NORTH D I C E 2014

Created by sci > 9 months ago, 2 Sep 2013
Plummet
4862 posts
21 Dec 2013 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WOK said..

So the low end is good, what about when the wind gets up?

Reason I ask is we had a 9mt Dice out the other day with an Ozone Reo as well as a lesser known kite the Blade mist, the wind was about 20knots maybe a bit more, my personal findings were that the kite didn't depower well at all, in fact it was pulling me off my edge, reminded me of when I tried an RRD religion which was another bad experience

I also tried some fast turns with the kite low only to watch the kite accelerate so fast through the window that it flew out of the window and luffed, it did catch again fair play but for my style this was bad.

Jumping was terrible for me and super unrewarding, in fact I came in almost angry at what I experienced, I think after reading so much HYPE about this kite I was just plain disappointed.

Going straight back out on the Reo was a breath of fresh air having a kite with such efficient depower on a short throw and feeling like it is a part of you is great, even the Blade Mist felt 10 x the kite, it was just so much fun.

I am not here to bag the kite but just to put it in perspective, I think for guys that don't fly the kite to much and just want the kite to Drift this could be a good option along with a BWS Noise and others, but I would recommend trying others as well.

This for me was an eye opening experience and see why North work so hard on marketing, maybe they should put a bit more effort into design

Again I don't get the whole Wave/freestyle thing, is it a wave or freestyle kite? it sound a bit like the Rebel which "apparently" was an awesome wave kite as well!!!!

Jason
West Oz Boardsports

Bizaar..... This is the complete opposite experience to what I had. I flew the 10m reo and the 10m Dice back to back. I them both on the exact same ozone bar with the same trim settings,

If anything that should have advantaged the Reo. The dice outperformed the reo in every department. It turned faster, jumped better, drifted well I cant say it was better... maybe the same, depowered better. The reo was punchy the dice was smooth. the Reo tried to pull me off the edge the dice didn't.

It was quite guttering for me as would much prefer to buy the Reo. My good buddy sells them, they don't run pullies and the rest of my leis are ozone.

Note. I do not have an affiliation to any brand. I am not advantaged or disadvantaged by posting a review. I just tell it how I see it.

I also rode the 10m dice back to back with the 10m 2012 C4. In the lighter 18-20 knots winds I tried it in on that day my grin factor on the dice was far more.....

PS I still haven't bought one yet. Hoping to try a 2014 cat before I make a decision either way.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
21 Dec 2013 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WOK said..

Paul1 said..

Maybe you need a bit more practice at kitesurfing mate? I have had heaps of kites in the past that I have raved about, but this dice is the best by far, you definitely need to be of a decent skill level to get the most out of it, as you actually have to fly the kite rather than sit there like a sack of sh1t waiting for the thing to mow the lawn for you, but if you know what you are doing, as many, many people have stated, this kite is amazingly rewarding. 5 stars North. This is NOT a park and ride kite, you need to put some work in to reap the rewards.

Sorry Paul1, I will get some lessons and then get back to you

you probably should mate........your feedback on the kite has a hidden agenda, or you are lacking something in the skills department...your choice.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
21 Dec 2013 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Paul1 said..

Maybe you need a bit more practice at kitesurfing mate? I have had heaps of kites in the past that I have raved about, but this dice is the best by far, you definitely need to be of a decent skill level to get the most out of it, as you actually have to fly the kite rather than sit there like a sack of sh1t waiting for the thing to mow the lawn for you, but if you know what you are doing, as many, many people have stated, this kite is amazingly rewarding. 5 stars North. This is NOT a park and ride kite, you need to put some work in to reap the rewards.

.....um Paul you know who wok is right? Trust me the man can ride better than most!!! As I said he sincerely disliked the dice, straight out. But I agree with safer....not a good look, but for what it is worth wok is sincere here.

I thought his post had a hidden agenda, so I was stirring him up , which clearly worked as he has now posted a picture of himself to prove how rad he is....

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
21 Dec 2013 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

I doubt wok would even want to be seen trying it if his agenda was to promote another brand, not that I even know the guy. I pay for all my kites and I thought the dice was ok, but not the perfect kite for me.

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
21 Dec 2013 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

I give up!!!

I give a small bit of feedback about a kite that I feel is getting a bit overhyped on a forum and all the tools come out!

Can somebody please stop the planet, I want to get off

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
21 Dec 2013 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Those who know wok, realise quickly he is a straight shooter and I have rarely heard him bag another kite. I know on the surface it looks suss, but I can tell you he honestly did not gel with the dice and not did one of his instructors who I had a long chat with that beer o'clock arvo. ....and he's a Vegas rider!!! Well he was now he's got himself some mists on the way!

Those who know wok also know he will out kite 99 percent of riders especially in the waves. Spent many a storm day watching from the car park at our local watching him absolutely smash head high and above waves in 30 plus knots. As good as you see on any of those gaybo promo vids. Then again he used to smash it in 2001 on non depowerable monster kites in a TT as well.

My excuse is he is a goofy footer, but alas I'm like the lead guitarist who sits there and says 'I could that'. But I can't.

He was sincerely pissed off and expected better and it is really out of character for him to say something like he did. He's a top fella with no agenda just hated the kite....if anything his message is...

Demo demo and demo some more, don't buy into hype.

For the record my experience was the same as plummets but that doesn't mean it is fact. The facts are wok fkn kills it on the new reo seen it on the water. Find your kite, invest time into getting the right one.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"NORTH D I C E 2014" started by sci