Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Where did you surf today?

Created by Simondo > 9 months ago, 23 Mar 2013
climber
NSW, 1125 posts
23 Mar 2014 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Gentlemen hours session...only really one or two local banks firing but good when on. good solid 3-4ft. (Seems to be my size limit too..I struggle on the drops if bigger..any tips from all you pros out there) Wind, light NE, got on it and made it bumpy...but fun when on.

Got out of the water after two hours as there was TO MUCH fish life in the water...garfish being smashed by tailor every where...just got too spooky with garfish being eaten right next to you and baitfish jumping out of the water in front on you on take off. Dolphins moved in and then we all stated seeing "grey shapes" in the wave...enough was enough for the mind of this bloke.

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
23 Mar 2014 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
climber said..

Gentlemen hours session...only really one or two local banks firing but good when on. good solid 3-4ft. (Seems to be my size limit too..I struggle on the drops if bigger..any tips from all you pros out there) Wind, light NE, got on it and made it bumpy...but fun when on.

Got out of the water after two hours as there was TO MUCH fish life in the water...garfish being smashed by tailor every where...just got too spooky with garfish being eaten right next to you and baitfish jumping out of the water in front on you on take off. Dolphins moved in and then we all stated seeing "grey shapes" in the wave...enough was enough for the mind of this bloke.

Had a similar experience here last Wednesday night must have had 100 -200 dolphins jumping and feeding all along the beach -quite an unreal experience .

I am no expert and I rarely longboard these days but on the drop problem ,try and take off a bit sideways probably to your forehand side to make it easier . getting your foot back over the tail pad will give you more control .Also like everything it all comes down to time on the water , the more you do it the easier it gets

Hopefully some pros will give me some tips on my tips

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
23 Mar 2014 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Have had a massive amount of waves since last week. Only one bad surf at a hostile point....I now avoid any tryhard d1ckhead with a mad Huey sticker. These nobs make the unit bogan cool. Try and turn the point into the north shore....pfffft make me laugh

Besides that the swell has been not massive,but has a lot of push in it,you get caught inside and you will get worked....but so fast and clean,just so many fun waves

Climber from a broken kook....I find the on the bigger beachies to keep my knees bent more than usual. Seems to help with the late drop/hollow ones and allows me to set up for the wave. More keeps my centre of balance

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
23 Mar 2014 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

Climber from a broken kook....I find the on the bigger beachies to keep my knees bent more than usual. Seems to help with the late drop/hollow ones and allows me to set up for the wave. More keeps my centre of balance

Thanks Chrispy (and TD)..yea had a think about it and what it used to take in other sports..lower the centre of gravity, so went out this arvo..yep its bigger. First wave made the drop....farkin stoked, along the face, great bottom turn, into the lip, bottom turn...drive down the line..over the top and off...bloody filth..smillin all the way
Next wave..made the drop..so good so far..bottom turn...all good...close out..bummer and get hammered....home time So still some learning to do
Thanks for the input to all you guys and girls... been surfing off an on since 2010, (I remember when I bought my first mal..the single fin 4 yrs ago next week),didn't surf in 2012 at all, but really hooked on it late last year....bloody lovin it

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
23 Mar 2014 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Surf is absolutely pumping here this evening. Some chunky ones with loads of push resulted in several smashings for me Great fun.

Climber - the best advice I ever got was to put your weight on your front foot and lean forward. Seems a bit weird on a late drop but its very similar to snowboarding. If you keep your front foot firmly planted then your board will follow. If you put all your weight backwards you not be able to extend out of your bottom turn and will be well behind. If you are leaning forward and into your turn you can just extend as you launch your bottom turn and before you know it you will be flying past the first section.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
23 Mar 2014 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said...
Surf is absolutely pumping here this evening. Some chunky ones with loads of push resulted in several smashings for me Great fun.

Climber - the best advice I ever got was to put your weight on your front foot and lean forward. Seems a bit weird on a late drop but its very similar to snowboarding. If you keep your front foot firmly planted then your board will follow. If you put all your weight backwards you not be able to extend out of your bottom turn and will be well behind. If you are leaning forward and into your turn you can just extend as you launch your bottom turn and before you know it you will be flying past the first section.

I will.differ....front foot like your dropping into a half pipe to me.....on my backhand I can put as much weight as I want into it....that is just me.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
23 Mar 2014 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

Ted the Kiwi said...

I will.differ....front foot like your dropping into a halfpenny to me.....on my backhand I can put as much weight as I want into it....that is just me.

I must be stupid' but how is that different from what ted said?

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
23 Mar 2014 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Just been for a look bigger surf in the spa last night , next week .....

Funny in surfing how you can develop bad habits , such as not bending your knees , or not putting your back foot back ,and because it is such an individual sport you get hammered on a wave which you would normally make and are left wondering why .Have found the go- pro pretty useful in the past to iron out my bad habits when my surfing goes to sh.t ( though the sh-t is constant the level of it varies from week to week )

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
23 Mar 2014 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said...
chrispy said..

Ted the Kiwi said...

I will.differ....front foot like your dropping into a halfpenny to me.....on my backhand I can put as much weight as I want into it....that is just me.

I must be stupid' but how is that different from what ted said?

You are stupid because I said it was different...
I was more on the backhand side of things..
Now reading,it yep snowboard and halfpipe, agree,me dumb not reading or thinking it through....backhand, Im right,well how I surf I am anyway

thePup
13831 posts
23 Mar 2014 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

almost a week and nuffin' ..... feck feck feck feck ..... & feck

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
23 Mar 2014 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

We didn't get the swell down here but there was the odd wave coming through. It was packed and no where near as good shaped as it was through the week. It was better than being at work though

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
23 Mar 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..

almost a week and nuffin' ..... feck feck feck feck ..... & feck

And this coming week looks no better

MickPC
8266 posts
23 Mar 2014 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

^Check swell period's, could be a little something soon *fingers crossed*

thePup
13831 posts
23 Mar 2014 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Oh I'm looking alright brother Michael - farken hanging

pete53
NSW, 243 posts
24 Mar 2014 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Last resort pleasant surprise. An open beach often bumpy and messy with any swell rather than being in anyway decent was good Sat good n mighty fine Sun. Particularly good when it was the last stop before heading home Sat . 5 out sat n 4 SUPS . Few more Sun (SUP s have to tell their mates) still pretty reasonable crowd wise. There was more in the coffee shop who didn't get wet cause they didn't bother looking past their regular spot.i ain't telling em!

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
24 Mar 2014 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Very disappointing this morning after last nights epic session. Off to work instead.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
24 Mar 2014 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said...
Very disappointing this morning after last nights epic session. Off to work instead.

My morning made up.for yours then ted....I'm glad it was not as big as predicted,as a few sets had me scratching for the horizon as it was....great fun

In saying that,I'm still at a loss for how they judge size...

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
24 Mar 2014 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

BIG here...really close to out of control on the beach so enjoyed a good coffee...surfed twice yesterday and was feeling it...hopefully out for an arvo sess though

@chrispy...sounds like you scored today

thePup
13831 posts
24 Mar 2014 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

You baaaaaaastards

MickPC
8266 posts
24 Mar 2014 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

^ +1

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
24 Mar 2014 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..

My morning made up.for yours then ted....I'm glad it was not as big as predicted,as a few sets had me scratching for the horizon as it was....great fun

In saying that,I'm still at a loss for how they judge size...

Good to hear someone has been getting some good ones. Can not wait to be back up that way and stealing some off ya

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
24 Mar 2014 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..

That would be nice, the kids and i have snorkelled a local the last three nights

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
24 Mar 2014 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Much better down here today. Easy 3 foot and at times bigger east swell but theres a fair bit of south in it now. Went at 2pm and surfed a reef on my belly board. Got plenty and had heaps of fun and uncrowded.

MickPC
8266 posts
24 Mar 2014 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

thePup said..

That would be nice, the kids and i have snorkelled a local the last three nights

Some nice snorkling up that way, used to be heaps of Abs...did a lot of snorkling & surfing up between Mindarie & Mullaloo through the 90's when I'd pop up & stay at the olds in Beaumaris.

...But yeah...almighty swell direction change might help greatly for Pup & I also

thePup
13831 posts
24 Mar 2014 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

sssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh Mick

asea
NSW, 5510 posts
24 Mar 2014 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..

Mick give the Pup nothing he could be deserting you

thePup
13831 posts
24 Mar 2014 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hey looks like I got Capital Gains tax heading my way .... farken bastards ..... might have to sell up within 2 years anyway Brother Asea (king of 100's of gold coast smoking hot chicks with wet T-Shirts drooooooooool !!!!!!) ..... plane flight for property sussing here I come

asea
NSW, 5510 posts
24 Mar 2014 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..

Hey looks like I got Capital Gains tax heading my way .... farken bastards ..... might have to sell up within 2 years anyway Brother Asea (king of 100's of gold coast smoking hot chicks with wet T-Shirts drooooooooool !!!!!!) ..... plane flight for property sussing here I come

Warning to all Qld/Nth NSW parents lock up you're daughters,there will be a PUP on the loose.

thePup
13831 posts
24 Mar 2014 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
asea said..

thePup said..

Warning to all Qld/Nth NSW parents lock up you're daughters,there will be a PUP on the loose.

hmmmmm now let me see .... a bottle of Bear or 12 stubs of full strength and 7 drop ins PLUS 3 wickedly blatant snakies .... yep that should do the first sesh with you Prez

MickPC
8266 posts
24 Mar 2014 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
asea said..

thePup said..

Mick give the Pup nothing he could be deserting you

Yep he's been talking about it for a long time.....we'll be heading to the same stretch of Coast (Ballina) one day too hopefully

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Where did you surf today?" started by Simondo