Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

NORTH D I C E 2014

Created by sci > 9 months ago, 2 Sep 2013
eppo
WA, 9481 posts
10 Sep 2013 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

No but I did run into a park rider who is is thinking about getting some dice kites after a demo. Met him at kite addiction picking up some Naish apex bindings...OMG The BEST straps and pads my feet have ever been in.

He is keeping the 7m park though for his high wind kite and so his misses can use it. He loves the parks. Think I would to by the sounds of them.

I did read a review of the dice where someone does mention the park, I will try and find it and post it here.

Basically he said their is no doubt the dice fills that niche the park and rpm fits. He did say the dice has more float and control in the air that the flatter park.

That's all I got as I haven't flown the park yet but as I said reckon its a kite I would like a lot.

Radman
WA, 629 posts
11 Sep 2013 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Flew the 9 mt yesdy 16-20 kns 5"8 surfboard. 79 kg coming off neo 8 mt I found the dice to be everything the reviews are saying very nice Unhooked down the line Drrrriiiiiiifffffffffttttttt Sits back nicely. Go see Kim at Geraldton Surf an Sail for a demo he has 9 and a 6 I can feel a new kite coming on any one want a barely used 10 mt neo

Radman
WA, 629 posts
11 Sep 2013 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

O an park vs dice not even in same categories only similarity is a waggle of the wing tip when pumping the bar in an out Fly under a park and it will invert and fly into the ground Fly und a dice and it parks at 12

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
11 Sep 2013 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hey kim been on one yet? Yeh radman I agree they say all kites drift a little...this kite really does driiiiiiiiifffffffft as you put it. Extremely stable when you fly under it, even if you try and climb up the front lines to really test it as you are flying at it with speed! Outstanding in this department.

So you found it 'how' different to the Neo?

Radman
WA, 629 posts
12 Sep 2013 6:35AM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...
Here's that review from an experienced C kite rider, that mentions the Park..

http://www.kiteitright.com/kitesurfing-guides/kitesurfing-kite-reviews/north-dice-kite-surfing-kite.html

Two sessions on the 6 mt yestdy 15-25 kn frontal winds bottom end is incredible Compared to last years neo it's better upwind faster turning more stable unhooked better lighter bar I was thinking that surely last years neo was the snizzle No need to requiver again this year but alas I find my self dilemarized with the little voice inside my head telling me I gotta have me one or two of these. I did let Kim @ geraldton#surf#sail have a quick go we swapped kites he was on 2012 7 mt neo on 22 mt lines the 6 dice developed same power once you wind it up all done with less effort off the bar as turning speed and power development through redirection is the snizzle

Spark
WA, 208 posts
12 Sep 2013 7:41AM
Thumbs Up

Radman said..

eppo said...
Here's that review from an experienced C kite rider, that mentions the Park..

http://www.kiteitright.com/kitesurfing-guides/kitesurfing-kite-reviews/north-dice-kite-surfing-kite.html

Two sessions on the 6 mt yestdy 15-25 kn frontal winds bottom end is incredible Compared to last years neo it's better upwind faster turning more stable unhooked better lighter bar I was thinking that surely last years neo was the snizzle No need to requiver again this year but alas I find my self dilemarized with the little voice inside my head telling me I gotta have me one or two of these. I did let Kim @ geraldton#surf#sail have a quick go we swapped kites he was on 2012 7 mt neo on 22 mt lines the 6 dice developed same power once you wind it up all done with less effort off the bar as turning speed and power development through redirection is the snizzle

How do you find the gap between the 9 and 6?

I have just got a 12, 9 combo and can't decide weather to go a 6 or 7? Trying to weigh it all up
I ride a 5'10 SB at 85kg

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
12 Sep 2013 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

My Rebel combo for Vic is 6'8'10 m with Sb Have only so far tried 8m dice in shxx wind but it seemed to have similar power to my 8m rebel Has any kiters tried back to back with rebel 2013

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
12 Sep 2013 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Where you on a four or five line bar?

GSS
WA, 75 posts
13 Sep 2013 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

So I have tried 2013 Rebel, NEO and 2014 DICE all in the last week or so. These are my thoughts (kites compared to each other) for wave riding...
Rebel has constant pull and quite slow, have to ride waves with kite fairly depowered
Neo is faster and pivot turns so more manoverable, drifts better and can turn the power off
Dice is super fast and manoverable, drifts etc... with more power than Neo (just)

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
13 Sep 2013 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Where you on a four or five line bar?

Yes on the dice four line 22m and rebels also 22m lines

Radman
WA, 629 posts
14 Sep 2013 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

22 mt lines sux 24 is way better

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
14 Sep 2013 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Each to there own . But after kiting full season with 22m and have go with 24m lines it was shxxx

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
14 Sep 2013 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh most say 22m is the go. Depends on what ya after.

FreezingCold
4 posts
14 Sep 2013 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone comment on size to size comparision between Rebel and Dice? I have been Rebel rider for 3 years know and my 9m 2010 is getting old and wanted to look into finding a Dice, fitting in the space of 6m and 12m Rebels. (wanted to try a Dice more before tacking the full plunge and replace the whole quiver). Is 9m Dice equivalent to 9m Rebel or is it rather a 10m Dice?

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
14 Sep 2013 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Considering your quiver the question is kind of irrelevant. 9m dice would sit the best in that rebel quiver. Then get a 12m dice and probably a 7 underneath. Rebel will always have more low end it h more aspect. The dice on the quad bar though has a continually surprising low end.

kiter63
45 posts
14 Sep 2013 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

I get the impression the Dice is different on the 5-line bar than the 4-line bar. Isn't it an unloaded 5th line? Shouldn't it be the same? For someone with Rebels wanting to add a Dice (or two) how important is the 4-line bar?

Drewm
VIC, 159 posts
15 Sep 2013 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

The only difference the 5 line makes is that it's better for self landing

The kite flies exactly the same on 4 or 5 lines.

FreezingCold
4 posts
15 Sep 2013 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks eppo! Will go for 5-lines for now, until I get the 2nd Dice (then I intend to move to 4-lines). Is it maybe youo eppo who claim Dice on 4-lines is better than 5-lines? Interesting if there is actual difference (I tried Dice 7 on 5-lines - love it, if better on 4 - GREAT!).

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
15 Sep 2013 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Hey what's better?? That's up to the individual really. Fifth line for sure for easier landing. Yeh it is a unloaded fifth. I found but I have only have a couple of rides to compare, the four line has a bit more bottom end...but I didn't ride them back to back.

Listen to drewm he's ridden them heaps.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
16 Sep 2013 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Thought this was a really genuine, honest review from kiteforum....

Hi all, I had a quick go on a 10m dice, (1 hr choppy conditions) so I can't be over critical until I have a second fly. I have been riding for about 4 years, weight 97kg, 6ft 3 ride a 136 TT shinn board, I was out in cross on conditions high tide, choppy as hell in about 19-22mph I think.
I enjoy free riding and basic freestyle, Just learning F-16's so I'm far from advanced. I'm not into handle passes yet and I'll be honest probably won't as I'm too old and can't afford the time off work. I'm not brand affiliated in any way, I'm a paying customer who loves the sport and is totally addicted.
I have been riding rpm,s on and off for 3 years and I changed a few times to different brands but always felt the rpm was more refined, quicker, better handling, forgiving and nice through the loop. I would love to own fuels but the south coast in the uk doesn't suit these kites IMO. Anyway I took my rpm,s to the beach called into the local shop and picked up there demo 10m dice.
First impressions after pumping up, typical north build quality, top notch, D2 material small Dacron trailing edge, much lighter than other kites in the north line up. Scuff patches in all the right places and the new inflation valve, simple to use and quick to pump up, similar to ozone/liquid force.
Laying on the beach it is fairly high aspect and looks like a Vegas with the tips cut off.
I almost forgot I had 22mm lines so probably an equal balance between speed/low end.
In the air the kite looks similar to an rpm but slightly more solid feeling, hard to explain. The north bar is also great on par with the simple slinky bar.
I fully powered the kite up and dived it through the window, the kite accelerated so quickly, caught me by surprise, I easily had enough power to pull out over the crashing waves. The kite felt nimble, solid with great bar feedback. The bar pressure was medium to medium light IMO, slightly lighter than an rpm but I did have it set up on light setting (couldn't be bothered changing it). So on the heavier setting probably ideal for freestyle and the lighter side for waves.

Upwind was great, you could hold your line and the kite would be pullingntowardsbthe front of the window. Down wind was fantastic, kite just drifted so well, I ran towards the kite on quite a few occasions and it just floated backwards well balanced with slack lines.

Freestyle, the wind was not as strong as I would have liked it to be honest due to my weight but I was easily getting 12ft plus airs. Kite loops were very nice indeed, quick with medium pull allowing me the rider to still be in control.
To sum it up it is very rare I get on a kite in these conditions and actually think I prefer that kite to my own as I am always comparing other kites against my own rpm as they have a great reputation as a do it all machine.

To sum up I used to own north Vegas kites as well, great kite but personally can't stand 5 lines, don't think there is any need for them. Also owned a rebel, same opinion, 5 lines and not very good at loops etc.

I just found the dice a great compromise, solid, well built, 4 lines, simple bridal, responsive, excellent drift, IMO pretty good low end considering, a real rpm contender. Well done north, looks like 2014 will be another expensive year for me.

A 2013 Rpm sold already and the other one very soon.

Just wanted to point out when I tuned up at the beach 3 kites were already out, a 12m rpm, a 12m rebel and a tiny guy on a 10m very high aspect kite (unsure make/brand), I was defiantly larger in size than them so I had some concerns when I pumped up a 10m with the wind dropping off slightly on the high tide. These concerns were forgotten as soon as I launched. So this must say something about the low end. Even the shop were surprised when I returned saying I got out. I am defiantly no light wind expert, I much prefer to be powered.

Oh what to do now ah, 10m dice and wait for the new evo that is meant to be a cross between the fuse/current evo, apparently totally re-designed. I already have an ozone zephyr for the very marginal days.

Could just have the zephyr and 10m dice, massive gap but may work, and treat myself to a kiting hol

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
17 Sep 2013 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Nath
WA, 113 posts
18 Sep 2013 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Also had a chance to demo a 9m from AKS/Action Sports WA today and agree with the comments people are sharing. Having flown Reos for a few years, I was quite surprised to find such a similar feel from a very different kite design. To me, the Dice was one of those kites where you instantly feel totally dialled in. The feedback from the kite is smooth and accurate. Stability in the light, gusty wind was faultless and the tuning was perfect out of the bag. The depower was smooth, immediate and super friendly for riding without straps or adding upwind cutbacks to a down the line run. Turning is direct and the kite is swift across the wind window without any flutter. Looking forward to being able to mix things up with a bit of airtime on the flat days too.

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
25 Sep 2013 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

In case anyone is interested. Unpacked my new 13m dice and had a go on it today. My concern was , did it carry the dice characteristics of the smaller versions?

Tropical skinny wind means we need the upper end in size of the model - whatever we buy. So I went for the 13. Probably not many of them being used in the country.

So took it out in 12-15 on the nugget right at the bottom of its wind range. Had to work for it but it went upwind like a truck , ws a bit surprised. After a bit , got windier , when it powered up-smooth , predictable , delivered power when asked and knocked it off when needed in small waves. Cranked , pivot turns when asked but could give a wide arc of power as well which did not include getting involved with the window.

If I could I use the expression " drive by wire " this is as close as it gets to me. Point and away it goes , drifts and does what is asked of it .

Waiting for a windy day to really test it. Early indication is the 13 has the same characteristics as the 11 I rode a while ago and fills the gap for me. Might be a bit slower turning , bloody quick in a straight line.

Reckon the wet season is going to be fun with zephyr and 13 dice.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
25 Sep 2013 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Would I lie to you Eddie.

Well I have flown the 12,11, 9, and mate had his 6 out the other day. They all fly the same so I would expect the 13 to. Stoked for ya man. Not bad in 12 to 15 in skinny winds. Down here we would be cranked on a nuggets.

Mates 85kg on a 134 NHP and I was out on the 11 on a light wind TT and im 75 kg those exact winds but not the skinny type and he got in on his 12 and I noticed he was a fair bit downwind and there was a big swell running, lots of current. I thought well he will be walking back. Looked back and he had tracked all the way upwind and past the point into the bay. Now he's a good rider but sht. Even he was surprised. We then for 5 hrs of great wind a great day all round. I also tapped into his skill as this kite requires a more C kite jumping technique something I had forgotten how to do since the bow days started in 2007. Ha ha ha

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
26 Sep 2013 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah goes upwind well - Puetz noted that I flew upwind with him and he seemed surprised so I guess it does that well . Bit hard to tell sometimes

Also , didn't mention I started on the light setting - couldn't feel it , so changed to heavy and made all the difference . Will have to play around with that as we go .

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
26 Sep 2013 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

... bloody hell Eddie, you charged up wind like you were on a race board or something,,, certainly did suprize me how fast you cranked upwind in such little wind. That bloody Dice and Nugget have got some voodoo thing going on!!!

The other thing that was notable was how quick it turned in transistion especially when you stomped the back foot down.

So, Eddie, which is your favorite kite now, Zephyr or Dice??????

cheers,

Robbie

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
26 Sep 2013 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..

... bloody hell Eddie, you charged up wind like you were on a race board or something,,, certainly did suprize me how fast you cranked upwind in such little wind. That bloody Dice and Nugget have got some voodoo thing going on!!!

The other thing that was notable was how quick it turned in transistion especially when you stomped the back foot down.

So, Eddie, which is your favorite kite now, Zephyr or Dice??????

cheers,

Robbie

Went out this morning in relatively marginal conditions (got a a large hour window with clear skies before another front came) on a small 8m and my laluz.

There is a knack to it, it seems which is worth passing on if crew demo it. Had collectively probably 12 to 14 hours on this kite in various sources so have got a pretty decent idea now.

One thing is apparent is that on the upstroke, it generates a fair bit or power. On the down stroke the kite is quick across the window and when you start planning if you try and do large swoops up and back it may laugh at you a bit. Trick is to do one large swoop, angle yourself downwind, then activate some quick movements back and forth, where you bring it just back from the edge of the window, and forward again. Do a few of these, generate power then lock off and crank upwind. Come off your edge just slightly on the upstroke and gradually push the edge in again on the down or forward stroke (is a better way to describe it). Use the upstroke to your advantage. The kite needs to be flown, it's not a downstroke and lock off job unless really powered.

Also the first half of the depower if a very linear power off, power on affair, great for these small movements and great to generate power for fly and follow in the waves or to get yourself out of sht through a forward or downloop. Last half the power is really killed, great for park and ride but you need to be aware (especially on a TT) of this when working in the waves. You can kill the power completely, which can leave you in the pit and vulnerable on an inefficient TT. On a SB no probs you will just ride through it. Don't know what they have done, but they got it damn near perfect.

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
26 Sep 2013 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Good question - I think it will depend on the best last session I had on whichever kite !

Bearing in mind my style and weight (80-85)- cruising , waves or chop in skinny wind -

The Zephyr opened up a whole world not quite available on other big kites I have tried in my short time - its positioning in the window , wind range , turning speed against size and its ability to drift has plugged the gap for me - have great fun in waves now as it sets where you want , refuses to back down , you can crank a turn and has enormous wind range .
I like the often quoted Ozone simplicity but still have issues with bar throw . Our skinny wind means we have to work the kite more than others and in the end its just tiring but I would not necessarily say it needs change - its a great kite - if I was 5'2" it is a problem . Yes , you can make adjustments but the throw is the throw .

Haven't spent much time on the dice but can see its possibilities from a mile away - really looking forward to getting to know the kite better

May I venture to say that the Dice is a Zephyr on steroids ? ( Or vice versa ) It fills my style needs , so could make that assumption ...

A final thought though - for me , without the nugget the enjoyment of these 2 great kites in Darwin just would not be as possible . Was kiting with a friend (on 13mDice and nugget ) who was on tt and 14m rebel and left him behind . That board is slowly looking more and more beaten - heel dents , delamination , water marking , busted fins , pads missing - need to buy up on the old models I think - what an absolute classic

Mex
QLD, 106 posts
26 Sep 2013 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Very interesting to hear that the upwind ability of the Dice is very good.
The North specs of the Dice could be a bit misleading.
Will have to demo but I will wait until the new and different Evo comes out and then demo both.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
26 Sep 2013 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

May I venture to say that the Dice is a Zephyr on steroids ? ( Or vice versa ) It fills my style needs , so could make that assumption ...

My mission this year was to find a kite that sits in a similar position in the window (within a range) as the zephyr. I just love this kite and how it flies.

Tried a lot, and the dice was it. So you are wise Eddie with the quote above. Jumping from the zephyr to my 11m dice their is little to dial in again. Very similar except the limitations imposed by a 17m kite.

Very similar in power delivery and adaptability. The zephyr probably in all honesty flies a little more forward but that's the edge DNA at play and what you need in lighter winds. If only ozone could have scaled back the zephyr and chucked some of the old C4 in it. But when I brought this up it seems I was alone (apart from a few individuals) and was swamped by the ozone crew basically telling me I was on drugs and ozone have it all covered. No they don't! It wasn't an easy decision either because I had to go with another retailer (albeit great guys who are enthusiastic as hell) and not go through the normal person I trust and call a friend.

This kite will appeal to so many riders and will smash a new as*hole in this segment of the market.

And mex, yeh good ploy. The new Evo/fuse combo does sound very interesting indeed. Don't think you will beat the Evo's low end with some fuse aspect in it. But it will be a second stringer in the waves to the dice. Just predictions of course, we will see. Report back will ya.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"NORTH D I C E 2014" started by sci