Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
WazzaYotty
QLD, 302 posts
16 Apr 2017 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

HG02 said..
slept on it last night and thought as my boat is short on room I altered a few things
I decided to not go ahead with the Isotherm as room was a problem. So I bought a 12 volt /240 volt instant hot water system.
I figure as I have enough solar and wind gen I can afford a few watts wasted

I tried the water tank on the side of the hull and Im happy with how it will fit
It was originally made for trailer mud guards I intend to get some more as they can be fitted in many placed and should help balance the boat a bit. There only 30 litres but well made out of Queensland

The other thing I had a look at was the 240 volt instant hot water unit it was priced around$220 from memory and it would mean it your in a marina just plug it into 240 volt or add a sine wave inverter and you have instant hot water

Ordered my Anderson's 28's self tailors today . I'm determined to get her floating in the next week maybe a fortnight
Spent a few hours this afternoon cleaning the main cabin out at l;east I can walk around in it again
I reckon the 240 volt instants would be great in a house just turn your tap on and the water is hot no waiting for it to come down from the normal hot water system same as a shower

HG02 said..
slept on it last night and thought as my boat is short on room I altered a few things
I decided to not go ahead with the Isotherm as room was a problem. So I bought a 12 volt /240 volt instant hot water system.
I figure as I have enough solar and wind gen I can afford a few watts wasted

I tried the water tank on the side of the hull and Im happy with how it will fit
It was originally made for trailer mud guards I intend to get some more as they can be fitted in many placed and should help balance the boat a bit. There only 30 litres but well made out of Queensland

The other thing I had a look at was the 240 volt instant hot water unit it was priced around$220 from memory and it would mean it your in a marina just plug it into 240 volt or add a sine wave inverter and you have instant hot water

Ordered my Anderson's 28's self tailors today . I'm determined to get her floating in the next week maybe a fortnight
Spent a few hours this afternoon cleaning the main cabin out at l;east I can walk around in it again
I reckon the 240 volt instants would be great in a house just turn your tap on and the water is hot no waiting for it to come down from the normal hot water system same as a shower

How many amps do thos 12volt /240volt water heaters use? Anything to do with heating water will kill battery's real quick.

The Duoetta Mk 2 are rated as 12 volt, 300 Watt.....so 20-25 amp draw....thirsty buggers....watch the ammeter have a coronary when it kicks in.
The 240 volt, 4.5A side automatically kicks in if available when in a marina with shore power connected.
I had the earlier Duoetta and only used it in marinas as when I was cruising as I had a big 80 litre heat-exchange hot water tank that got seriously, hot seriously fast. On the rare occasions it wasn't hot enough I'd use the Duoetta....it was perfect and I just scheduled my showers when I was using the main engine for battery charging as I had a 80 amp alternator.
The Duoetta was a great piece of gear and easy to install. I'd recommend it unreservedly.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
16 Apr 2017 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Finished off the exhaust today
And most of the cooling system
I've just used the standard cooling
As I want to run and flush it out tomorrow

Donk107
TAS, 2446 posts
16 Apr 2017 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi HG

Is she still raw water cooled

Regards Don

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
16 Apr 2017 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

New curtains, new solar panels,light over galley will improve cooking

southace
SA, 4776 posts
16 Apr 2017 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
whiteout said..
New curtains, new solar panels,light over galley will improve cooking

I like the solar panels whiteout can you adjust the angles? I noticed over the past three days I only got full charge from 11am till 2 ish @24 degrees and partly cloudy? Hence low on battery's! Nothing beats shore power!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Apr 2017 5:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Donk107 said..
Hi HG

Is she still raw water cooled

Regards Don

At the moment Donk tomorrow I'm flushing with fresh water and Ill contemplate the fresh water I have every thing made just need to fit it and add some hosing.
Ill see what I think about it tomorrow after she been running I still have to fit some hose saddles for the PSS seal hose I've left it loose so I can run fresh water through it if I spin the prop up in gear so I can make sure the PSS carbon seal beads in and seals
Rather now then when she goes back in the water at least I wont have to keep a close eye on it when its back in the water if I test it now

I move the muffle back into the engine bay so the water level was lower coming from the engine pipe .
The main concern for me the way this Bukh is set up is if it doesn't start in a short amount of time the engine water pump will fill the muffler and then you may have the possibility of water entering the engine via the exhaust system.
Which in turn might hydraulic the head gasket . meaning water entering the cylinder head and when trying to compress it will blow a head gasket
The Vetus muffler does have a couple of unscrew able caps to drain if some thing like that happen.
What I'm trying to say here is if I tried to start the motor and it didn't start If I kept winding the starter motor over it would eventuality enter the motor and force the head gasket to blow out.
I have thought of adding a hose where the plug is on the Vetus muffler.
The Vetus anti siphon valve I dont think would help in the situation its more for stopping a siphon if you left the sea cock open

The only way I could make sure the start problem filling the cylinder is either make a new engine pipe so it higher than the outlet at the stern or add a small hose to the muffler plug and make the end of the hose below the height of the engine pipe at the flange bolted to the head.
But the problem then would be once started the exhaust pressure would force water out that plug and hose

In this photo you can see the two caps I'm on about
Previously I had fitted the muffler behind the mizzen bulk head where there is spare space but to me that raised the height of the water level inside the muffler.
I probably caused the DV 20 to blow a head gasket I removed a inlet side fuel line at some stage to help some one and was a little lazy bleeding the system just by winding the motor over to long and gathering water between the muffler and the head and bingo blow head gasket.
This same scenario may have happen to Andy on his S & S 34 after a filter change he did.
I'm not sure on that but its a possibility that was what happened and causing a blown head gasket not bled properly and with winding the motor over a few more turns and not starting filling the exhaust engine pipe and back filling the engine combustion chamber.
It was laziness on my part on a land based diesel it would not have been a problem .
The only proper solution really is make a new engine pipe higher than the outlet at the stern.
I may look at doing that in the future but my list is still very long
and it appears I keep adding to the bloody list.
Id like to sail this boat sooner than later .

someday
NSW, 97 posts
17 Apr 2017 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

An idea: if you have enough space underneath the engine with the wine glass hull shape, you may be able to custom fabricate a waterlift muffler down there in order to obtain the required distance between the engine exhaust outlet and the waterlift muffler.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
17 Apr 2017 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

she runs ok

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
17 Apr 2017 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

she runs ok

Jeez HG, that sounds nearly as good as my Yanmar and it is only 15 hp.

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
17 Apr 2017 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

What did I did to my sailing boat today??

I pulled the two strips of masking tape off each side of the "Delicious Red" stripe I have painted along both sides of my beautiful yacht. Man she looks flash now. Before and after shots coming soon.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Apr 2017 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
What did I did to my sailing boat today??

I pulled the two strips of masking tape off each side of the "Delicious Red" stripe I have painted along both sides of my beautiful yacht. Man she looks flash now. Before and after shots coming soon.

looking forward to that Cisco

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
18 Apr 2017 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

shes now ready of the water am tomorrom

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
18 Apr 2017 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

good one !!! well done HG congrats ! just don't let anyone smash a bottle on that paint job on the way into the drink !!!!

a great build !!!! and a joy to watch ,as you have documented it so well !!!

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
19 Apr 2017 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SandS said..
good one !!! well done HG congrats ! just don't let anyone smash a bottle on that paint job on the way into the drink !!!!

a great build !!!! and a joy to watch ,as you have documented it so well !!!

sorry I dont know how to Blog yet have not had the time so you guys had to suffer me
Still lots to do inside this winter

madmission
VIC, 234 posts
19 Apr 2017 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..
shes now ready of the water am tomorrom

Well done HG , may Kahn W will be smiling down on you

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
19 Apr 2017 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

how did you go is she in ?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Apr 2017 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

No leaks

Misty Morning Sands

Backed her in and no multiple insurance Claims yet

Then started clearing eve thing out of the boat and cleaning the deck more of that today Sands

Try and get a few things on deck painted

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Apr 2017 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Looks great H20

whiteout
QLD, 264 posts
20 Apr 2017 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Looks absolutely beautiful well done on your re-fit. Now go sailing and enjoy.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Apr 2017 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Bit of a rainy day today so I stripped the feral mouldy carpet added some wall paper and paint with a small amount of carpet trim.
Should now be easier to de-mould in the future.
Anyone have any hints to stop mattress foam going mouldy?

This is the textured final finish don't tell anyone I used wall paper!

dreamliner
NSW, 110 posts
20 Apr 2017 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

No leaks

Misty Morning Sands

Then started clearing eve thing out of the boat and cleaning the deck more of that today Sands

Interesting choice of antifoul colour , have you used this before , from what Ive seen on youtube the lighter grey and whites
tend to show up a dirty bottom and seem to show the slim more easily.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Apr 2017 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Its just for a few months as I need to finish off the interior and move batteries around and a few other things to balance boat and then mark the water line. I've a wedding to go to this winter so I'm hanging around for a while
Ill buy micro 66antifoul black and white and mix a grey out of the two

Just bought 6 tea towels for my curtain from spot light in a dark blue plus some blue elastic to tie them on

EC31
NSW, 490 posts
20 Apr 2017 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Looking very nice.
We recently renewed the 70's burnt orange cushions. A place up this way (Foam Booth) sells foam specifically for boats. No mould, water resistant. They did the cushions with a vinyl bottom so we could use them outside even when wet.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
20 Apr 2017 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HG02 said..

No leaks

Misty Morning Sands

congrats HG ! looks great ! looks like you got the water line pretty good ! now wack the sails on and have fun !!!!

slammin
QLD, 994 posts
20 Apr 2017 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Great news HG! Very happy for you.

Southace I've found the camping style flooring mats cut to size under the mattress work well. The mats are those medium density foam ones which interlock that come in a 4 pack about 2cm thick $20ish a pack. An added bonus is that they help provide an extra layer of padding, good for hip bones. The off cuts have numerous uses and have proven pretty UV protected.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
20 Apr 2017 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

H2o do you have running backstays or 3 backstays?

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
20 Apr 2017 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..
H2o do you have running backstays or 3 backstays?

just two Ill get a sprit level tomorrow and get the mast sitting properly I wanted to let the boat settle she's been on the hard for well over 14 months now
Ill hang my 32 inch TV tomorrow it will pivot out of the way on a couple of Bunnings gate hinges when not in use.
Ill HDMI my PC to it so I can annoy people

cisco
QLD, 12336 posts
20 Apr 2017 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Congrats on the relaunch HG. Looking good.

Now did you say you are going to use a spirit level on the boat tomorrow and the boat is in the water??

Come on mate. You know that is silly.

oldboyracer
NSW, 292 posts
21 Apr 2017 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

I have been following your progress enviously,she is looking great . I've managed to remove all the 1980s carpet from the back cabin and patch 27 holes in the deck above with epoxy while you rebuilt a complete yacht.

HG02
VIC, 5814 posts
21 Apr 2017 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..
Congrats on the relaunch HG. Looking good.

Now did you say you are going to use a spirit level on the boat tomorrow and the boat is in the water??

Come on mate. You know that is silly.

I need to sort out my rigging Cisco so Ill lay a sprit level along the mast and tweak the rigging screws
When the boat was on the hard it wasn't absolutely level I probably need to add some rake and make sure the mast not learning starboard or port I. I have not had the time to see yet been raining most of today.
Even so I need to fit a few more things inside before I have my boat balanced and sitting at the moment its bow heavy.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin