looked ( in the air ) and acted almost like the 2013 12m Vegas I rode a couple of months ago. Not the edgy aggression but close.
On off power was there. Puetz noted that it might not have the full on power he likes which was correct. It's a totally different package to other north kites I have ridden.

Very light in the air compared to rebel and evo , very nimble and steer by wire feeling. Love that. People have mentioned drift. I get it now.
Rebel , turn at window then screams through the window in transition. On directional you tend be chasing the kite. Great power and boost.
Evo , turn near edge of the window then settles further back earlier but needs to be powered and moving . Doesn't really like being depowered but can drift a little . Pretty good power and boost.

Dice, transition by request , then the kite sits quietly if you want. Doesn't need to be powered. I guess that is the drifting ability. So for me ,that is what I want. Switch power on and off. When I turn I like that it waits for instructions and then delivers rather than driving the agenda.
Didn't test the boasting ability but would seem obvious that it is different to say a rebel. It's a different design.
Can't compare to other brands but am going to talk about the elephant in the room after riding the zephyr a lot. ( which is a brilliant kite ) .
It was great to get back on a north bar.

Comment has been made about keeping it simple etc but I don't agree. Its not complicated. It's adjustability in throw does make it much more comfortable and user friendly and that is all there is to it having got back to it.
Added to that , it would be great to have the stopper ball in many situations.
A good example for thought is the big fella is 6'4 and his missus is 5" 2-4? They ride the same kites. There no way his missus is going to find it as easy to cope with the reach required . Perhaps it more noticeable in our skinny air.

Back to the dice. In summary. For my style this is what I want. A light fast turning kite which does not load up if you don't want it to. Very stable and predictable. Well made also.

Really good insights Eddie.

Ps shhh it boosts really well....

Pss...just to add to some thoughts I have had since my rides on this kite (and this has been brought forward by the long convos I have with my mate who I bounce ideas off all the time), one thing that explains some of eddies observations...

The depower throw and associated angle of attack. From fully powered in to say just over half way, the angle attack is really gradual giving exact feedback and linear power but the last quarter, the angle of attack changes severely. You can really see this. I spent at least 20 minutes just watching this in action (and hitting the water a few time..oh well).

What this gives is the ability to really follow and fly into different sections of a wave, but then quickly kill the power and ride just with your board, but then as you pull in, you can again get the kite to respond quickly and fly and follow again....gives you a bit of both.

But more importantly in the range that you normally fly the gradual angle of attack really allows you to develop apparent wind and provides linear smooth power without any stupid jerky on/off power delivery you get on some wings. It allows you to really use your weight and edging with slight changes of the depower. So they have done someone with the wings profile, bridalling/pulleys to allow this, I'm no aeronautical engineer but it works.

This may go some way to explain eddies experience as I had the same and wanted to find out why!!! Hence my weird 20 minutes. Hey Eddie another thing you could try is climbing up the front lines after you have raced at the kite....and watch it drift back....because if it doesn't you will be in the drink...and that doesn't happen...lol

Psss time to get tony on the kite lol!!!

Pssss its got bucket loads of power in the right conditions....with a very good low end. Try looping it next time...yeeha

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
4 Sep 2013 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

... watching Eddie from some distance away I noticed the Dice was noticeably quicker across the sky after a transision compared to the Evo and yet it didn't rip him off the board or rather he become un-balanced while transisioning. Eddie likes to get the kite low and slam into a hard carve, swing the kite on its ear and let it rip across the sky and the Dice would cross the wind window very quickly, and to my eyes, quicker than the Evo. With this sort of speed, the likes of the Rebel would rip him off the board and yet the Dice didn't. To me it showed the kite doesn't have the power spike like the Rebel so evidence it won't rip you off a wave.

Anyway, hope I get a turn on it today grab a ride and see for myself.

cheers,

Robbie

p.s. ... hey Eppo, FYI and forgive my nerdiness here, when writing the ps thing, each subsequent one should be another p or pps or ppps ect ie post script, post post script.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
4 Sep 2013 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh sounds like I'm having a longer and longer piss....lol!!

and yes as explained above it produces a real linear power increase and good forward turning.

sci
WA, 762 posts
4 Sep 2013 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Hey Sci...

you are 74kg, so same as me....mate it was 25 to 30 plus on saturday...what were you riding (what board)

and did you ever feel you could have been on an 8m??

I tried the DICE in boots, straps and strapless surfboard.

Great Jumping
Nice Unhooked
Superior drift for waves
Decent amount of depower
4 line ease and quick relaunch
Lots of options to trim the kite, increase power and turning speed.

I am putting my order in

Done

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
4 Sep 2013 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Ever felt ya needed an 8m?? On the strapped tt. ??

pgc
VIC, 885 posts
4 Sep 2013 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

picked up a 6 and 10 dice today to go with my8.Also got 8/10/12/14/rebel tried the 8 rebel out in really gusty 15-30. What can i say .Rebel is rebel.

New bar feels great in the hand and is slightly thicker near the depower lines. Feels more positive plus its moulded in one piece so no problems with the grip if u keep hiting it with ure board james storm

THEYDONTKNOWSHOT
VIC, 216 posts
4 Sep 2013 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pgc said..

picked up a 6 and 10 dice today to go with my8.Also got 8/10/12/14/rebel tried the 8 rebel out in really gusty 15-30. What can i say .Rebel is rebel.

New bar feels great in the hand and is slightly thicker near the depower lines. Feels more positive plus its moulded in one piece so no problems with the grip if u keep hiting it with ure board james storm

hey pgc

im gonna go with the dice, u said u got a 10m and ur in vic? how much do u weigh?

im 78kg usually ride down gnotuck got an 11m octane, would u go the 11m dice or 12m dice? i want it for my summer seabreeze days

i was thinking going the 12m cos i can just depower yeah? not often is it ever over 25knots so i would think a 12 would be fine?

what do u think?

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
4 Sep 2013 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pgc said..

Christ pgc, do sell crack cocaine on the side or something??? Farq it man, why not get a set of Neos, fuses and evos while you are it!!

pgc
VIC, 885 posts
5 Sep 2013 1:42AM
Thumbs Up

nah eppo i am only just 14. i am sponsored by north/smook/axis/kahuna street sups and fanatic. So i get to ride all the sweet stuff.Dad sells my old gear to get me the new stuff.Lucky boy eh!!!!!!!! see you at kite stock, james

piccio
25 posts
5 Sep 2013 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pgc said..
nah eppo i am only just 14. i am sponsored by north/smook/axis/kahuna street sups and fanatic. So i get to ride all the sweet stuff.Dad sells my old gear to get me the new stuff.Lucky boy eh!!!!!!!! see you at kite stock, james

Hi pgc does your father needs another son ? some much older ,not sponsored but north as well and good cooking italian style!!!!!!!!!!!
ciao

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
5 Sep 2013 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

I'm 40 pgc but I could pass as your uncle....

SaltySinus
VIC, 960 posts
5 Sep 2013 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

I know this may sound petty (because it is) but am I the only one who is irked by it being called Dice and not Die?

FYI, I like North as a brand. I own two Rebels and one "Vegases".

zephyr
NSW, 84 posts
Site Sponsor
5 Sep 2013 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Stoked i had a chance to ride the 8m Dice last week... Again, they have made another great kite!

From a girls point of view; these kites (including the Neo, and all other North kites) are super light on the bar but you also know where it is all the time. they are easy to change the front lines as the adjuster strap is adjustable to suit our short arms, not to mention the safety is also great as it releases without any effort at all.

Back to the Dice... Although I haven't ridden it in the waves yet, this kite is awesome at going up wind, boosts plenty high enough for me and is grunty for an 8 without being overpowering (like last years Rebel).

I think this is the only kite i will need for Summer with a surf board & Twin tip.

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
5 Sep 2013 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Ok. I am from the land of skinny wind.

Can anyone comment on the 13 ?

Does it have similar characteristics to the smaller versions ?

leepasty
368 posts
6 Sep 2013 2:00AM
Thumbs Up

hey all
been lucky enough to had the Dice & Rebel 9 m for a while now and had a few great wave sessions on both. wasnt allowed to postr anything till launch but both amazing kites.
have done a brief comparisom on my blog www.leepasty.co.uk/blog
also check out this quick vid on the Rebel and Dice last sat using GoPro 3 and chest mount

happy kiting hope to be back out for xmas 2014

warren1987
VIC, 13 posts
6 Sep 2013 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Hi mate, coming back to the uk next year, just wondering average winds in Cornwall? Where else in the uk is good for kite surfing? Great video thanks mate.

warren1987
VIC, 13 posts
6 Sep 2013 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hi mate, coming back to the uk next year, just wondering average winds in Cornwall? Where else in the uk is good for kite surfing? Great video thanks mate.

THEYDONTKNOWSHOT
VIC, 216 posts
6 Sep 2013 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Just purchased a dice!! Hangin for some wind now!! Hanging!!

NoBS
WA, 908 posts
9 Sep 2013 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Dice..

arloj
WA, 237 posts
10 Sep 2013 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone ridden the park an the dice and could comment on the difference? They sound remarkably similar

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"NORTH D I C E 2014" started by sci