Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Where did you surf today?

Created by Simondo > 9 months ago, 23 Mar 2013
thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
31 Dec 2015 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

4 foot at my preferred go to wave. Only 8 guys. Swapped boards with a bloke because he said I was making it look easy on the 8 footer and it must have been the board, not him. Knowing my fitness and skill level, I agreed and handed it over. Turned out it was him. kept sitting wide and when I pointed out where he was sitting was where the big ones broke, he was adamant he just wanted to hang there. Oh well. Got a few on his Firewire Hellfire (which felt too loose and flappy for me) then swapped back.

Best waves I have had for six weeks.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
31 Dec 2015 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..

Stoked for ya.

Chrispy - hang in there champ - you know this is the worst time of the year to judge anything.

Mac - hope you feeling better

MickPC
8266 posts
31 Dec 2015 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..
4 foot at my preferred go to wave. Only 8 guys. Swapped boards with a bloke because he said I was making it look easy on the 8 footer and it must have been the board, not him. Knowing my fitness and skill level, I agreed and handed it over. Turned out it was him. kept sitting wide and when I pointed out where he was sitting was where the big ones broke, he was adamant he just wanted to hang there. Oh well. Got a few on his Firewire Hellfire (which felt too loose and flappy for me) then swapped back.

Hellfire is a loose board, some people say its a bit skatey but I love those deep double concaves when your turning off the bottom. So your back home? I might head down next week for a few days...probably surf windies, Yalls & he who parts the waters

Had fun the last few days here, couple of days on the SB & then back on the log today. Surfed pretty much on my own the last couple of days & then with 4 other guys today sitting way too deep hassling each other. Fairly strong 15 knt winds have kept people away, I'm stoked they must have forgotten its summer & anything over waist high should be considered as going off ...didn't wanna post here & jinx it or motivate people haha

Had a bit of a tragedy on boxing day. I bought 4 sets of surf racks. 4th one was a separate order & got 6mm instead of 10mm ramsets for the hook up. Then due to the postition I set it up, along side my car. My most difficult boards to swing around the garage ended up on that rack. My 666 & log. One side didn't hold after 9 months use & dropped the boards on their tails. 2 decent size epoxy ding repairs, but better the tails than the nose I spose, all fixed now. Got a couple of 230mm x 10mm bolts right through the brick wall on the top holes to hold the farkers up now. Should do the trick haha

Hope yuz have a great New Years boys

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
1 Jan 2016 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Not long home from night shift and waiting for the tide to come up a bit. Happy new year to all

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
1 Jan 2016 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Happy New Year!

Just saw a surf cam of snapper and it looks like its going off its tits! Enjoy if you get it!

Me ill just keep plugging away at work!

Happy New Year! May you all be blessed with epic sessions throughout 2016.

Tractorguy
TAS, 542 posts
1 Jan 2016 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

HAd the last two arvos surfing Granites with all my mates waist to shoulder with a few bigger ones every 20 minutes. Good fun on the log, most peeps were underdone in the volume dept so made it pretty easy to compete. Getting the camper ready for 3 weeks of island fun from Sat. Happy new year.

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
1 Jan 2016 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Thought I'd go a bit early and it was the right move. Nice waist to shoulder high peaks and not crowded. Plenty of the local boys out there which was good. Some really nice shaped waves and plenty of them. Good way to start the new year. Looking like we will get some decent swell around Sunday. Seems like QLD is already getting it.

Cobra
9106 posts
1 Jan 2016 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

i took the 666 out for a surf today on full waist hi waves with 4 hours sleep and still burping bundy
i broke a $500 paddle on the fifth wave.
went home and got the 10' redline then had a very nice surf.

I'm praying the wind won't swing NW so the swells there tomorrow.

MickPC
8266 posts
1 Jan 2016 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Snapped a $500 paddle geez azz ya poor bugger

Took my 666 out for a paddle. Was a little cool this morning so avoided getting wet which was easy coz there weren't any waves. Plenty of cross shore though...wishing I was at Granites with Tractorguy, love that break. I wonder if the porcelin throne dunny with the amazing view is still there

CrossStep
SA, 210 posts
1 Jan 2016 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Nowhere today, but took the son out for a tandem surf yesterday - he loved it. Also face to the conclusion that I only like riding my board as a single fin.

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
1 Jan 2016 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Granites is a great wave.

I'm glad you karma came good, but the paddle was annoying I bet.

I surfed a dropping 3-4 reefie. Lefts and rights. I hadn't been on the longboard in any size for a while so was falling off the bigger ones when I cutback into the foam, or when leaning back and trying to turn it like a shortboard in the pocket. Good fun. Pretty uncrowded too (8-14 peeps).

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
1 Jan 2016 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Surfed a crappy central coast Beachie. 2 ft close outs with lots of back wash. Caught 3 average waves and called it a day. Nice swim I will think of it on reflection Tom morning will be doing a dawn raid on my old local treasure. Think it will be pretty good - but not getting too excited.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
1 Jan 2016 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..
Surfed a crappy central coast Beachie. 2 ft close outs with lots of back wash. Caught 3 average waves and called it a day. Nice swim I will think of it on reflection Tom morning will be doing a dawn raid on my old local treasure. Think it will be pretty good - but not getting too excited.

Sound like the Trigg Scarbough stretch at the moment lol

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
1 Jan 2016 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

Ted the Kiwi said..

Really Darth, 2 foot, you wish it was that big

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
1 Jan 2016 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

DARTH said..

Ted the Kiwi said..

Really Darth, 2 foot, you wish it was that big

Was more thinking about the close out and back wash

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
1 Jan 2016 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

We've got some heavy surf and conditions here atm,big swell and strong winds.

Sadly a 34 year old surfer who went missing yesterday body was found 20 k
from where he entered the surf.

Also today an ironman broke his neck in two places surfing this morning,he is
lucky he should make a full recovery and the surf is going to be bigger tomorrow.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
2 Jan 2016 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Heavy. Thoughts go out to the family. If it's big and chunky make sure you are in reasonable condition before paddling out.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
2 Jan 2016 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

2.5 hours of small wedges this morning. Some nice shape at times. Think it will be cranking shortly as some nice sets were just starting to hit as we exited the water. Looks like some promising banks on beach we surfed this morning. Good to be back in the old hood.

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
2 Jan 2016 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
2 Jan 2016 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said...

looks like it's pumping Mac .

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
2 Jan 2016 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Double overhead mate, one longboarder out its just too wild to surf a longboard here when it's like this, I was looking for LL but no show. He must have been at d-bah on his shortboard because its conditions like this he rides them.

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
2 Jan 2016 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

Can you sit further down point Mac ? No surfing for me today . In Sydney for the day but tomorrow is looking good .

Surf69
WA, 883 posts
2 Jan 2016 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Great to see you guys are getting some swell and good waves Macaha, devastating the poor bloke has lost his life and another injured. Hope everyone stays safe.

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
2 Jan 2016 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smh said..
Can you sit further down point Mac ? No surfing for me today . In Sydney for the day but tomorrow is looking good .

No sitting around mate,the problem the sweep will get you also the guy who takes off up the line rides it all the way in unless he falls which is rare,the waves are machine like.I didn't see one guy drop in today which was also rare.

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
2 Jan 2016 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Kirra doing its thing

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
2 Jan 2016 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Cobra
9106 posts
2 Jan 2016 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

good stuff mac the swell is to south of us ,,fraser stops it.

noticed alex head had a nice wave rolling in.

nothing here today,back to waiting for another low.

enjoy it boys.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
2 Jan 2016 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said...
Kirra doing its thing

That looks like a New Years to remember

Macaha
QLD, 21887 posts
2 Jan 2016 5:06PM