Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
claverton
NSW, 165 posts
30 Apr 2017 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ramona said..
Not sure whether Everdure has the biocides in it still these days. I think it's just expensive thin epoxy now. Just slop cheap engine coolant, glycol over the area. The concentrated small tins older cars used is fine. Soaks into damp wood well. Wait till it dries before using epoxy.

Indeed Everdure is outrageously expensive. You could use any form of liquid epoxy, being mindful to use it heavily diluted in the first coats then reduce the dilution. The Norglass version was significantly cheaper than Everdure last time I looked. I think Everdure did indeed have some sort of biocide years ago, but doubtful there's a need for it given organisms unlikely to survive a soaking in epoxy.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 May 2017 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

waiting on a part to finish off the furler

southace
SA, 4776 posts
3 May 2017 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

You went pro furler? What part you missing is it second hand? The boat looks really neat. What was cruising speed when you launched?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
3 May 2017 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
You went pro furler? What part you missing is it second hand? The boat looks really neat. What was cruising speed when you launched?

Just need the pin that goes through the Ronstan toggle so the Profurl extended brackets mount up my pin is 1/2 inch and the profurl bracket reduces down to 10 mm or some thing

I took this photo off the web but the lower pin that that toggle is going through its a stepped pin a couple of nylocs nuts and a 2 nylon washers

Mine new South Ace bought it last year some time still got lots of things to mount yet once the furler is fitted

oldboyracer
NSW, 292 posts
4 May 2017 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Continued cutting holes in my boat, this time to replace the motor. Found a place for the fuel tank under the bunk. Resealed the windows which required ripping out part of the interior woodwork to get to the inside Perspex , they were double glazed. Maybe I should have just gone up north on my mates boat lol

woko
NSW, 1592 posts
4 May 2017 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

I read somewhere along the line that the best way to enjoy boating is to get a mate who has one

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
14 May 2017 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Flow coated the fridge cabinet side been crook as a dog so not much done

UncleBob
NSW, 1220 posts
14 May 2017 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

southace said..

Just need the pin that goes through the Ronstan toggle so the Profurl extended brackets mount up my pin is 1/2 inch and the profurl bracket reduces down to 10 mm or some thing

I took this photo off the web but the lower pin that that toggle is going through its a stepped pin a couple of nylocs nuts and a 2 nylon washers

Mine new South Ace bought it last year some time still got lots of things to mount yet once the furler is fitted

Same furler that I have on mine. May I suggest that you remove the four fasteners that hold the furler to the extended brackets, apply tefgel and then reinstall. You will wish you had later if you don't.

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
14 May 2017 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

southace
SA, 4776 posts
14 May 2017 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Got the old boat on the slip for 3 days $310 including Gerni blast. $240 for antifoul ....and no cost for labour. Had a fight with packing gland and a noisy bearing that I won't replace on this slipping date. Back in the water tomorow and a nice sail back to the berth!.... Love good boats!

oldboyracer
NSW, 292 posts
15 May 2017 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

it's finally out , so now the reconstruction of what was only a few weeks ago a usable yacht can begin.

Hopefully that's the last thing to be taken out.

oldboyracer
NSW, 292 posts
15 May 2017 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Not mine, but I consider it as part of my family. The yearly antifoul and tidy up of my mates boat over the weekend . 36 years I've been helping with this boat and I still get to crawl between the bilge keels Nice day sailer for round the bay. Old pic but it hasn't changed. she was built by his father 50 plus years ago, this boat is what got me into sailing all those years ago.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 May 2017 1:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldboyracer said..
Not mine, but I consider it as part of my family. The yearly antifoul and tidy up of my mates boat over the weekend . 36 years I've been helping with this boat and I still get to crawl between the bilge keels Nice day sailer for round the bay. Old pic but it hasn't changed. she was built by his father 50 plus years ago, this boat is what got me into sailing all those years ago.

Good strong keels for support old boy while your cleaning the prop

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 May 2017 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
woko said..
I read somewhere along the line that the best way to enjoy boating is to get a mate who has one

That's all right for you but what if you don't have any mates or you don't want any so they don't board you boat

woko
NSW, 1592 posts
16 May 2017 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

woko said..

That's all right for you but what if you don't have any mates or you don't want any so they don't board you boat

Well sir g in that case you'll be like the rest of us, patching, preparing, painting etc etc etc etc. it's about then that Any mates you do have seem to disappear recently have been busy end for ending all halyards and sheets. A win was I was starting to think that the main gaffsil had blown out, read a nasty curl in the leech ! But a redoing of head, throat, tack and a major rethink of the clew / out haul set up has once again gave me a nice if not old fashion airfoil

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
17 May 2017 5:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldboyracer said..

That's cool old boy

oldboyracer
NSW, 292 posts
18 May 2017 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

finally starting to go back together, new engine bed done thanks to my mate who's boat we did on the weekend. The advice from the engine installer was to put a packer under the old engine mount points to build it up and bolt a 10 mm aluminium strip on top. My mate decided it would not be strong eneogh if " you turn turtle on your trip" ( thanks for the vote of confidance) so he made up a hardwood infill the entire length of the old bed . Bolted and epoxied down , might do the job

Yes I know it needs a good clean and paint , 40 years of bilge sludge from where you can't reach is not pleasant to remove. This is after the second clean.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
18 May 2017 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldboyracer said..
finally starting to go back together, new engine bed done thanks to my mate who's boat we did on the weekend. The advice from the engine installer was to put a packer under the old engine mount points to build it up and bolt a 10 mm aluminium strip on top. My mate decided it would not be strong eneogh if " you turn turtle on your trip" ( thanks for the vote of confidance) so he made up a hardwood infill the entire length of the old bed . Bolted and epoxied down , might do the job

Yes I know it needs a good clean and paint , 40 years of bilge sludge from where you can't reach is not pleasant to remove. This is after the second clean.

Try some marine clean on your bilge scum old boy.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
19 May 2017 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldboyracer said..

That's a nice job old boy. While you are going to all the trouble of rebuilding the engine bed you might want to think about cages for the engine mounts. It would be nice to know that your engine couldn't break free in a knock down. I got so worried about mine after a few gales that I ended up lashing the engine down with dyneema but cages would have been so much better.

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
20 May 2017 12:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..
That's a nice job old boy. While you are going to all the trouble of rebuilding the engine bed you might want to think about cages for the engine mounts. It would be nice to know that your engine couldn't break free in a knock down. I got so worried about mine after a few gales that I ended up lashing the engine down with dyneema but cages would have been so much better.

Jeez Andy, you are talking Southern Ocean bullet proof there.

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
21 May 2017 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hopefully fixed leaking window
removed old hard gunk
cleaned
thick layer of butyl mastic
screwed together
all done!
actually very messy stuff to work with
maybe next window will be easier

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
Thumbs Up

removed old hard gunk
cleaned
screwed together
all done!

scaramouche
VIC, 190 posts
Thumbs Up

removed old hard gunk
cleaned
screwed together
all done!

MarcoP
QLD, 12 posts
21 May 2017 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldboyracer said..

Back in 1980/81 I sailed on Moreton Bay in 24' bilge-keeled gaffer that looked exactly like this. It was called Rebel, but my mad Kiwi mate who owned it said it was sailed around the world by an elderly couple before he purchased it. But then, he was prone to a bit of bull****. Must dig out some old photos and check. Maybe it was a popular design???

Jolene
WA, 1576 posts
21 May 2017 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

andy59 said..

Jeez Andy, you are talking Southern Ocean bullet proof there.

I think there are a few mid motor mounted ss 34s who's engine mounts look like an after thought?,, matches their 5 1/2 feet of 1" prop shaft,, fine for swan river race boats.

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
21 May 2017 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Got rid of the Jabsco belt driven toilet which kept snapping cogs and fitted a new Tecma toilet. Works a lot better and a lot quieter. Has yet to have the ultimate test.

boty
QLD, 685 posts
22 May 2017 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

much better head jode i think i recognize that lump of cedar

Chris 249
NSW, 3350 posts
24 May 2017 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

I didn't work ON my boat; we worked for my boat, sending yet another request for QBE to contact us about our insurance claim. We have had no written information on it since March!

At some stage, being ignored like that goes from being appalling customer service to downright rudeness.

UncleBob
NSW, 1220 posts
24 May 2017 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..
I didn't work ON my boat; we worked for my boat, sending yet another request for QBE to contact us about our insurance claim. We have had no written information on it since March!

At some stage, being ignored like that goes from being appalling customer service to downright rudeness.

Sometimes the insurance ombudsman is the only way to go! Tends to get their attention.

Chris 249
NSW, 3350 posts
24 May 2017 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

I've got to wait another few days until their internal processes are completed. I didn't start the clock ticking earlier because I was waiting for information from the assessor directly, as I had been told to do, therefore I didn't formally enter a complaint.

This is only the third insurance claim I have had in my life. GIO was involved in the only other one involving a boat and they were great, but they don't do moored boats.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin