Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
mevsta
3 posts
9 Oct 2012 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

oh man thats heavy...please tell me its "only" a killer whale. Heard of a pointer doin that at lefties a few years back.

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
9 Oct 2012 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Dawn Patrol said...
Wtf is that legit? ^

Dunno DP, from faceberk page of a lifeguard from Port Macquarie NSW. Doesn't look shopped though.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
9 Oct 2012 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

smicko said...
Dawn Patrol said...
Wtf is that legit? ^

Dunno DP, from faceberk page of a lifeguard from Port Macquarie NSW. Doesn't look shopped though.

We are gone now, sharks surfing

Mdsurf
WA, 25 posts
9 Oct 2012 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone get the early in today? Looks like the swell didn't jump as much as expected yet on the rotto buoys, down south is showing 10ft + sets, big day

swalkington
WA, 401 posts
9 Oct 2012 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

fun this morning. summer crowds starting.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
9 Oct 2012 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Just came back from a surf check... Trigg to Mullaloo. Lots of swell coming through, but Trigg is not handling it... basically the low tide and stiff offshore it's just a long over head close-out through third car park... and seconds is full of rip and backwash.

Oh, and there's plenty of people too...

Northern reefies are very rocky... and some spots are full of weed.

I'm going back down early arvo with fingers crossed.

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
9 Oct 2012 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Mdsurf said...
Anyone get the early in today? Looks like the swell didn't jump as much as expected yet on the rotto buoys, down south is showing 10ft + sets, big day

CROWDED.

Did the early early at a metro beachie and the carpark was packed before the sun came up.

Between the paddle battles for every wave, the drop ins, the kooks ditching their boards and constantly trying to dodge those paddling out via the shortest route from the beach, this mornings surf was really frustrating.

surferstu
1011 posts
9 Oct 2012 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

LateStarter said...
Mdsurf said...

CROWDED.

Did the early early at a metro beachie and the carpark was packed before the sun came up.

Between the paddle battles for every wave, the drop ins, the kooks ditching their boards and constantly trying to dodge those paddling out via the shortest route from the beach, this mornings surf was really frustrating.

So business as usual then

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
9 Oct 2012 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Great Pic Smicko. I say Orca but would still scare the brown out of me

Okay so i get why people red me and my opinions, and i get Smickos red,(dont agree with it but i understand some people prefer to think the ocean is empty) but why are we now getting reds on comments that are nothing. Like GPA or Swalk's above comments

Is it because they mentioned the Tr-- word or just someone poking fun

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
9 Oct 2012 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Zuke said...
Legion will be out every day ...

Legion was out every day, in fact twice most days. But Legion's back early due to a less-than-favourable weather forecast at the end. Wednesday looked good but always had to be back before that anyway.

Legion scored, as usual. A few days of marginal waves, but a three day run of 4'+. Including a morning of super low tide with regular 4' sets, occasional 5' sets and the odd 6'er. And for some reason (I know the reason), there were only ever between 1 and 3 other people out all morning.

Place is absolutely infested with SUPs now. More than shortboarders in smaller conditions or fuller tide. Like 10+ most days. Luckily they sit wide or down the line, but a lot of them are clueless. Pretty sure they're the wind crew who SUP/wind morning/afternoon.

Legion got in a very physical and heated discussion with one SUP. Amusing.

On another occasion another one pissed me off by dropping in (of sorts) on three waves before I paddled in in disgust. Watched him do the same to others. I'd already said something, but he ignored it. What do you say to someone who has no idea? It wasn't (I think) malice, it was just ignorance.

Place has no manners or etiquette. It's very frustrating at < 4', when everyone's a hero.

Chatted to a few other SUP guys who obviously had water background, no problem with them.

Surfing standard is very low at this time of year. One guy from town who I've seen/chatted to before is about the only standout. He's got it fully sussed.

The best day I was highly successful in working out some stuff that had bothered me last trip (i.e. wave selection and taking off over draining reef from deep down the line). Right when I thought I had it wired I got thrashed for my overconfidence, bounced off the bottom, but the 20+ good ones far outweighed the one mistake. Some free-diving breathing exercises beforehand paid dividends.

Also got several afternoons in howling onshore at my favourite-in-the-world howling onshore reef, F_________ in front. So predictable and so high-performance.

Maybe some photos to come. There was a kid on the beach who does some sort of semi-pro photography, said he might've got some shots.

Oh yeah, saw Katana's red wood/black rails longboard. English guy? Friendly? Or at least a very similar board.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
9 Oct 2012 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said...
... i get Smickos red ...

People red thumb him as a matter of course. A bit like a while back people would just fire away reds at OG SUP on their forum on every single post he did, for no reason at all (he actually seems like a nice, harmless, stoked guy). I think smicko think's it's me for some reason, but I'm not a thumb user. It's funny though, bit like the OG SUP thing was funny. It didn't bother him, I'm sure it doesn't bother smicko either.

fozzy
SA, 501 posts
9 Oct 2012 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

fozzy wants to know why Legion is referring to himself in the third person.

Mdsurf
WA, 25 posts
9 Oct 2012 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

LateStarter said...
Mdsurf said...

CROWDED.

I had a feeling that'd be the case maybe lucky I had to end up missing it. The first day the swell picks up after an average run it's bloody packed can't believe it was packed before sunrise,

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
9 Oct 2012 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

fozzy said...
fozzy wants to know why Legion is referring to himself in the third person.

Legion's not sure. Just responding to Zuke in kind, I guess.

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
9 Oct 2012 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

thought it would be better today, closeouts on the bigger sets but still some fun to be had

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
9 Oct 2012 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Did ya mate get that cray?

bakesy said...
thought it would be better today, closeouts on the bigger sets but still some fun to be had

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
9 Oct 2012 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

swalkington said...

Looks nice Sam, was it handling the swell or a bit straight?
Banks looked about as good as I've seen them for a very long time a few weeks ago.....

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
9 Oct 2012 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Legion said...
jbshack said...

People red thumb him as a matter of course. A bit like a while back people would just fire away reds at OG SUP on their forum on every single post he did, for no reason at all (he actually seems like a nice, harmless, stoked guy). I think smicko think's it's me for some reason, but I'm not a thumb user. It's funny though, bit like the OG SUP thing was funny. It didn't bother him, I'm sure it doesn't bother smicko either.

Not in the slightest Legion. And there's a green for ya.

katana
WA, 644 posts
9 Oct 2012 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

never seen crowds like that at scabs midweek beforei recon they were actually affecting the waves shape

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
9 Oct 2012 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh crowds were terrible at trigg today.

School holidays...

After being frustrated, I went and sat in a big rip and played the paddling/waiting game. After a while got an awesome one then went in.

What do people do with snakes. I'm sick of having right of way, and then someone paddles around me and tries calling off on the inside. Seems kinda rude. I know I could go deeper, but when I'm already in a good spot with right of way, I'm not going to go too deep to reduce my chances of making the wave.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
9 Oct 2012 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

smicko said...
Legion said...
jbshack said...

People red thumb him as a matter of course. A bit like a while back people would just fire away reds at OG SUP on their forum on every single post he did, for no reason at all (he actually seems like a nice, harmless, stoked guy). I think smicko thinks it's me for some reason, but I'm not a thumb user. It's funny though, bit like the OG SUP thing was funny. It didn't bother him, I'm sure it doesn't bother smicko either.

Not in the slightest Legion. And there's a green for ya.

To clarify i meant i get Smicko's red as in its a big fishy and people would click saying they don't like it. I agree they don't seem to bother most but was just curious as to why the other plan old, for no obvious reason

Was bored and trying to find a consistency in it all

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
9 Oct 2012 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

1:00pm update: Super low tide, and the rips at TSCP are worse than at 8:00am... rocks a'plenty at the other spots... my second go-to break is full of weed and it has spread further down the beach since this morning... looks as tho' the southerly is about to come in... gentle white-caps starting.

Might be a LAGO today for those that time it right...

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
9 Oct 2012 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Dawn Patrol said...What do people do with snakes. I'm sick of having right of way, and then someone paddles around me and tries calling off on the inside. Seems kinda rude. I know I could go deeper, but when I'm already in a good spot with right of way, I'm not going to go too deep to reduce my chances of making the wave.

Depends on a complex, ever-changing list of factors.

How good are you/is the other person?
Any locals' rights?
How tough are you/is the other person?
How old are you/is the other person?
Willing to fight?
Willing to talk?
Willing to drop in?
Willing to sacrifice a wave or session?
What type of wave?
What type of equipment are you both on?
Do you have a short fuse?

There are answers to all these questions, and the combination of answers will give you an applicable response (which might not be the right one).

I faced this situation recently (as alluded to) and it got a bit out of hand. Nothing was resolved and it made for an awkward several days by the feel of it. But I felt a point had to be made.

Of course, I'm always right no matter what the situation entails ...

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
9 Oct 2012 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

I wonder if it is an age thing? are there old snakes out there? Surfed my usual spot this morning with 7 others (bit of a crowd) some I knew some I got to know today, waves were shared but if you didn't go you just called someone in or sat back for a couple, average age was 30'ish. Just got back from a very popular spot, knew a few crew but the rest were strangers to me, same vibe though with crew sharing, calling in or asking if you wanted the wave, makes for a great session. Is it impossible to think that this could happen everywhere?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
9 Oct 2012 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

GPA said...
1:00pm update: Super low tide, and the rips at TSCP are worse than at 8:00am... rocks a'plenty at the other spots... my second go-to break is full of weed and it has spread further down the beach since this morning... looks as tho' the southerly is about to come in... gentle white-caps starting.

I just did a Boat test out of Ocean Reef and was actually surprised at the swell. GPA the novelty break was working to the north. Bit of weed and wind was up but a grom was heading in with a board

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
9 Oct 2012 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said...
GPA said...

I just did a Boat test out of Ocean Reef and was actually suprisd at the swell. GPA the novelty break was working to the north. Bit of weed and wind was up but a grom was heading in with a board

Would have been a bit bumpy ay JB?

swalkington
WA, 401 posts
9 Oct 2012 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

smicko said...
swalkington said...

Looks nice Sam, was it handling the swell or a bit straight?
Banks looked about as good as I've seen them for a very long time a few weeks ago.....

usual story smicko - lots of close outs and the odd one that held up. beautiful conditions though.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
9 Oct 2012 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said...

GPA the novelty break was working to the north. Bit of weed and wind was up but a grom was heading in with a board

Yeah - I stood there watching it for a good 20min, but it was much smaller than I expected and it was full of weed - not just in shore, but right at out the back... I reckon they were getting 20m of clear water before hitting weed soup

Torch
WA, 521 posts
9 Oct 2012 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

I went to scabs today and thought the crowds were pretty good, first surf in 4 weeks and had a peak to my own for about 30 min. I was expecting groms everywhere so it was a pleasant surprise

mocha1
WA, 933 posts
9 Oct 2012 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

I wonder if it is an age thing? are there old snakes out there? Surfed my usual spot this morning with 7 others (bit of a crowd) some I knew some I got to know today, waves were shared but if you didn't go you just called someone in or sat back for a couple, average age was 30'ish. Just got back from a very popular spot, knew a few crew but the rest were strangers to me, same vibe though with crew sharing, calling in or asking if you wanted the wave, makes for a great session. Is it impossible to think that this could happen everywhere?

Mate happens most places when older crew are out, weve got over the gotta have every wave thing and are stoked to see a mate catch a wave.
In Lombok when the crew was older the pecking order and turn taking was in, as soon a younger crew paddled out its like the HEAT clock is on. Same at Balangan and Kuta beachies n reefs, mellow =ages 30+ COMP/HEAT=18-30yrs.
Although I still enjoy a bit of snake action on a mates wave.... Dropin comp/count can be good fun

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie