Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

NORTH D I C E 2014

Created by sci > 9 months ago, 2 Sep 2013
Mex
QLD, 106 posts
26 Sep 2013 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Will let you know. No real waves this side of Oz, so no real issue in that area. Have heard the Evo is more a freeride kite, so that's suits me as I am a Fuse man.
But still will test both.

ste
WA, 501 posts
26 Sep 2013 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Eppo, how would the dice compare to the 2013 cat, size for size in low end, power, and apparent wind build up? Cheers

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
26 Sep 2013 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

I have to be careful here...my opinions, these are not facts.

Okay, I will compare the 8m. Low end about the same, maybe the cat a tad lower. A knot lower. Top end no competition, the cat didn't like its top end much, got real punchy. Anywhere over 25 was a mind fck. Especially if gusty conditions. Its like the C in it was magnified! Dice hold its form and handles gusts much better. Been out in 30 knots and could have gone more.

Power, considerably smoother on the dice. Cat higher bar pressure, delay in turning, then wham you'd get a power spike across the window. Dice comes on smooth and linear. Will the cat turn when depowered, no. Does it drift, kind of not really. Maybe some. Does the dice do all these, yes. Apparent wind build up...mmm similar, dice flies a little more forward in the window at first, then settles back.

Jumping, mmm similar. More float on the dice though. I can get higher on the dice though, the power delivery is so linear you can really dial in the load and release. But the cat can go.

Did I like the cat? in the end, no. Is this the reason i went to the dice? yes. do i think ozone have it wrong having such a gap between the cat (a pretend C4) and the full blown race kite?, yes. do most disagree with me,? yes. do i care? no, becuase otherwise i wouldnt have tried the dice.

Hence these opinions are biased and so take no notice whatsoever.

Look the dice is not the holy grail of kites, its just a bloody great wing that suites where I'm at at the moment. I still dearly miss my edge for power, height and glide. But those days are over.

So get out there and fly them all and don't listen to flog bags like me and all the other pricks banging on about kites. Use your own time like I did and find out what suites you at this point in time. Also open your mind to different brands, most make bloody great kites with specific feels. Find the right one for you.

Capt.Gumby
VIC, 344 posts
30 Sep 2013 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Have ridden fuels for years then onto RPM, trying North but undecided on the Evo or Dice. Which one has the closer feel to RPM? Prefer to unhook than anything else. Any comments/opinions greatly appreciated.

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
30 Sep 2013 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Don't anything about the fuels or rpm but have Evos and the dice.

Higher in the wind range. Evo 12 and 14 and dice 13.

Evo very much all rounder , sits back in the window , needs power to turn but does it better than rebel, loves wind and works way better when powered. Drifts ok but nothing special. 12 is sweet kite. Rebel for boosting and power moves, evo more free ride.

Had a couple of sessions on dice. Closer to Vegas than evo , drifts well, great upwind , drive by wire, it's an all rounder wave kite. Bloody love it

Spark
WA, 208 posts
30 Sep 2013 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eddiemorgs said..

Don't anything about the fuels or rpm but have Evos and the dice.

Higher in the wind range. Evo 12 and 14 and dice 13.

Evo very much all rounder , sits back in the window , needs power to turn but does it better than rebel, loves wind and works way better when powered. Drifts ok but nothing special. 12 is sweet kite. Rebel for boosting and power moves, evo more free ride.

Had a couple of sessions on dice. Closer to Vegas than evo , drifts well, great upwind , drive by wire, it's an all rounder wave kite. Bloody love it

PLus the evo has changed a fair bit on 2014 (when it gets released) used alot of the design characteristics of the fuse which has been discontinued for 2014.

Gumby, haven't ridden the RPM but surely the dice would be the most similar kite out of the 2 you mentioned, and definitely the pick for unhooking.

Plummet
4862 posts
1 Oct 2013 6:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

I have to be careful here...my opinions, these are not facts.

Okay, I will compare the 8m. Low end about the same, maybe the cat a tad lower. A knot lower. Top end no competition, the cat didn't like its top end much, got real punchy. Anywhere over 25 was a mind fck. Especially if gusty conditions. Its like the C in it was magnified! Dice hold its form and handles gusts much better. Been out in 30 knots and could have gone more.

Power, considerably smoother on the dice. Cat higher bar pressure, delay in turning, then wham you'd get a power spike across the window. Dice comes on smooth and linear. Will the cat turn when depowered, no. Does it drift, kind of not really. Maybe some. Does the dice do all these, yes. Apparent wind build up...mmm similar, dice flies a little more forward in the window at first, then settles back.

Jumping, mmm similar. More float on the dice though. I can get higher on the dice though, the power delivery is so linear you can really dial in the load and release. But the cat can go.

Did I like the cat? in the end, no. Is this the reason i went to the dice? yes. do i think ozone have it wrong having such a gap between the cat (a pretend C4) and the full blown race kite?, yes. do most disagree with me,? yes. do i care? no, becuase otherwise i wouldnt have tried the dice.

Hence these opinions are biased and so take no notice whatsoever.

Look the dice is not the holy grail of kites, its just a bloody great wing that suites where I'm at at the moment. I still dearly miss my edge for power, height and glide. But those days are over.

So get out there and fly them all and don't listen to flog bags like me and all the other pricks banging on about kites. Use your own time like I did and find out what suites you at this point in time. Also open your mind to different brands, most make bloody great kites with specific feels. Find the right one for you.

Yeah eppo's thoughts emulate what I think too in the ozone range. I am a die hard ozone fan. Been on them since 05. Before they even made an lei. Unfortunatly there is gap in ozones range between cat (too boring in moderate winds) to Edge. Just too high aspect for some riding conditions. The C4 used to fit in there quite well but it doesn't anymore. It suits wake style only and that's it. Its left me in the same position as eppo. What to do for my main 10m kite size. I want boost, I want glide, I want also to wave ride. In the 10m size i want more boost/glide than wave riding. but i still want to loop down the line if need be.

Unfortunately for me I have to look outside the ozone line up (one of my good buddies sells ozone and i like to support him).

Any way. A question for you Eppo. Do you use north bar and lines on the Dice or ozone?

charlo
NSW, 14 posts
5 Oct 2013 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hello!

Pls can someone help me... ?

I weight 75kg, do both freestyle and waves and can only get 2 DICE. (which is already nice)

I mostly kite around Sydney (rarely over 25knts) but also go once a year to WA (strong wind) and indonesia(light wind).

I know there is no exact answer but I was thinking to go for 8 and 11 with 22m lines... Would i be better off with a 7 and 10 with 22m lines?

Thanks for your lights!

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
8 Oct 2013 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

I'm guessing for waves you are using a surfboard.
What about 7 and 11m?
If you are getting 2 bars maybe 2 different line lengths.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
9 Oct 2013 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

I weigh the same. I think your choice is spot on. As briskites said get a 24 m line length as well for some extra bottom end. Indonesia you say. Well depending on where you are going 11m won't cut it anyway. If you do have a SB then yeh the 7 , 11 could be an good option for sure.

Nath
WA, 113 posts
14 Oct 2013 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

We just had a week on the Dice (with strapless North Pro-Series 8'11") in fast down-the-line conditions. As others have said, the ride is smooth, turning is precise and both power and depower response is perfect for strapless surfing - including lighter or less experienced riders. Some other nice surprises were that the Dice would allow you to point upwind at a higher angle than the other kites and down the line it absolutely cranked! Like all good wave kites should, the Dice can be comfortably set in position and trimmed with one-hand allowing you to concentrate on surfing the power of the wave. If you work the kite, or loop it, you will easily accelerate around faster close-out sections. I was really surprised to be progressing beyond previous capabilities after only three days on these kites. Totally stoked with these kites. Definitely worth a demo, cheers to Action Sports WA!

For size comparison, at 70kgs on a surfboard, I'm thinking:

15kts-10m

18knts-9m

20knts-8m

23knts-7m

27+knts-6m

Enjoy!

ActionSportsWA
WA, 972 posts
15 Oct 2013 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Paul,

You seem to have vastly different experiences to most people who have ridden the Dice. The Drifter good at Freestyle? The Dice not a great wave kite? Really?

I have been riding Ozone kites since 2008 as my personal choice in kites as I prefered their performance over others. I have been on Reo's since they first came out and they are the best wave kite on the market and are now the most copied wave kite by other companies struggling to get a piece of the wave riding market.

I have this year switched over to North Dice as my prefered personal kites. I did this because they have excellent wave characteristics, to be fair, not as good as Ozone Reo's (but 98% IMHO), but the Dice also freestyles, has great bottom end power, boosts and loops and does most other things really well. A little more suitable to my extremely varied riding style.

I rode the Dice 9m and 7m in marginal conditions for both sizes in moderate surf, unstrapped and never had the slightest issue with luffing or over flying the kite even on the Nugget in light wind. The kite drifted beautifully in almost slack line situations.

If you can't keep the Dice in the air on a wave, I think you need to look at your technique not blame the kite. By the sound of it, you have the kite very high before you are starting to bottom turn downwind and haven't directed the kite before making your turn.

Each to their own opinion, but I reserve my right to differ from yours.

DM

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
15 Oct 2013 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

whose Paul?

mazdon
1196 posts
15 Oct 2013 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

i can't get past the fact that nath is riding an 8'11" at 70kg!!

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
15 Oct 2013 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Paul is me Eppo, I wrote a review as I have kited the Dice and Drifter back to back for 3 sessions on a twin tip and surfboard in 20-30 knots. I summarised by saying the Drifter was a better wave kite, that was also quite good for freestyle and that the Dice was a better freestyle kite that wasn't as good as the drifter in waves. I also wrote the Dice has more of a tendency to Hindenberg than the Drifter when you screw up. DM sells the Dice and didn't like my opinion on it and tried to blame it on my bad technique, even though he has no clue of my abilities, so I gave up and deleted it all. The whole reason I wrote the review to start, was because you wrote somewhere that we owe it to the dealer to write a review if we get free sessions on their kites.....Won't bother again

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
15 Oct 2013 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Oh okay. Fair enough, although I think, just write what you think and leave it at that. Hey maybe you could take some of the red thumbs I get lately on every post...Hilarious.

I suppose your opinion, DM's opinion, my opinion, that's what they are and all they are in the end and so are the red thumbs (an opinion in disguise...lol).

Don't take it too seriously

I haven't ridden the drifter so can't compare. But I have had, oh close to 35 or so sessions now on the dice from flat to double head high and I found it exceptional in the waves and would say wave riding is it's forte...Jumps well enough, floats well enough but nothing spectacular, unhooks stable and gives you a decent pull through the loops. But we were hitting some big swell towards the end of our exmouth trip a long way out on the downwinders without a care in the world...stupidly intuitive in the waves.

but hey maybe the drifter is the Bomb! That's the thing, unless you get out there and try lots of kites instead of sticking your head up your ass about one brand or one kite, then proclaiming other kites are sht, then how the fck would you know! Although as far as DM goes I value his opinion, always have.

As long as the drifter is the kite for you, that's what counts and that you are having a sht load of fun with ya buddies on the water. Good ya Paul! Just speak ya mind mate and others will too, all good.

Eppo

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
15 Oct 2013 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

All good Eppo, but sorry mate, got only green thumbs for my review, you will have to keep your reds for now....The Dice is a great kite, as is the drifter, I liked the rawness of the Dice as it suits my powered up style for freestyle, but whilst you are wave riding I prefer the Drifter. I am still 50/50 on which I overall prefer, could almost do with a quiver of both if money was no problem....sounds like you guys have been having some sick conditions...enjoy !!!

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
15 Oct 2013 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

No probs, yeh been blessed with some good wind lately. Mate reckon I'd be fine on a park, drifter, dice, whatever they are all good for the average joe like me.

One question if you can be bothered, did you try the dice on the wave setting or the wake style setting I have found there was a stark difference? Was totally sht on the surf setting for jumping, freeride, unhooking etc but was a damn site better for surfing and looping down the line?

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
15 Oct 2013 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Which is which?

I have to use the dice on the hard setting up here . Can't get enough responsiveness.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
15 Oct 2013 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

This is a question I also asked but no-one seemed to know,had a look on the North website and couldn't find a thing there, so just used it on the setting that it came with, which was the one labelled light, closest to the wing tip, didn't try the other setting as I generally prefer the setting closest to the wing tips on most kites.......If they labelled one freestyle/wake and one surf I would have investigated further.....which is which?

EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
15 Oct 2013 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Check 2min 40s

Spark
WA, 208 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paul1 said..

This is a question I also asked but no-one seemed to know,had a look on the North website and couldn't find a thing there, so just used it on the setting that it came with, which was the one labelled light, closest to the wing tip, didn't try the other setting as I generally prefer the setting closest to the wing tips on most kites.......If they labelled one freestyle/wake and one surf I would have investigated further.....which is which?

Paul, you might read this and go .... yeah yeah righto mate wank wank but honestly, it's better in the waves on the soft setting.

Didn't think those few centimeters on the wing tip between the 2 could make that much difference but it does.... some how.

I have a 12 9 6 combo

I leave the 12 on the hard because after all it's a 12 and fairly limiting in the waves anyway and change the other 2 depending on the conditions.

Had a session on the 9 the other day where it was a bit light to start with, took out the SB and kite on the soft setting for some waves. Wind picked up so I came in landed the kite, changed the setting and grabbed the TT for some boost's.

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like Paul was on the surf setting anyway, closest to the wingtip (furtherest from the center of the leading edge) So at least his comparison with the drifter was sound surf wise.

Paul rode them back to back which is as close to a true test for any individual rider as you can get, so I trust him. Maybe the drifter is really special in the waves. But I couldn't possible ask for more on the drift side as I have experienced with this kite. As I said honestly we could all be on any of the great kites out there, it comes down to power delivery and overall feel in the end. And I'm a big fan of the north and ozone feel (oh yeh and Airush....lol).

If you think the dice is a tad better for freestyle on this setting then put it on the other one and find out what it can really do. Its chalk and cheese.

I tend to ride it on the hard setting anyway for the more freeride thingy but I have had it on the surf soft closest wing tip thingy and as with most other kites it loops faster, turns faster but lacks much for boosting and powered looping.

Spark
WA, 208 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Sounds like Paul was on the surf setting anyway,

Whoops.... Mine came stock in the hard setting. never mind

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
15 Oct 2013 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

One of the most predictable and boring promotional vids I have seen for such a great product.

What we are saying is that it depends on the rider and conditions and it seems there is a difference.

Will play with soft setting a bit more in more wind

arloj
WA, 237 posts
15 Oct 2013 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Iv traded in my parks (which iv flown from 2011-2013) for the dice (cheers for the good deal Kim Gero surf an sail) the dice bar makes the naish bar look like it was made by a teenager. Low end isn't as good as the park - but stability wise the dice wins. In fact I had a hard time purposefully trying to choke the kite but couldn't . Soft setting was rubbish after flying it for 10mins for me so switched to hard - more response an better bar feel

Power wise the park has it but the dice is a lot more nicer/smooth to fly. Kite loops the dice wins, looping on the park is a scary feeling but the dice felt controlled. A nice little touch was the ease of pumping the kite, direct insert into the LE and the best pump iv seen which will be handy for you older guys. Deflate is also located on the end of a wingtip so rolling the kite becomes easier instead of doing one end an half grabbing on to the other side while pushing the air. Huge sturdy gauge surrounded in rubber makes the gauge last longer than 2 sessions, north suggest to inflate to 6psi

I weigh 70kg, shinn monk 130, 9m dice

eppo
WA, 9481 posts
15 Oct 2013 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
arloj said..

Iv traded in my parks (which iv flown from 2011-2013) for the dice (cheers for the good deal Kim Gero surf an sail) the dice bar makes the naish bar look like it was made by a teenager. Low end isn't as good as the park - but stability wise the dice wins. In fact I had a hard time purposefully trying to choke the kite but couldn't . Soft setting was rubbish after flying it for 10mins for me so switched to hard - more response an better bar feel

Power wise the park has it but the dice is a lot more nicer/smooth to fly. Kite loops the dice wins, looping on the park is a scary feeling but the dice felt controlled. A nice little touch was the ease of pumping the kite, direct insert into the LE and the best pump iv seen which will be handy for you older guys. Deflate is also located on the end of a wingtip so rolling the kite becomes easier instead of doing one end an half grabbing on to the other side while pushing the air. Huge sturdy gauge surrounded in rubber makes the gauge last longer than 2 sessions, north suggest to inflate to 6psi

I weigh 70kg, shinn monk 130, 9m dice

Nice combo of weight, board and kite there man.

Hey can I ask how many sessions on the dice you have had to date? Reason I ask is I to initially felt less low end remembering I have come of the power mad developing edge. But as I said 35 sessions or so in, I'm finding there is a knack to this kite to developing apparent wind and once you get it, it flies upwind hey. Surprisingly so.

I know what you mean about an inability to stall. I'm almost tempted to shorten the back lines at the bar ends, there seems to be some potential here but I don't want to mess with a good thing.

Nath
WA, 113 posts
16 Oct 2013 6:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mazdon said...
i can't get past the fact that nath is riding an 8'11" at 70kg!!

Ha ha , it was a really light wind day!

5'11" North Pro Series... but we did have some fun sessions on an 8'5" Fanatic ProWave - with a 1.9m paddle...

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
16 Oct 2013 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

May have to have another demo on the other settings if they reckon it makes that much difference, cheers.

shunter
WA, 441 posts
16 Oct 2013 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Will the "Hard" setting give more bottom end?

Had two sessions on the 12m, one under done and the other at 15-20 knots on Monday afternoon, Perth small waves. Great kite but would like a bit more bottom end out of the 12m

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"NORTH D I C E 2014" started by sci