Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
bakesy
WA, 682 posts
21 Feb 2013 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

do you have to be a member to vote? If not then that explains it because I'm pretty sure you have to sign up to post.

Zuke
901 posts
21 Feb 2013 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ I agree about the reds but back on topic.

Killbot
WA, 201 posts
21 Feb 2013 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Zuke said...

Nice one mate, was that yesterday as well?

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
21 Feb 2013 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

bakesy said...
do you have to be a member to vote? If not then that explains it because I'm pretty sure you have to sign up to post.

Yes you do.

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
21 Feb 2013 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

LateStarter said...

Definately not too bad for a hot summer afternoon in Perth...

Looks like quite a few people read this forum....

Zuke
901 posts
21 Feb 2013 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Killbot said...
Zuke said...

Thanks Killbot but that was today, I couldn't help myself. (But now I'm seriously shattered)

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
21 Feb 2013 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Just got a couple of nice ones, so stoked

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
21 Feb 2013 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Zuke said...
Killbot said...
Zuke said...

Thanks Killbot but that was today, I couldn't help myself. (But now I'm seriously shattered)

Do you work

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
21 Feb 2013 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

I had a wicked surf with my kids today after work. We had some very nice wedges and waves running along the beach. Great waves being had by all

Surf was packed but we were all locals so heaps of banter and cheering, my son and i stayed till dark and what a buzz

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
21 Feb 2013 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

same JB, probably could of got a few at another spot but couldn't resist as the first thing they said after getting home was "can we go for a surf?" even saw a dude with his 2 year old clinging to his neck as he rode a few on the inside with him, awesome stuff, worried Mum was on the shoreline watching on! On the negative side the arse clowns ripping up our beach with excavators spilled diesel into the ocean, rank smell that had everyone a bit bummed, contacted the council and they already knew about it

Indodreaming
379 posts
21 Feb 2013 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Got to move the sand onwards but should have been set up as permanent bypass system when the beach I assume you are talking about was created.

Could be an all time right hander there with a certain famous body board wave continuing to run down the beach without the crazy return groyne they put in.

Lost a wave, got a wave and then the return went in and wave went again.

Such a shame as it is a swell magnet

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
22 Feb 2013 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

spot on Indo, could be amazing. A permanent pump station is the way to go according to a few knowledgeable locals, it's election time so a few crew have put it to the elected member, we'll see what happens...

Zuke
901 posts
22 Feb 2013 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said...

Do you work

Yes, but not Monday to Friday 9-5. I wouldn't earn anywhere near what you do but I have a good work/life balance that is very important to me. I wouldn't usually go two days in a row either but I could see the second day was going to be on and I went with a fellow 'breezer to share the stoke which was great.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
22 Feb 2013 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^
Great work zuke....all falls in a heap when you have kids though.

Killbot
WA, 201 posts
22 Feb 2013 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Ctngoodvibes said...
^^^^^

How do you know he doesn't?

Buster fin
WA, 2575 posts
22 Feb 2013 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Killbot said...
Ctngoodvibes said...
^^^^^

How do you know he doesn't?

I think he's got grandkids.

mazdon
1196 posts
22 Feb 2013 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Indodreaming said...
Got to move the sand onwards but should have been set up as permanent bypass system when the beach I assume you are talking about was created.

Could be an all time right hander there with a certain famous body board wave continuing to run down the beach without the crazy return groyne they put in.

Lost a wave, got a wave and then the return went in and wave went again.

Such a shame as it is a swell magnet

you'd lose the specified navigable depth in the cut after a short while without that spur groyne, plus permanent systems have not been proven to be able to deal with the weed that you love showing pictures of here as well bakesy. plus the rock shelf a short depth under the sand makes them less efficient (depth of sand that can be sucked up is really important). plus reducing the amount of sand that actually goes past in any way severely affects the northern mandurah beaches.
the city of mandurah is still looking at a permanent system, the government is too, but when you start talking about tens of millions of tax payers dollars to install and operate - justifying it to tax payers from all over the state becomes more difficult. just saying.

i have a bit to do with it through my work, and happy to talk about the system in more detail with anyone who wants to ask, which i've said on here before.
cheers.

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
22 Feb 2013 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

yeah thought you'd bite on this one Mazdon, hopefully the days of unsafe work practices on a public beach will soon be over, the actual costing you speak of is simply outrageous but we'll leave it up to the politicians, all I know is that if diesel keeps getting spilled into the ocean and large plant continue to be left unprotected on a public beach it will not take much for us to stop this. It will also be awesome to lobby for a series of wave making structures that could possibly be added to the request for a permanent solution to the problem, the potential for a world class right hander is there

mazdon
1196 posts
22 Feb 2013 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

it will certainly be unfortunate if or when they decide to close off that whole section of beach (and possibly ocean) to public access during bypassing operations due to "unsafe practices" as you describe them. more people might get channeled towards a couple of reefies just down the way? better the devil you know now maybe?

but yes, many behind the scenes are actually working towards the surf enhancement options and less beach impact you describe, its just a super slow process unfortunately, but we should still aim/dream for a Mandurah superbank

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
22 Feb 2013 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

bakesy said...
yeah thought you'd bite on this one Mazdon, hopefully the days of unsafe work practices on a public beach will soon be over, the actual costing you speak of is simply outrageous but we'll leave it up to the politicians, all I know is that if diesel keeps getting spilled into the ocean and large plant continue to be left unprotected on a public beach it will not take much for us to stop this. It will also be awesome to lobby for a series of wave making structures that could possibly be added to the request for a permanent solution to the problem, the potential for a world class right hander is there

Any new waves in WA would unreal, but you'd have to keep them secret so not to draw any red thumbs

The surf i had my daughter retired early with a sore knee and my boy (8) and i kept at it. The guys in the line up were even hooting and cheering his rides. The little bugger was doing alright too, the good ones maybe up to 60 feet in total and long face rides trimming after a bottom turn and running down the beach I was super proud to be honest and watching him turn and paddle back out with other surfers chatting away really made me stoked with the crew in the water..

Still makes me smile

This morning i thought id take Latestarters advice and ignore seabeeeze, got up it was blown out so jogged along the beach from Mindarie to Burns Beach and back Hopefully i will regain the use of my legs by the time the wind drops tomorrow..

Indodreaming
379 posts
22 Feb 2013 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Mazdon

The spur could be moved north and be reconfigured to still catch the same volume of sand while creating the beach angle to make a right hander.

The authorities quote millions to shift but if you allowed the sand to fill in it could be done as a land rather than water operation.

We dont want a fingal style structure on the beach and they have nowwhere to place the plant room.

If you shifted and redesigned the trap I am sure you could set up what they have there at the moment in the corner and take some each month every month and it would even create a lagoon for safe swimming.

There are lower costs solutions than the direction the boffins are taking us.

I spoke with a well known ex pro surfer and pro fisherman who had lived through all the changes to the main entrance and dawesville cut.

He went to council suggesting that an extension to the Doddies groyne would capture sand and if correctly angled send it over to the northern side.

Basically despite 30 years of living and breathing the area was told what would you know your just a dumb fisherman

mazdon
1196 posts
23 Feb 2013 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

yeah - that is pretty poor treatment indo, i see it all the time. local knowledge can be pure gold and you ignore at your peril.

like all local gov, Mandurah has the usual divisions or lack of communication through some of its works departments. but i know a couple of the guys that are really proactive with regards to coastal work, and just want good outcomes and aren't afraid to put new ideas on the table.

sent you a pm about the groyne as i feel a bit bad hijacking the daily update, and would rather see pictures of zukes reefies. could be some about in the sheltered spots this arvo... hope everyone gets a few.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
24 Feb 2013 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Absolute circus.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
24 Feb 2013 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Scored the funnest waves I've had in ages yesterday arvo .... Best thing was it was with my bro.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
24 Feb 2013 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

subasurf said...
Absolute circus.

I got some rippers today, best surf in ages!!

mocha1
WA, 933 posts
24 Feb 2013 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

You blokes obviously weren't surfing scab area then....or you are easily pleased
Although a bad day surfing is still better than a good day at work.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
24 Feb 2013 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

mocha1 said...
You blokes obviously weren't surfing scab area then....or you are easily pleased
Although a bad day surfing is still better than a good day at work.

No way was I there I made that mistake yesterday

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
24 Feb 2013 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Good stuff Doggie. Waves looked great up at Trigg but just didn't feel like being part of the crowd. I've got a all expenses paid surf trip in the southwest next week and then the week after so I'll save it for then

mocha1
WA, 933 posts
24 Feb 2013 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Unless "work" involves nudity and jen hawkins and surfing and beer!!!!!!

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
24 Feb 2013 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

You had me at Jen Hawkins.

Oh and we've been provided with jetskis for the trip.
Should be interesting. HOPEFULLY I can get some shots up on here if it all works out.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie